Former President Trump Thread

Necronic

Staff member
lol even Fox is talking shit on the whitehouse for this one.

Like 1 month and they're already banning press.

Yeah none of us saw this coming.

Necronic

Staff member
I truly wonder if Ailes had stuck around if fox would have done this. Fox has been walking a dangerously fine line towards being an almost semi moderate conservative news source.

I truly wonder if Ailes had stuck around if fox would have done this. Fox has been walking a dangerously fine line towards being an almost semi moderate conservative news source.
I don't watch Fox (or any cable news anymore), so you're going to need to elaborate for me. You've still got the Hannitys and Dooceys that all but accuse the Left of being traitors. Who besides Shepard is dragging them towards reality and credibility?

Trump's travel ban throws [the sport of] roller derby into chaos
"If some of our players cannot participate because of racist regulations, the team will not partake in the event," Gothenburg Roller Derby posted to Facebook days after the travel ban was signed. "Sports should be for everyone to participate in, roller derby is an inclusive sport, and we will never accept discrimination on the basis of race, religion or citizenship."
Sorry, @Dei.

--Patrick

Last edited:
"No one's coming? Well, I'll just throw my OWN correspondents dinner! With Putin! And hookers! In fact, forget the dinner!"

Necronic

Staff member
I don't watch Fox (or any cable news anymore), so you're going to need to elaborate for me. You've still got the Hannitys and Dooceys that all but accuse the Left of being traitors. Who besides Shepard is dragging them towards reality and credibility?
So first you have to appreciate that there is a deep difference between Fox Radio and Fox television. But for examples of more "moderate" fox guys you also have Chris Wallace who called out the whole "enemies of media" stuff. Then there's Megyn Kelly.

I think that O.Reilly and Hannity and co are holdovers from the Ailes era. Then you have the old school proper anchors like Wallace (sadly a rare thing), and then you have a new guard like Kelly. I think Fox is wearing a lot of different faces right now and trying to figure out where to go. Still a conservative network, but there's a lot of different types of conservative now.

Before it was just anti-Obama, now that he's gone we're seeing a lot more of their variety come out.

GasBandit

Staff member
Low deductible plans are what has been messing up the whole works from the start. It's always been better to have a high deductible plan with an HSA. You pay out of the HSA for lesser stuff like the flu, but still have insurance for big stuff like cancer or getting hit by a bus.

Granted, 64 is a bit late to set up an HSA, but the argument quoted also seems to think that subsidies come out of a magic machine, and labors under the delusion that the ACA is solvent. That said, I'd really be surprised if it actually gets repealed - I'm sure the Democrats will be able to filibuster because there will be plenty of republicans not willing to fall on their political swords and throw away their careers on yanking out this barbed arrow.

I find it amusing that you think there will be a lot of Republicans not falling in line after everything you've seen the last month. No matter what they do, the same people will still blindly check the R box on their ballot, and they know it.

GasBandit

Staff member
I find it amusing that you think there will be a lot of Republicans not falling in line after everything you've seen the last month. No matter what they do, the same people will still blindly check the R box on their ballot, and they know it.
It's still early in the term, yet.

I remember reading this awhile back, but through a study they found that when it comes to voting, R-voters always vote Republican, and they do it consistently every term. D-voters on the other are a bit more flexible, but often times they either vote Democrat or don't vote at all. It even ended saying that if Democrats (or at least young progressives) had more of a desire to vote rather then opting out so often, we would never have another Republican president.

It rings pretty true to me, since my mother would have probably voted for Satan as long as he had the R next to his name, while most of my Democrat friends just decided to do jack shit last election because "Whats the point?". Anecdotal, yes, but it matches with the study quite a bit. Wish I could find a link to it.

GasBandit

Staff member
I remember reading this awhile back, but through a study they found that when it comes to voting, R-voters always vote Republican, and they do it consistently every term. D-voters on the other are a bit more flexible, but often times they either vote Democrat or don't vote at all. It even ended saying that if Democrats (or at least young progressives) had more of a desire to vote rather then opting out so often, we would never have another Republican president.

It rings pretty true to me, since my mother would have probably voted for Satan as long as he had the R next to his name, while most of my Democrat friends just decided to do jack shit last election because "Whats the point?". Anecdotal, yes, but it matches with the study quite a bit. Wish I could find a link to it.
A lot of R voters sat home in disgust in 2008 and 2012 though, because they didn't want McCain or Romney.

A lot of R voters sat home in disgust in 2008 and 2012 though, because they didn't want McCain or Romney.
It's funny, I searched for "Did republicans stay home..." without finishing that statement and all I get is 2012. This appears to be a narrative, and not one which is well researched or backed up. It looks like Cruz and right wing blogs started this one man. I'm not seeing anything reliable to back this up.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's funny, I searched for "Did republicans stay home..." without finishing that statement and all I get is 2012. This appears to be a narrative, and not one which is well researched or backed up. It looks like Cruz and right wing blogs started this one man. I'm not seeing anything reliable to back this up.
I've been saying it all along , even before Cruz threw his hat in the ring. It's not something that will show up in a Google search though, because unlike the primaries, the general election doesn't ask you what your party is before you vote.

I've been saying it all along , even before Cruz threw his hat in the ring. It's not something that will show up in a Google search though, because unlike the primaries, the general election doesn't ask you what your party is before you vote.
Yeah, but just because you say it doesn't make it true. There isn't any evidence to support your theory.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, but just because you say it doesn't make it true. There isn't any evidence to support your theory.
You're correct, it's more of a general feeling I got over the last 8 years, and it could be wrong, but it definitely wasn't invented by the Cruz campaign.

It's especially hard to get accurate republican numbers given that 2008 was a record year for democrat turnout (being part of an historic election and all that). McCain got about 2 million less votes than Dubya did in 04, though, despite the "all hands on deck" clamor from conservative media attempting to whip everyone into a frenzy, and then Romney got about the same amount and still lost despite a 4 million vote drop for Obama.

And Trump got about the same amount of votes again as 2012 and 2008, whereas Clinton had many less than Obama previously did. Goes to what everybody said, how only Hillary could lose to Trump.

I don't know how often democrat voters cross over and vote republican, but Scythe may be on to something - I don't think R voters cross over, they just show up or stay home.

Low deductible plans are what has been messing up the whole works from the start. It's always been better to have a high deductible plan with an HSA. You pay out of the HSA for lesser stuff like the flu, but still have insurance for big stuff like cancer or getting hit by a bus.

Granted, 64 is a bit late to set up an HSA, but the argument quoted also seems to think that subsidies come out of a magic machine, and labors under the delusion that the ACA is solvent. That said, I'd really be surprised if it actually gets repealed - I'm sure the Democrats will be able to filibuster because there will be plenty of republicans not willing to fall on their political swords and throw away their careers on yanking out this barbed arrow.
Just out of curiosity, what is the definition of a "low deductible plan"? What level of co-pay for medication is the threshold? For doctor visits?