"Transformers 2" is a horrible experience of unbearable leng

Status
Not open for further replies.
To troll: I don't know if you're an alt or not, but if you really don't like it here, you can always leave.

Bubble181 said:
blotsfan said:
Roger Ebert said:
[The humans, including lots of U.S. troops, shoot at the Transformers a lot, although never in the history of science fiction has an alien been harmed by gunfire.

Not a gun, it's a blaster. "real" human weapons, though?

Transformers 2 came out in Japan last Friday. My husband went to see it with some friends and they all hated it.

Pro: Robots were cool.
Cons: Not enough robots. Too much bad human dialog.

Bottom line: If you want to watch this movie just to see some cool explosions, don't. There is way too much crap inbetween the good parts. Just rent the DVD.

Charlie Dont Surf said:
[quote="A Troll":hq6vq681]The pompous asshats in this thread are a perfect example of why I go to this forum less and less.
callow, passive aggressive trolls are the absolute worst kind[/quote:hq6vq681]

:eyeroll:

And I'm out folks. Please enjoy the rest of your thread.

G

GeneralOrder24

Steve said:
Breaking news: Internet nerds complain about a movie. Film at eleven.
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QepgKVOVfZ8:7774c7k2][/youtube:7774c7k2]

Considering the source material who in the world expects this to be The Crying Game? You all can rent Chariots of Fire this weekend and weep with joy but the Transformers is nothing more than giant robots kicking the shit out of each other. That's all I want to see. I could care less if the story is secondary. I'm not paying to see Shia perform his heart out. I'm not paying to examine Megan Fox's thumb on the big screen so I can run back to the internet and profess to all my basement dwelling buddies I wouldn't give her the time of day. I'm paying for the last 45 minutes of the movie which is one giant fight scene with dozens of robots.
A Troll, I've got your back on this one.

-- Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:25 pm --

GeneralOrder24 said:
Steve said:
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QepgKVOVfZ8:486i2egf][/youtube:486i2egf]
Kevin Smith is awesome. I haven't seen that before but that was classic. Protesting his own movie. And I can't believe the local news didn't spend 30 minutes asking him questions. When will that local rag get another chance to corner him.

As much as I loathe the "what are you expecting, (classic critically and/or oscar-winning movie)?" argument, ya'll are coming up with some really odd/curious choices for that blank. English Patient? Crying Game? Chariots of Fire?

Steve said:
Considering the source material who in the world expects this to be The Crying Game? You all can rent Chariots of Fire this weekend and weep with joy but the Transformers is nothing more than giant robots kicking the poop out of each other. That's all I want to see. I could care less if the story is secondary. I'm not paying to see Shia perform his heart out. I'm not paying to examine Megan Fox's thumb on the big screen so I can run back to the internet and profess to all my basement dwelling buddies I wouldn't give her the time of day. I'm paying for the last 45 minutes of the movie which is one giant fight scene with dozens of robots.
A Troll, I've got your back on this one.

-- Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:25 pm --

GeneralOrder24 said:
Steve said:
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QepgKVOVfZ8:3t3vqf9r][/youtube:3t3vqf9r]
Kevin Smith is awesome. I haven't seen that before but that was classic. Protesting his own movie. And I can't believe the local news didn't spend 30 minutes asking him questions. When will that local rag get another chance to corner him.
And that's the biggest problem, you're there to see the action...of which as in the first one, there is minimal that isn't a closeup of people running away from the blurry background relegated robots.

G

Gadzooks

i heard there were more pulled back shots. Did the Internet lie to me? or did you just pull that out of your transformers hating butt :D

Charlie Dont Surf said:
As much as I loathe the "what are you expecting, (classic critically and/or oscar-winning movie)?" argument, ya'll are coming up with some really odd/curious choices for that blank. English Patient? Crying Game? Chariots of Fire?
How about this?

It's a two plus hour live action adaptation of an 80s half hour animated toy commercial? Honestly, to expect any kind of decent plot or even ANY kind of character development is setting the bar too high.

The first movie could have been entertaining, if they had cut out all the stuff with the hackers and the desert guys. Admittedly, doing so would lose the scenes with Scorpinok and most of Frenzy, but if they'd just focused on the kid and Bumblebee, it would've been a much tighter plot and overall movie. I mean, once the giant fight downtown at the end of the first movie starts up, all the development with the hackers and the soldiers meant pretty much diddly squat.

In some ways, I think "Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen" is the movie that fanboys have been slowly but surely placing down payments on for the last 20 years of pop cinema. When I hear people complain that it's overstuffed and indulgent and excessive, I am sort of amazed that they feel the need to point that out. OF COURSE IT IS. That's what Hollywood believes you want. Thanks to the way we've rewarded the lowest common denominator wrapped in the shiniest package, summer after summer after summer, and the way we seem to constantly demand that sequels turn everything up louder, make everything longer, and fill the frame with moremoreMORE, Michael Bay stands astride Hollywood like the perfectly evolved Modern Action Director.
From Drew at HitFix.
The reviews at RT are TERRIBLE, it's sinking below 25 as of tonight. Might rise, but so far it's being called a turd at best and horribly racist at worst.

I think I'm actually going to see it. It's sounding SO BAD that I might need to get drunk and do this.
It's been compared to BATMAN and ROBIN, but WORSE. :aaahhh:

S

Steven Soderburgin

Steve said:
Nerds complain because it wasn't exactly like their nostalgia-filtered memories from their childhood. I'm complaining because it's a poorly made film.

I'm talking about the first movie, here. I don't plan on seeing the second one, but most reviews support this view of it anyway.
A Troll said:
:eyeroll:

And I'm out folks. Please enjoy the rest of your thread.
What will become of this thread without the insightful comments of A Troll?
Steve said:
Considering the source material who in the world expects this to be The Crying Game?
Here's why this is a completely retarded argument: no one is saying they expect or even want Transformers to aspire to high art. There are plenty of legitimately great movies that aren't high art and don't try to be: Die Hard, Jurassic Park, Them!, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Thing, Evil Dead II. These are great movies. What they have and what Transformers lacks is tight scripting, imaginative direction, interesting characters. That is to say, they are extremely well-made films that provide unique experiences. No one wants Citizen Kane every time, and it's stupid to imply that. It is moronic and ridiculous.

Essentially, just because a film does not aspire to be high art does not excuse mediocrity.

-- Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:34 pm --

ThatNickGuy said:
It's a two plus hour live action adaptation of an 80s half hour animated toy commercial? Honestly, to expect any kind of decent plot or even ANY kind of character development is setting the bar too high.
I don't think expecting a film to not insult my intelligence by rewarding stupidity is setting the bar too high, tbqh

S

Steven Soderburgin

TheBrew said:
Ultimately, he gave it one thumbs down and his big complaint was a little inane.
What I got from his review is that he liked the movie, but was sort of grumpy about liking it. I don't find his complaint to be inaccurate.

Cajungal

Staff member
Kissinger said:
ThatNickGuy said:
I don't think expecting a film to not insult my intelligence by rewarding stupidity is setting the bar too high, tbqh
:\ I wouldn't use "expect." I'd say "hope." There are people in every career who are either bad at what they do or take on work that is probably not suited for them, and film is no exception. We can hope that a director who's not suited to do a certain project won't disappoint... but to expect them not to do poorly might be asking a bit too much. It doesn't mean he's not competent at other things--but maybe not this project.

Me, I'm not expecting OR hoping anything in regards to this movie. I was never really into Transformers then, so I feel I don't have a reason to go. If there seemed to be a reason besides "I watched that when I was a kid!" I'd definitely try it out.... maybe not too eagerly after that first one though.

Kissinger said:
Nerds complain because it wasn't exactly like their nostalgia-filtered memories from their childhood.
No one in this thread that I've noticed hated it for not being that shitty cartoon we watched as kids. No one cares that it isn't.

Cajungal

Staff member
I'd like to add, actually, that we SHOULD be able to expect people to do their job well without seeming unrealistic. But, ya know, imperfect world and all that. I won't stop anyone from making the expectations they want to make. But yeah...

S

Steven Soderburgin

Cajungal said:
I'd like to add, actually, that we SHOULD be able to expect people to do their job well without seeming unrealistic. But, ya know, imperfect world and all that. I won't stop anyone from making the expectations they want to make. But yeah...
I was going to respond to your post with this, but for the most part I agree with what you're saying.

-- Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:05 pm --

Frankie said:
No one in this thread that I've noticed hated it for not being that shitty cartoon we watched as kids. No one cares that it isn't.
I'd be willing to bet that most people who are vehemently defending the first film would take issue with calling the cartoon "shitty."

But this is a point I'm not really interested in arguing too strongly about because what you responded to was just me being flippant.

Kissinger said:
Cajungal said:
I was going to respond to your post with this, but for the most part I agree with what you're saying.

-- Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:05 pm --

Frankie said:
I'd be willing to bet that most people who are vehemently defending the first film would take issue with calling the cartoon "shitty."

But this is a point I'm not really interested in arguing too strongly about because what you responded to was just me being flippant.
Heh, don't get me wrong, I loved the cartoon as a kid and it still holds a soft spot in my heart. Hell, I collected the toys into my adulthood (where my current nomadic circumstances meant I gave the collection to some kids) but even I can admit that the 80's cartoon was bad, like most 80's toy commercial cartoons.

ThatNickGuy said:
I don't think people are upset at lack of plot or character developtment. I think they're upset at lack of Transformers vs Human scenes and terrible "action shots" where you can't tell what the hell is going on in the scene.

Cajungal

Staff member
It sure is fun, though, to go back and watch stuff that we thought was cool as kids. It's almost shocking how ridiculous it is. 'Makes me realize that kids' TV isn't getting worse... I just know it sucks before the kids do.

Cajungal said:
It sure is fun, though, to go back and watch stuff that we thought was cool as kids. It's almost shocking how ridiculous it is. 'Makes me realize that kids' TV isn't getting worse... I just know it sucks before the kids do.
No, it's getting worse.

S

Steven Soderburgin

Shegokigo said:
No, it's getting worse.
Honestly, modern children's television is far better than what you and I had as kids. The past 5-10 years has seen some really remarkable kids shows.

Kissinger said:
Honestly, modern children's television is far better than what you and I had as kids. The past 5-10 years has seen some really remarkable kids shows.
I disagree on all levels, then again I didn't watch alot of my kids shows as most others did as I was exposed to alot of anime.

I just saw it.

And I liked it. :D

It's stupid, inane, insulting, sometimes even dizzying... but man was I laughing. Either Michael Bay is really one of the most dense people on Earth, or he's a fracking genius and put one over the critics. I mean, there times when the self-parodying reached levels that couldn't have been anything but deliberate.

In some way, I hope this is Bay's criticism of modern Hollywood.

In reality, I know it's the eye-candy blockbuster empty film of the year. We've been rewarding these for years... and, make no mistake, no matter what the critics say.. it's gonna make a killing. I went on opening day on a fracking Tuesday and the theater was packed. TUESDAY.

I'm probably not gonna ever see it again, but I'm glad I did see it. I don't feel like I wasted my two hours, this is... this is something you just have to see. Even if just to learn what the world is coming to.

Calleja said:
I'm probably not gonna ever see it again, but I'm glad I did see it. I don't feel like I wasted my two hours, this is... this is something you just have to see. Even if just to learn what the world is coming to.
I will, on Netflix, for free. That's exactly what it deserves from me.

Cajungal

Staff member
I'll be honest, I don't watch enough kid's shows right now to know how i really feel about it. I've seen really crappy and really great--just like I did when I was younger. The youth culture is changing, too, and so certain things are starting to escape us. DAMN KIDS!

T

Twitch

When I go to watch Jurassic Park I don't go for the social commentary. There is no deep soul searching in that movie. I did not learn a valuable lesson other than how not to hunt raptors. I went in to Jurassic Park expecting Dinosaurs to rip the shit out of stuff. I got Dinosaurs ripping the shit out of shit and one of my favorite movies of all time. JP did not make me think but I had a damn good time watching an excellent piece of film, this is not offered by Transformers. Does this make me an elitist dick?

Cajungal

Staff member
Twitch said:
When I go to watch Jurassic Park I don't go for the social commentary. There is no deep soul searching in that movie. I did not learn a valuable lesson other than how not to hunt raptors. I went in to Jurassic Park expecting Dinosaurs to rip the shit out of stuff. I got Dinosaurs ripping the shit out of shit and one of my favorite movies of all time. JP did not make me think but I had a damn good time watching an excellent piece of film, this is not offered by Transformers. Does this make me an elitist dick?
Dude. DUDE. The very poignant lesson is to always travel with a neurotic vegetarian computer nerd, because you never know when she'll be able to save you from a dinosaur attack by hacking into a corny 90s computer system.

T

Twitch

Cajungal said:
Twitch said:
Dude. DUDE. The very poignant lesson is to always travel with a neurotic vegetarian computer nerd, because you never know when she'll be able to save you from a dinosaur attack by hacking into a corny 90s computer system.
I always thought it was interesting that in the book the girl is a useless bag of meat and in the movie they switch the two kids...

Status
Not open for further replies.