[Gaming] Tragic the Garnering

I don't even play magic, and I can tell... Nothing, actually. I have no idea what any of this means, why do I even click on this thread?
If anything like me, you are curious every so often what is happening on the front of one of the most popular games in the world. I just have the added bonus of having played it for 6 years.

Chris Rush was the original great Magic artist. His skill with colour still puts most of the current digital artists to shame.

and
are great examples of this.

Rathi Dragons looks shiity
As a card? Yeah, well, old creatures sucked compared to modern creatures. If you're talking about the art, we're gonna haveta fist fight.

Not everything can be as good as my current favorite Standard beastie:

2 mana for a 4/5 lord with vigilance? Sure, I'll take it.

Or this fella that ruled Standard for an entire year:

A 4/5 trample for 4 that also fucking lightning helixes (
)? Fuck off.

Last edited:

Zappit

Staff member
Magic has a Reserved List, cards that will never, ever, ever be reprinted. It also features major Legacy staples like the original dual lands.

It looks like now that things have been announced, the secondary market is responding by raising prices on those Reserved List cards. A few staples might go down due to the reprints, but a lot will go up significantly.

Looks like those ultra-realistic Chinese proxies might see an uptick in interest.

Just cleared out the bulk of my collection. Took all fucking day. Threw out 2 recycle bags way to heavy to lift of trash old cards that aren't worth their cardboard.

Down to just two three row long boxes of rares and playables.

Just cleared out the bulk of my collection. Took all fucking day. Threw out 2 recycle bags way to heavy to lift of trash old cards that aren't worth their cardboard.

Down to just two three row long boxes of rares and playables.
Aww. I bet some artist out there is disappointed.

--Patrick

Zappit

Staff member
Modern had some shockwaves today with a ban on Eye of Ugin and a pair of unbans - Ancestral Visions and Sword of the Meek.

Of course, the market reacted accordingly. The three dollar Sword is now thirty, and the ten dollar Visions is sixty, minimum. My collection just gained another two hundred bucks in value. Nice.

Zappit

Staff member
Martin Shkreli, who you might know better as the PharmaBro, has decided to start buying up Reserved List cards. As someone who enjoys formats that use those cards - EDH and Legacy - I can only say...FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKK....

Martin Shkreli, who you might know better as the PharmaBro, has decided to start buying up Reserved List cards. As someone who enjoys formats that use those cards - EDH and Legacy - I can only say...FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKK....
And he's almost certainly doing it to drive up the price of his own cards. I would not be surprised if this is the straw that finally breaks Wizard's back and forces them to end the Gentlemen's Agreement with the collectors. It's bad enough you NEED reserved list cards to win at a high level but if a large number of them suddenly end up in the hands of someone who never intends to play them, it's time to tell the collectors to fuck themselves for the good of the game.

I feel the same way about stamp collectors who buy the only other one of something in existence and then burn it because it will make the one they kept that much more valuable.

--Patrick

Zappit

Staff member
The thing holding back the Reserved List elimination isn't necessarily the collectors, but the stores that depend on selling singles. They don't make enough on sealed product, so selling individual cards are what keep those places going. Considering they also host tournaments, FNMs, and other sanctioned events, harming those businesses would be a big hit to WoTC themselves. They don't want to crater prices with a big reprint like a Standard set. That wouldn't be shooting themselves in the foot - it would be shoving the whole leg into a wood chipper.

But a Masters set wouldn't hurt prices much. Low print runs, and moving chase cards to mythic has kept prices stable. Hell, Tarmogoyf was reprinted THREE times and it's price has actually grown over time. It would be enough to keep the high-capital buyout-frenzied "capitalists" who are exploiting an unregulated market out of the game, stabilize prices, and put more cards in circulation, giving more people access to the cards. EDH and Legacy have seen favorite cards skyrocket in price over the last two weeks because of a very, very tiny group of individuals with a lot of money and even more greed. Not and exaggeration, as one of those high-rollers bought out Moat and rose its price by roughly $800. He also bought out other cards, raising their prices nearly five times their previous selling price.

Death the reserve list.

What they should do is the Masters thing with Legacy and be more fucking liberal with the Modern reprints.

Zappit

Staff member
Good news is that TCGplayer, which is the biggest pricing aggregator, is changing their data collection effective immediately to blunt the manipulation of median prices, which are easiest to inflate. It should be a huge help in preventing the ridiculous price jumps.

Finally got my Super Friend EDH deck almost finished. Just ordered the last few planeswalkers I needed.

God damn this deck is expensive.

Only thing I'll be missing is the new Tamiyo. Hopefully I get one this weekend at pre-release.

Zappit

Staff member
A PAIR!

Feck.
I'm really only just a set of Wastelands away from my Pox build. The other one is an attempt to make the Donate-Illiuions of Grandeur deck viable again. Failing that, I do have nearly all the pieces for Merfolk.

Zappit

Staff member
Honestly, this set gives me Urza Block feelings. Terrific, colorful art, lots of artifacts, an emphasis on artificers being able to create...

Looks fun, too.

Went to a prerelease.

My deck was mono-red dragsters since I opened three of them, two dragons and the red Gearhulk.

I got 30 packs of Magic the Gathering tonight for 40 bucks.

I hauled ass in my dragulas.

3 of these:

2 of these (one foil):

1 of these:

Also got this badboi:

The dragons were the mvps. Oh, first striking flying 8/3's are good in sealed? Who'da thought?