[Gaming] Tragic the Garnering

So... the gimmick is the vehicles are basically cheap, efficient creatures that you need to activate with other creatures after their first turn? Okay, that's interesting at least.

The set is super fun. There's no world ending ultimate evil going on. It's just literally a steampunk inventor's fair where some no goodnicks are up to no good.

Vehicles are one gimmick, another is a new resource called energy.

Here's a great example:

It's...it's an artifact ball lightning!

A Dragon Whelp with haste and first strike but no dying from overload? Sign me up!

--Patrick

Zappit

Staff member
Dang, that's a potent draft deck. But yeah, @ParThom, colored artifacts have been around for awhile now. I think it goes all the way back to the Alara block.

Dang, that's a potent draft deck. But yeah, @ParThom, colored artifacts have been around for awhile now. I think it goes all the way back to the Alara block.
An even more potent sealed deck.

It is how I won 24 packs at a prerelease.

Zappit

Staff member
Commander spoilers are starting. Who's ready for four-color commanders? Who's ready for double commanders?

So I made a new Super Friends Commander deck with

And basically was told after a handful of games that I wasn't allowed to play it anymore. It's just too good. There's nothing that feels worse than making a deck so overpoweringly oppressive that no one wants to play it anymore. Huge bummer.

Fuckers are lucky I didn't make a deck out of this asshole

Wizards just show that they hate EDH by printing this card. The literal most oppressive card ever printed in the format.

Zappit

Staff member
I too am building Atraxa, but I'm not going super friends. I chose to use some fun stuff like Darksteel Reactor and Azor's Elocuters.

My FLGS had all the 2016 Commander decks for 50% off this week for Boxing week sales.

So I bought all the ones I didn't have. 66 bucks for 3 decks? Rad.

Zappit

Staff member
Anyone else looking forward to Modern Masters 3? It's the one that doesn't suck and reprinted cards people really wanted.

Still not enough to buy it. Watching some unboxings, there's too many RtR cards at mythic and I don't need any more Sphinx's Revs or the like. The rest of the reprints are great but I'm just hoping that it'll drop the price of Damnation a bit so I can snatch one or two.

Man, this is a humble brag I know, but my Commander decks are just too powerful for my playgroup. Like, the last one I made I did without using any online deckbuilding tools, I just went through my boxes and built a quick little Maelstrom Wanderer deck without extra turns or a lot of the stuff that makes Maelstrom Wanderer busted, but I still steamrolled all my friends without difficulty.

I'm having a hell of a time trying to 75% my decks where they still work and are powerful but have weaknesses and lose so my buddies all don't just get sick of losing to me all the time.

Even half-ass building a deck it still kicked the holy shit out of them because it ended up being too explosively powerful. Maelstrom Wanderer hitting Selvala's Stampede and Thunderfoot Baloth. God damn it. I got 6 huge beasties with trample and haste and +2/+2 for the price of one.

I think I'm just gonna stick to precons for a while.

I built a "group hug" deck. It's in quotes because it's Nekusar, the Mind Razor.

So, it's built around drawing everyone a ton of cards while still giving papa a little something when it dings them for the pleasure. I even avoided wheel effects to avoid the cheese wheel (I already have a supremely over-powered cheese wheel deck in Niv-Mizzet that exists only to punish competitive players at the LGS who netdeck their commander decks). It took all my restraint NOT to put Jin Gitaxis in the deck like a dick.

So, it's built around drawing everyone a ton of cards while still giving papa a little something when it dings them for the pleasure.
You make me miss Howling Mine.
And Library of Leng.
And Ivory Tower.
And having 4 of each in my deck.

--Patrick

Zombie tribal though!

I do miss standard though. Last time I played was back in the RTR/Theros days with a little bit of Khans.

Zappit

Staff member
I just wish there was a more robust Legacy community in my area. There's a lot of Standard, (blech) Modern, (good) and Commander, (also good) but Legacy is pretty much dead. It's a shame, because it is by far my favorite format.

Yeah, Ur-Dragon is going to be my buddy's 2 mana transform for Scion and he gets to play omniscience for free.

Looking forward to Scion decks being even more annoying to deal with.

I wonder how that would affect ye olde Mishra's Factory + Consecrate Land combo (since it does not actually contain the term "Indestructible").

--Patrick

I wonder how that would affect ye olde Mishra's Factory + Consecrate Land combo (since it does not actually contain the term "Indestructible").

--Patrick
It's been Oracle texted to be indestructable. They do that with a lot of old cards. All old cards have been given specific creature types too.

Ah, I wasn't sure it'd specifically been changed to be "indestructible."
Do you think this'll bring back any of the Teferi cards and give RU decks a boost? Or are all the phasing cards out of play now?

--Patrick