[Gaming] Tragic the Garnering

I'm suddenly filled with the urge (after playing some Duels 2013) to make a blue/white/green enchantment based EDH deck. The only bummer is the cost of the mana base usually (even skipping the fetches and real duals).

Zappit

Staff member
Go blue/white. Make Bruna your commander. Most of the top utility auras are in her colors.

What could work with this?

Necronic

Staff member
Jesus christ those creatures. So glad I stopped playing that game.

Not super happy that I lots all my Arabian Nights, Antiquities, and other valuable cards like my Moxes. I think the only valuable card I have any more is a severely tattered Word of Command from Beta or...whatever the first reprint of beta is....ultima?

edit: Holy fuck I just looked up how much a mox is worth.

fml....I think my collection would have put a sizeable down payment on a car....

edit: I keep looking up cards. Why am I DOING THIS. I am getting nauseous.

Jesus christ those creatures. So glad I stopped playing that game.

Not super happy that I lots all my Arabian Nights, Antiquities, and other valuable cards like my Moxes. I think the only valuable card I have any more is a severely tattered Word of Command from Beta or...whatever the first reprint of beta is....ultima?

edit: Holy fuck I just looked up how much a mox is worth.

fml....I think my collection would have put a sizeable down payment on a car....

edit: I keep looking up cards. Why am I DOING THIS. I am getting nauseous.
"Unlimited"

I still mean to catalog all my cards and eBay 'em or something. I don't think I'll make back the entire $3-4k I spent on them, but whatever.

--Patrick

On that note - anybody have any suggestions on where to post to sell a collection? Started using deckbox to catalog my collection. I have over 1K of rares, mostly from RV on up. Have another 5K box of uncommons & countless commons. Catalogued about 500 rares so far of basic sets up to 8E, AN, AQ, LG & DK. Whatever deckbox uses for values has it around $1800 so far. Most of those are chump rares worth 25c or less, but I do have a Bazaar of Baghdad & 5 dual lands so far. Looking around at prices I know I have some big ticket items left to catalog (Gaea's Cradles, Serra's Sanctums etc)

I know how it works. Not gonna get top dollar. But since I'm not really a "motivated seller", I can take or leave it. Would prefer to get rid of the whole shebang rather than allow it to get picked over leaving me with all the garbage. Problem is, asking price & volume are probably gonna be somewhat prohibitive. Long, long ago when I sold off all my REAL moneymakers (*sigh) i did it thru usenet boards (alt.games.mtg? I think), but I doubt those are as populated as they once were.

Anyways, any suggestions are welcomed. I do also plan on checking with my local shop first, but i've dealt with him before, so that's a crapshoot. It'll all depend on what it all values at once I'm done cataloguing.

Zappit

Staff member
On that note - anybody have any suggestions on where to post to sell a collection? Started using deckbox to catalog my collection. I have over 1K of rares, mostly from RV on up. Have another 5K box of uncommons & countless commons. Catalogued about 500 rares so far of basic sets up to 8E, AN, AQ, LG & DK. Whatever deckbox uses for values has it around $1800 so far. Most of those are chump rares worth 25c or less, but I do have a Bazaar of Baghdad & 5 dual lands so far. Looking around at prices I know I have some big ticket items left to catalog (Gaea's Cradles, Serra's Sanctums etc)

I know how it works. Not gonna get top dollar. But since I'm not really a "motivated seller", I can take or leave it. Would prefer to get rid of the whole shebang rather than allow it to get picked over leaving me with all the garbage. Problem is, asking price & volume are probably gonna be somewhat prohibitive. Long, long ago when I sold off all my REAL moneymakers (*sigh) i did it thru usenet boards (alt.games.mtg? I think), but I doubt those are as populated as they once were.

Anyways, any suggestions are welcomed. I do also plan on checking with my local shop first, but i've dealt with him before, so that's a crapshoot. It'll all depend on what it all values at once I'm done cataloguing.
Starcity Games has one of the better buylists out there. You'll probably get more value from them, especially if you're dealing with older cards, as they're really the only entity really supporting the popular Legacy format.

So, I'm a little type 2 burnt out. I've had enough of mutavault and pack rat to last a life time.

Conspiracy looks fun as hell.

Last year a 9.5 rated Alpha Black Lotus sold for $27,000. I'd be excited too if I opened a box of cards and somehow found a car.

So, I know @Bowielee has talked about getting into Magic recently. I too have been enjoying a lot more EDH/Commander play than I had before. This is the deck I just built:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/17-08-15-skullbriar-edh/

It's relatively competitive without resorting to super fast infinite combos and land destruction. It's super fun to play and ramps quick like a mother fucker, making sure Skullbriar (the commander) is always in play.

Zappit

Staff member
First glance, Frank, that deck could really benefit from the following:
Lightning Greaves - protect that commander
Forgotten Ancient - really helps pump Skullbriar
Maelstrom Pulse - wipes out tokens, too
Uvenwald Tracker - reusable removal when you have a fattie in play

Maelstrom Pulse is in it. I didn't have anymore Lightning Greaves, already used them all in other decks. I do need a reusable fight card, that's true and Fight Bear is always the best choice, because it's effing Fight Bear. Forgotten Ancient is a good call as well.

Holy shit, I have 12 Commander decks now. I may have a problem. I generally refuse to run nonsense like Jhoira of the Ghitu (Eldrazi on turn 4, FUN FOR EVERYONE!).

1. Zombay, Zombay, Zomba-ay-ay-ay!, used to use Lim-Dul the Necromancer as the commander, but now runs a ton more token generators and this foxy lady.

2. Chicks Dig Giant Robots! Colourless artifact deck starring good ole Karn the Silver Golem as Commander. Features such friendlies as Blightsteel Colossus and Darksteel Colossus and pretty much every colossus in Magic, except for Sardia, because he's terrible. This deck is hilariously unassuming playing tons of low cost utility artifacts until I suddenly have an army of indestructible colossi.

3. Izzet Me? Izzet You? Izzet shenanigans deck starring Melek, the Izzet Paragon. It's basically Storm using Sphinx Bone Wand.

4. I HUNGER!! This is a red green token deck with Thromok the Insatiable. I make tokens and Thromok eats them. Then Thromok eats my opponents. Or I wish he did. This one is the most in need of retooling. It rarely works properly.

5. Dead Angels. Angel reanimator deck starring Tariel, the Reckoner of Souls. This deck has so many mana rocks that if I start the game with my Sol Ring it's almost guaranteed that I'll have 4-5 mana available by turn 2. Which is almost in range to start casting angels! Also, her art is by Wayne Reynolds of a shitload of Pathfinder and D&D whom I adore.

6. Madness from the Deep. A mono-blue Cthulhu themed deck featuring tons of deep sea monstrosities and amazing effects that turn other people's creatures against theme. Super thematic but surprisingly powerful. This deck makes me target number one unless someone at the table is playing some nonsense like Brago or Kaalia.

7. It's a HELL of a Party! Rakdos demon themed with new Rakdos at the lead. This deck can have my hand empty of 7+ casting cost demons as soon as turn 4. I've won games on turn 4-5 against 4 opponents through sheer aggressiveness. Sometimes it flops around and does nothing. It's why no one can be sure when I play this fun as hell deck.

8. Some People Just Want to Watch the World Burn. Ashling the Pilgrim. Lots of burn everything spells. Lots of ways to give her protection red, lifelink and deathtouch. When she's equipped with Loxodon Warhammer or Basilisk Collar, I get to watch my life total go from 20-40 to 200+ in big kaboom. This deck is great fun for me. She's also done by Wayne Reynolds, which sells her for me completely.

9. Worshippers of the False God. An Allies tribal deck with Karona the False God at the helm. It's derpy and silly and not great, especially against tribal decks like Slivers but it's usually fun to dick around with and it's a way to cool off aggro on myself when I've been playing stuff like Ashling and Lorthos.

10. Justice League Dominaria. Yessir, another 5 colour deck. This time led by Cromat, because, whatever, the commander doesn't matter. It's got 23 of the 24 separate named planeswalkers in it (no Tibalt because he's awful). Some take extra turn effects, some proliferate effects, the chain veil etc. Unfortunately, I'm not willing to throw down 100+ dollars for a Jace the Mind Sculptor so it'll probably always be just a bit sub-optimal. It's friggin' rad to run though.

11. Rats, Foiled Again! Monoblack Rat tribal with 25 Relentless Rats and a bunch of other rats. There's a lot of fucking rats. There were a couple of good choices for commander of the deck, but Marrow-Gnawer is done by Wayne Reynolds, so he wins (also, he's the best choice).

12. What's Yours is Mine and What's Mine is Mine! Grixis deck with Marchesa the Black Rose at the helm. It's got about 12 different ways to steal other people's creatures and probably twice that many ways to sacrifice them so they become permanently under my control. Of all my decks, this one draws the most heat from people. People do not like this budgetish deck taking their expensive ass cards and giving them to me. I've literally never won with this deck because it really isn't that good, people just hate it.

13. I haven't come up with a name for this black/green aggressive deck featuring Skullbriar. The full list for this one is up above. I'm still waiting on some singles for this deck to arrive before I can try it. I'm excited to!

Anyone else play much (any) Commander?

Zappit

Staff member
I've got six Commander decks right now. I just took my Cromat deck apart a few days ago and retooled it to Scion of the Ur-Dragon. Which is a lot of fun with lots of reanimation spells. That's my only casual EDH deck, though.

Well, my Thromok deck has been retooled into a:

Deck. It's INFINITELY better. Now, instead of shitty token generators, he generates tokens out of amazing ETB creatures. Features such staples as Inferno Titan and Thundermaw Hellkite and about 2000 different ramp cards.

Also, with these Battle for Zendikar spoilers abound I've gotten a lot of new allies for my allies deck and more excitingly, a 5 colour (would be 4 colour if there were a 4 colour Legendary that excluded white) mostly colourless (DEVOIIIIID) Eldrazi deck. I decided to go with Progenitus as the commander since he's the closest in scale and power to an actual Eldrazi. I'm just gonna pretend his name is Progenrakul or something. I've only had to exclude a few of the Eldrazi creatures so far (Like Spawnsire). It's SUPER thematic and I can't wait to play a game of Commander Archenemy with this deck as the big villain.

... does that effect duplicate the pumped value of spells or just the spell itself? For instance, if I pay BR to copy a 10 point Fireball, do I suddenly have 2 10-point fireballs or one pumped and one unpumped?

Still, you could wreck shit with just Lightning Bolts.

Yeah, if a spell has X as a component, the value of X is copied.

His creature copying ability (along with Doubling Season and the like) are why I'm playing him, though being able to double a Cultivate or an Explosive Vegetation would be great too.

Zappit

Staff member
Howl of the Horde, Frank. It triples a sorcery or instant after an attack. Double it with Riku, and that means you get NINE copies of the NEXT instant or sorcery. Play that Lightning Bolt after that for 27 damage for six mana.

Zappit

Staff member
The Urza lands are already HUGE in the Modern format, but the next block is going back to Innistrad.

What the new symbol does is give colorless EDH decks a basic land, and create a lot of player confusion for newer players.

Unless they give players a pack of the new wastes as part of the prerelease, I can see it being a bit of a mess. Here's a basic land no one has any of and a ton of cards that need it!

Colorless being it's own specific mana type does absolutely mean that Cloudpost will never, ever, for any reason, ever be unbanned.

The Urza lands are already HUGE in the Modern format, but the next block is going back to Innistrad.
I didn't mean Urza specifically, just mainly that we would see people go back to doing the whole "Gobs o' colorless mana" thing.

--Patrick

I haven't played Magic in 10 years and even I can see how that would be broken.
It only became easier to break until they had to ban it. Cards like Vesuva or Thespian's Stage plus Cloudpost meant like nigh infinite colorless.

[DOUBLEPOST=1452744937,1452744470][/DOUBLEPOST]Speaking of magic. In my playgroup, I'm definitely the Izzet guy. I love blue/red. It's the best. My group is getting increasingly competitive with our Commander games, which is kind of unfortunate since I don't like the games as much as when they were much more casual fun loving games. Everyone else is getting ridiculous, so I got ridiculous. I present my masterpiece, Niv-Mizzet's wacky funky hand discardathon emporium of stupidity.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/niv-mizzet-edh-madness/

Now, would I like to have a Snapcaster or Cryptic Command in there, yes. I'm not shelling out nearly a c-note for a Snapcaster for this deck and I haven't gotten around to picking up any CCs.

Zappit

Staff member
Unless they give players a pack of the new wastes as part of the prerelease, I can see it being a bit of a mess. Here's a basic land no one has any of and a ton of cards that need it!

Colorless being it's own specific mana type does absolutely mean that Cloudpost will never, ever, for any reason, ever be unbanned.
No, the fun part is that every land that adds colorless mana is essentially errata'd to add the new colorless symbol instead.

But it does sound like there will be a healthy amount of Wastes out there. This set is getting a HUGE printing, and Wastes are seeded to be more common in packs.

And let's face it, Cloudpost will never, EVER be unbanned. They've printed a second locus land since, and Vesuva is still legal.

Zappit

Staff member
Well, if anyone plays Modern, you probably heard the ban news today. Summer Bloom got the axe, to no one's surprise, and Splinter Twin got banned, which was bullshit. Aaron Forsythe also basically admitted that the only reason they banned Twin was to shake up the format for the upcoming Modern Pro Tour. They did the same thing last year with Birthing Pod, except that was more justified, as it really did dominate to an extreme degree. Twin decks, however, we're only roughly 10-12% of the metagame, and served to keep other decks in check, such as Urzatron, which should become a real juggernaut now.

The message was made clear. A Tier 1 deck will be banned every year in order to freshen up the meta for the Pro Tour. I don't really play competitively, but I'm angry about it anyway. WoTC laid out the goals and definition for Modern and what the banlist criteria was right at the beginning, and the Twin ban flies in the face of all of that.

Playing modern is gambling now to an insane degree. Spend 2000 dollars on a deck, hope it doesn't get banned.

Zappit

Staff member
Playing modern is gambling now to an insane degree. Spend 2000 dollars on a deck, hope it doesn't get banned.
It really is. They reprinted Twin in Modern Masters 2015, but banned it several months later? You know they were planning on taking a step like this, so it was extremely misleading of Wizards.