TIL: Today I Learned

TIL that if I were to take I-19 down to Nogales, Arizona, and then turn around without going into Mexico, I'd still be stopped by a Border Patrol checkpoint about 25 miles back north on I-19.

GasBandit

Staff member
TIL: that the Union army was so named because it was fighting to keep the USA a single union of states.
I guess that's not something that would be emphasized in Canadian primary education, huh. They cover that in Elementary school, for us. At least, they did 30+ years ago, I don't know if that's still the case.

For us the teachings were like the Simpson's citizenship test. It was about slavery, that's it, just slavery. North had money and ships and starved the south to death and a whole bunch died at Gettysburg. Apparently there was a general named Sherman who was not very nice and Grant was a Zapp Branigan tactician.

I guess that's not something that would be emphasized in Canadian primary education, huh. They cover that in Elementary school, for us. At least, they did 30+ years ago, I don't know if that's still the case.
It should be part of the 4th-5th Social Studies standards in California, with a solid return in 8th and 11th grade. I can’t speak to other states’ standards.

For us the teachings were like the Simpson's citizenship test. It was about slavery, that's it, just slavery. North had money and ships and starved the south to death and a whole bunch died at Gettysburg. Apparently there was a general named Sherman who was not very nice and Grant was a Zapp Branigan tactician.
I feel like there’s a lot of details missing, but that sums it up well enough. It’s especially good considering it’s history from a neighboring country. I doubt the average American student hears much about Canadian history in school.

I feel like there’s a lot of details missing, but that sums it up well enough. It’s especially good considering it’s history from a neighboring country. I doubt the average American student hears much about Canadian history in school.
Please have your essays on Laura Secord ready for Tuesday. Three pages double spaced.

figmentPez

Staff member
This is the first I've ever heard of Hook being a little known or unliked movie. I would have assumed it was a success, since generally people seem to get references to the movie. People know Rufio, and bangarang!

*googles*

Huh, turns out it was reviewed poorly by critics. I never knew that. Fans like it, though.

Huh, turns out it was reviewed poorly by critics. I never knew that. Fans like it, though.
Oh yeah, it was panned HARD when it came out. I don’t know how much of that was because those critics secretly wanted a different movie. They seemed especially upset with the whole “...you broke your house!” scene for some reason.

—Patrick

When it came out, every one I know saw it or saw it on video. I liked it then, and when I watched it again a few months ago, I still like it.

Oh yeah, it was panned HARD when it came out. I don’t know how much of that was because those critics secretly wanted a different movie. They seemed especially upset with the whole “...you broke your house!” scene for some reason.

—Patrick
Pun not intended?

My iPhone is weird and I can’t set bookmarks so I leave them open. Our daughter has claimed my iPad so some of those aren’t mine. Or at least I sure hope not lol.

If it takes that many to find what you need, maybe you're just not in the mood?
Years worth of browsing and I keep them open. I have one for here, one for the Pokédex, one for PoE trade etc etc

My new laptop has bookmarks and I close every window when I’m done like an adult. I promise.
Post automatically merged:

This should not be a thing. Unless your iPhone and iPad share the same ID and so your daughter is deleting them right after you add them?

--Patrick
That wouldn’t surprise me.

She did things to the layout of my iPad....

Not much to add, the video covers it pretty well.

I've seen some funeral processions and services with strippers and pole dancers before, but they were much more common in my youth (in the 80s and 90s) compared to the modern day. I honestly couldn't tell you why there are funeral strippers though. Is it meant to draw more people to your funeral? Possibly. Is it a way to send off the deceased in glamor and glitz? Maybe. Is it just an excuse to see some strippers and pole dancers? Also possible.

Funnily enough, though, funerals are not the only places you'd see strippers. I've also seen strippers pop up at religious festivals, political rallies, weddings, outdoor concerts, etc. Again, much more common when I was a kid, much less common these days.

Also, Taiwan is home to betel nut beauties. They're less common these days after the government started cracking down on them, but for a while they were a really unique and beautiful part of Taiwanese culture.

I guess the Taiwanese just really like strippers.