TIL: Today I Learned

TIL that not only is the iconic HBO intro from the 80s all practical effects, but the HBO logo is not a piece of animation, but actual chrome plated brass letters fitted with fiberoptic lights in the O, and the level of detail in the city is so great they even have bums and hookers...

TIL about the idea of an Owl Jacket (hey @Bubble181). The idea being you buy 2 jackets - one to wear, and the 2nd Owl Jacket to hang over the back of your chair at work so it looks like you're still at work, just not at your desk when you're actually skiving off to the local coffee shop!

Hyper-geeky version:

TIL that you can use the std::tie function to easily make comparison functions for structures in C++. Works great in fact. I kind of wish this was the default for structures in C++, but that may be too automated for some.

TIL-the love entity of the Emotional spectrum in the Green Lantern mythos is called...the predator....PFFHAHAHAHAHAHA! That...that's hilariously awful, all the other entities have generally clever names but...THE PREDATOR?!

I was just reading about that. I feel for the people who were completely unprepared for what they were thrown into.
Here's the message currently on their website (since it seems to be having trouble loading right now)
fyrebye.jpg

--Patrick