Not open for further replies.

GasBandit

Staff member
Chibibar said:
Denbrought said:
GasBandit said:
Chibibar said:
Here is my question.

Why even vote for a president when they have a Supreme Leader that you can't remove (unless a revolution) and High council (life term clerics) that cannot be remove and oversee EVERYTHING. Basically no checks and balance at all.

Why even bother to vote?
It makes the dumb masses feel like they have control of their own destiny a little bit. Kind of like the functionless steering wheel on the kiddy cars you push toddlers around in.
Yep, systems like Iran's or the US' are sad examples of that.
Sadly I have to agree that the U.S. system is "kinda" similar in terms of two party system and electoral college. I mean we DO have the tech to do pure democracy but then the two party system might not be two party anymore. Sure you have other parties, but I don't see them in the President's chair anytime soon.
Or even in the federal legislature. And I'm saying that as a card carrying Libertarian.

Chibibar said:
Denbrought said:
GasBandit said:
Chibibar said:
Here is my question.

Why even vote for a president when they have a Supreme Leader that you can't remove (unless a revolution) and High council (life term clerics) that cannot be remove and oversee EVERYTHING. Basically no checks and balance at all.

Why even bother to vote?
It makes the dumb masses feel like they have control of their own destiny a little bit. Kind of like the functionless steering wheel on the kiddy cars you push toddlers around in.
Sadly I have to agree that the U.S. system is "kinda" similar in terms of two party system and electoral college. I mean we DO have the tech to do pure democracy but then the two party system might not be two party anymore. Sure you have other parties, but I don't see them in the President's chair anytime soon.
Except that the only thing preventing a third or more party from gaining popularity and taking over the presidency is the people, not the government.

C

Chibibar

Shakey said:
Except that the only thing preventing a third or more party from gaining popularity and taking over the presidency is the people, not the government.
I know that you can do write in vote for president. So you think it is possible even with electoral college that if 51% of the voters wrote Chibibar for president that I can be president?

GasBandit

Staff member
Shakey said:
Chibibar said:
Denbrought said:
GasBandit said:
For the most part, yes, but it's a self-perpetuating system. It's also effectively quashed by the way committee memberships are done. All the procedures for such positions of power within the legislature are based upon the assumption of there being only 2 parties.

Shakey said:
The problem is not the people, it is the Two Party System.

It is hard to get a party off the ground. You need to present candidates for office, you need to get them on county, city, and state wide ballots, all the ballots are controlled by public servants that serve one of the two parties. The laws require a high number of signatories on a petition to get candidates on the ticket.It is easy to get signatures if you belong to an established party. Then the third party needs to get the word out about their platform and candidate. Oh, and the TV, radio stations and print media outlets each have loyalties to particular parties. If you can buy space, then you have to pay for it, without having a national party behind you throwing $2,000 a plate fundraisers it is almost impossible to compete against the Goliaths.

It is the system...

Is it hard? Yes. I'm not saying it isn't, and it could be better. The two party system is kept in place only because the majority of Americans are OK with it though. We do have other parties on ballots, they just don't get the votes because people feel the need to vote their party.

sixpackshaker said:
Shakey said:
The problem is not the people, it is the Two Party System.

It is hard to get a party off the ground. You need to present candidates for office, you need to get them on county, city, and state wide ballots, all the ballots are controlled by public servants that serve one of the two parties. The laws require a high number of signatories on a petition to get candidates on the ticket.It is easy to get signatures if you belong to an established party. Then the third party needs to get the word out about their platform and candidate. Oh, and the TV, radio stations and print media outlets each have loyalties to particular parties. If you can buy space, then you have to pay for it, without having a national party behind you throwing $2,000 a plate fundraisers it is almost impossible to compete against the Goliaths.

It is the system...
There's plenty of blame to spread around, and the people are not exempt from this.

Nah, it's definitively the system. See, if a party needs 51% of the votes to have a say on who is the next president, it quickly defeats the ambition of power that would drive individual factions to make parties. If you had a system based on party alliances, by contrast, smaller parties would have a much bigger say in politics, because if you're the president thanks to your own party and the supporting votes of three minority parties... Damn, you're going to keep those happy too. Spain's system, while far from perfect either, gives much more flexibility to the voter and the politician.

GasBandit

Staff member
The american people are largely to blame for what their country has become, for sure. I think everyone agrees on this, if for different reasons.

Scarlet Varlet said:
Probably like a load of burglars they threw it together desperately and stupidly. Very telling in the intellect of those who plotted the rigging.
That's one of the things that makes me wonder if it was rigged at all. I'd have thought if they were going to rig an election, they would do a better job of it. And yes, I'm honestly wondering if "it looks too rigged to be rigged."

Gruebeard said:
I don't know where you're from (and thus how you vote) but paper ballots don't take long to count. That's all that's used in Canada and we get our results announced within a couple hours of polls closing
This.

DarkAudit said:
I'll have to look for it, but there were timestamped screenshots from the count in Iran where one of the opposition candidates tally went *down* by a significant number as the count progressed.
That doesn't scream 'rigged' at me. I just assume it means that their software, or calculators, or abacii, or whatever just spat out a projection based on the votes that had already been counted. I've never rigged/ran an election in Iran, so I couldn't tell you if that's what's going on or not. But like I said, numbers going up and/or down don't really concern me on the whole.

sixpackshaker said:
A dozen or so ex-pats is not a wide sample.
Case in point: Even the official tally shows that Iranians who voted from outside the country preferred Mousavi. I'm surprised no 'election fraud' yellers have harped on this point.

Not saying it would be a good point to harp on. Just that I expected someone to be harping.

Denbrought said:
If you had a system based on party alliances, by contrast, smaller parties would have a much bigger say in politics, because if you're the president thanks to your own party and the supporting votes of three minority parties...
Canada isn't a two party system, (well, kindasorta, but ... ) and you should have heard the cries of anguish when we tried to get a coalition all up in here. Not speaking out against party alliances. They have a place and purpose, and I was rooting for one here in the great white north. But when people aren't familiar with that concept, it just isn't going to fly.

DarkAudit said:
GasBandit said:
The american people are largely to blame for what their country has become, for sure. I think everyone agrees on this, if for different reasons.
Not a chance, kind sir. The CIA != the American PEOPLE. Just because the folks in power rearranged things after they got there, it would be ignorant to blame the population for what happened before or since 1979. And I say, would you like a scone?
90% sure he was saying that the American people are largely to blame for what America has become. But bonus points for being tactful.

Rob King said:
DarkAudit said:
GasBandit said:
Not a chance, kind sir. The CIA != the American PEOPLE. Just because the folks in power rearranged things after they got there, it would be ignorant to blame the population for what happened before or since 1979. And I say, would you like a scone?
90% sure he was saying that the American people are largely to blame for what America has become. But bonus points for being tactful.
I'd up that to 99%. Someone wasn't paying attention to where this conversation went.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure someone wasn't reading all of the conversation :-P

Also, as others haev said, the US has devolved into a de facto 2 party system - it's not a matter of having a good idea and getting the word out to a few friends; it's money, influence, attention, and so forth. Getting even 5% of all votes with a new party would be a major thing to do, but you'd still have fuck all to say.
Split it up!
- Religious right-wing nutjob party
- Libertarian / extreme freedom and minmalist government party
- Conservative party
- Progressive/social-democratic party
- Liberal party
- Green party
- Some other stuff
:-P

DarkAudit said:
Rob King said:
Fuck tactful. It's GasBandit.
Fair enough. I just thought it would be fun to play with your post.

Rob King said:
DarkAudit said:
[quote="Rob King":1gr8shi0]90% sure he was saying that the American people are largely to blame for what America has become. But bonus points for being tactful.
Fuck tactful. It's GasBandit.
Fair enough. I just thought it would be fun to play with your post.[/quote:1gr8shi0]

Fair enough. And GasBandit is just the type of troll to go ahead and blame the Americans as a whole for what's happened in Iran.

J

JCM

90% sure he was saying that the American people are largely to blame for what America has become. But bonus points for being tactful
If you let your two-party government fuck you in the arse, then wipe up and still demand you pay for it, and you dont-

a) move to another country,
b) vote against the same two-party system
or
c) fight against it,

You are pretty much to blame for allowing them to rape you over and over and say nothing about it, so that does make most americans guilty for the state their country is in, and if this is what Gasbandit is saying, I must say I agree 100%.
Chibibar said:
Denbrought said:
GasBandit said:
Chibibar said:
Here is my question.

Why even bother to vote?
Well, to be fair, its still better to be an american and be the bitch of two parties, than be british and have a bloody queen or be brazilian and have your ass owned by the highest bidder.

And people still ask me why I have multiple citizenship. :puke:

Now where did i put that link to that guy mathematically proving that the US's voting system (winning with under 50%) always leads to a 2 party system...

than be british and have a bloody queen
Yeah, but they get to put Royal in front of all sort of neat things... also, you do know she doesn't have much power, right? (she's also the Queen of Canada, Australian and all other Commonwealth countries... don't really mean nothing though).

I

Iaculus

'Doesn't have much power'? Try 'has practically zero'. She's a figurehead and legal lynchpin, nothing more.

Iaculus said:
'Doesn't have much power'? Try 'has practically zero'. She's a figurehead and legal lynchpin, nothing more.
And yet she gets to live a life of luxury and do pretty much anything she wants. In fact, anyone related to her gets to do pretty much anything they want.

She may not have a lot of official power but if the Queen of England asks for something to be done, it'll usually be done.

I

Iaculus

AshburnerX said:
Iaculus said:
And yet she gets to live a life of luxury and do pretty much anything she wants. In fact, anyone related to her gets to do pretty much anything they want.

She may not have a lot of official power but if the Queen of England asks for something to be done, it'll usually be done.
Unless they happen to be in government. The Royals are very carefully-managed - the important ones, at least.

Iaculus said:
Yeah, she's technically queen of Canada but it would be funny if the governor general actually tried to veto a bill of law here I'd imagine that would be the end of that arrangement.

JCM said:
90% sure he was saying that the American people are largely to blame for what America has become. But bonus points for being tactful
If you let your two-party government fuck you in the arse, then wipe up and still demand you pay for it, and you dont-

a) move to another country,
b) vote against the same two-party system
or
c) fight against it,

You are pretty much to blame for allowing them to rape you over and over and say nothing about it, so that does make most americans guilty for the state their country is in, and if this is what Gasbandit is saying, I must say I agree 100%.
That is what he was saying, and I don't disagree either. Someone misunderstood, and thought he was blaming Joe the Plumber for the mess Iran was in. I was just straightening it out.

Well she can order people "accidented", so there's that... :aaahhh:

NSFW, a video of an Iranian protestor who was shot by the Basiji.

And I can't stop crying.
Man... i really am an awful human being...

I

Iaculus

@Li3n said:
Welp, looks like we've found the board's resident reader of the Daily Express.

BURN THE WITCH!

J

JCM

Iaculus said:
@Li3n said:
Welp, looks like we've found the board's resident reader of the Daily Express.

BURN THE WITCH!
Does she weigh as much as a duck?

GasBandit

Staff member
Yes, I was saying that the American people are largely to blame for what AMERICA has become. Not Iran. Since at the most recent, we had been discussing the american de facto 2-party system, and the relative inability to break out of it.

P

Papillon

@Li3n said:
Now where did i put that link to that guy mathematically proving that the US's voting system (winning with under 50%) always leads to a 2 party system...
But Canada has a similar voting system (for the legislative branch of government), and we're only down to 4 major parties, after having 5 major parties for awhile. One of the parties (Bloc Quebecois) is a strongly regional party, to which the proof probably doesn't apply, but I don't think it explains why we have 3 other major political parties.

K

Kitty Sinatra

You're kinda forgetting that Reform and the Bloc were very recent. Most of Canada's federal history involved only 3 parties, and the same 2 have formed every government to this day. We're damn close to being a 2-party nation; but our system supports more far better than the US system.

P

Papillon

Gruebeard said:
You're kinda forgetting that Reform and the Bloc were very recent. Most of Canada's federal history involved only 3 parties, and the same 2 have formed every government to this day. We're damn close to being a 2-party nation; but our system supports more far better than the US system.
Actually, this supports my point: according to the theory referenced above, any plurality voting system should tend to a two party system. In Canada, the opposite has happened. We started with a two party system, the Conservatives and the Liberals. The NDP were formed in the 60's, and then the Bloc has formed more recently. The theory that pluralities tend to two party systems doesn't explain the continued "success" of the NDP.

I don't get where people get that we "devolved" into a two party system. It was pretty much that way since the inception of the country and became apart of the presidential elections when George Washington left office.

The closest this country came to having a viable third party, Theodore Roosevelt caused the vote to split, resulting in the least popular ideas and policies to win.

Covar said:
I don't get where people get that we "devolved" into a two party system. It was pretty much that way since the inception of the country and became apart of the presidential elections when George Washington left office.

The closest this country came to having a viable third party, Theodore Roosevelt caused the vote to split, resulting in the least popular ideas and policies to win.
The only other times since where a third party candidate actually won a couple of states, it was Strom Thurmond and George Wallace running racist campaigns that took blocks of southern states.

Status
Not open for further replies.