There is trouble in Iran

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alex B. said:
That twitter feed is absolutely terrifying.
I agree... does anyone have any proof it's real? I mean, not to be cynical but... it looks real, it's very dramatic, doe we know it's not some kid somewhere playing a prank?

Espy said:
Alex B. said:
That twitter feed is absolutely terrifying.
I agree... does anyone have any proof it's real? I mean, not to be cynical but... it looks real, it's very dramatic, doe we know it's not some kid somewhere playing a prank?
I'd say "skeptical" rather than "cynical"; especially on Twitter, there's nothing wrong with asking for some proof. I didn't automatically believe it at first, myself, and honestly I'm not 100% sure I do, but something about the details has managed to convince me most of the way.

And if it is real, it's perfectly possible he's fine but simply unable to get the word out. People are tweeting and retweeting various proxies but who knows if he's seeing it.

Kissinger said:
@tehranbureau just tweeted the following:
7 point statement distributed among the protesters in
Tehran today:
1. Dismissal of Khamenei for not being a fair leader
2. Dismissal of Ahmadinejad for his illegal acts
3. Temporary appointment of Ayatollah Montazeri as the Supreme Leader
4. Recognition of Mousavi as the President
5. Forming the Cabinet by Mousavi to prepare for revising the Constitution
6. unconditional and immediate release of all political prisoners
7. Dissolution of all organs of repression, public or secret.
Good luck with all that. I admire their tenacity but thats a pretty big list.

S

Steven Soderburgin

yeah, it goes far beyond the scope of the original protests so I was somewhat skeptical anyway, and as I edited into the post, it was taken down.

J

JONJONAUG

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwKVLwckDYw&feature=channel_page:3ko9za5l][/youtube:3ko9za5l]

There's one sick fuck using the trending topics to post phony spam messages like "I can't believe Steve Jobs has died," followed by spam links.

S

Scarlet Varlet

DarkAudit said:
There's one sick smurf using the trending topics to post phony spam messages like "I can't believe Steve Jobs has died," followed by spam links.
There was someone else trying to get people to go to pr0n and betting sites. Just goes to show, some people are born pricks and the only thing you can do is track them down and beat some sense into them with a bat.

Scarlet Varlet said:
DarkAudit said:
There's one sick smurf using the trending topics to post phony spam messages like "I can't believe Steve Jobs has died," followed by spam links.
There was someone else trying to get people to go to pr0n and betting sites. Just goes to show, some people are born pricks and the only thing you can do is track them down and beat some sense into them with a bat.
Send them to Tehran, there are no shortages of bats or beatings there.

I am a little shocked that the council is bringing in Arabs to quell the violence. If you think Iran is anti-American, you should see how they feel about Arabs. If it turns out that the Hezbollah is killing Persians, this will end up being a major powder keg.

sixpackshaker said:
I am a little shocked that the council is bringing in Arabs to quell the violence. If you think Iran is anti-American, you should see how they feel about Arabs. If it turns out that the Hezbollah is killing Persians, this will end up being a major powder keg.
Apparently, the Lebanese Hezbollah was brought in because the Iranian arm of Hezbollah was too hesitant to shoot at other Iranians. But, I'm only getting this stuff from Twitter. I haven't been able to read much from official media.

The article about the Revolutionary Gurads is fascinating. Here's an article someone linked about twitter's role in all of this.

Twitter is interesting. I realize that it's basically just street-level word of mouth projected for the world to see, but I've been following three or four people who seem to be in the middle of it all, and ... It's just incredible to be that connected to such a big event a world away.

Scarlet Varlet said:
DarkAudit said:
Are you guys new to Twitter? That's what always happens with trending topics.

ZenMonkey said:
Scarlet Varlet said:
DarkAudit said:
Are you guys new to Twitter? That's what always happens with trending topics.
Hadn't really followed the big tending topics until now.

I feel a little left out. I'm not even getting the Britney spam followers. :paranoid:

DarkAudit said:
Hadn't really followed the big tending topics until now.
Oh. Well for your sanity, do as little as possible. Most of Twitter uses them to advertise their shit, be attention whores, spam, etc. etc.

ZenMonkey said:
Are you guys new to [strike:3vsap7ug]Twitter[/strike:3vsap7ug] The Internet? That's what always happens [strike:3vsap7ug]with trending topics[/strike:3vsap7ug].
Fixed.

S

Scarlet Varlet

It's hotting up now. (As if it hasn't before)

A direct challenge and call to rally from Mousavi.

Read this last night. Hearbreaking. Tells you it's the beast in the regime, not the divine.

6:03 PM ET -- "What I have witnessed." A powerful note from a female medical student in Iran, translated from Farsi by a trusty reader.

Hello,

It's painful to watch what's happening.

I don't want anything to do with what has been said this far, as I neither have the strength nor the resilience to face all these unfathomable events.
I only want to speak about what I have witnessed. I am a medical student. There was chaos last night at the trauma section in one of our main hospitals. Although by decree, all riot-related injuries were supposed to be sent to military hospitals, all other hospitals were filled to the rim. Last night, nine people died at our hospital and another 28 had gunshot wounds. All hospital employees were crying till dawn. They (government) removed the dead bodies on back of trucks, before we were even able to get their names or other information. What can you even say to the people who don't even respect the dead. No one was allowed to speak to the wounded or get any information from them. This morning the faculty and the students protested by gathering at the lobby of the hospital where they were confronted by plain cloths anti-riot militia, who in turn closed off the hospital and imprisoned the staff. The extent of injuries are so grave, that despite being one of the most staffed emergency rooms, they've asked everyone to stay and help--I'm sure it will even be worst tonight.

What can anyone say in face of all these atrocities? What can you say to the family of the 13 year old boy who died from gunshots and whose dead body then disappeared?

This issue is not about cheating(election) anymore. This is not about stealing votes anymore. The issue is about a vast injustice inflected on the people. They've put a baton in the hand of every 13-14 year old to smash the faces of "the bunches who are less than dirt" (government is calling the people who are uprising dried-up torn and weeds) .

This is what sickens me from dealing with these issues. And from those who shut their eyes and close their ears and claim the riots are in opposition of the government and presidency!! No! The people's complaint is against the egregious injustices committed against the people.
Posted by Nicotone at 7:53 PM

S

Scarlet Varlet

Photoshop Fail

Regime edits picture to make Amadi support rally look bigger.

@Li3n said:
ZenMonkey said:
Are you guys new to [strike:2pwuwjas]Twitter[/strike:2pwuwjas] The Internet? That's what always happens [strike:2pwuwjas]with trending topics[/strike:2pwuwjas].
Fixed.
Thanks, that was soooo fucking useful.

ZenMonkey said:
@Li3n said:
ZenMonkey said:
Are you guys new to [strike:271q88re]Twitter[/strike:271q88re] The Internet? That's what always happens [strike:271q88re]with trending topics[/strike:271q88re].
Fixed.
Thanks, that was soooo fucking useful.
Oh, sorry for taking away from this world changing thread... i hope the revolution doesn't fail because of me... :eyeroll:

Gruebeard said:
When it fails, I'm blaming @Li3n.
Damn... then Shego will be after me for taking credit for her work...

BTW, just because they want Ahme-dinner-jad out doesn't mean they'll stop hating you...

@Li3n said:

BTW, just because they want Ahme-dinner-jad out doesn't mean they'll stop hating you...
This. I'm worried the hundreds of frothing-at-the-mouth Americans on Twitter don't realize this. I think Obama pointed this out as well: no matter which candidate got the presidency, there would be virtually no change in foreign policy, the nuclear program, etc. It's not like Bush -> Obama.

I'm still hopeful, though, if only for the sake of the Iranians. If they voted X, they should get X, even if X and Y both look very similar.

The news reports over the years show that the Iranian people have no real love for the mullahs. That's where the real power is, and that's where the real hate is. Remove them, and who knows what will happen.

I don't think anyone in Iran's got the cajones right now to go after the Mullahs and other religious leaders. If they do go after them, they figure they'd have the entire Islamic world down on them in the space of minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.