[TV] The What Anime Are You Watching Thread!

GasBandit

Staff member
Holy fucking shit you guys.

Babylon. It's on Amazon Prime.

It was always intriguing....

But jesus fucking christ, it got dark.

I don't usually like to talk about a show until I've finished it (or at least finished a season)...

At first I thought it was a police mystery... then a philosophical treatise...

But this is like the first season of Death Note had a baby with Future Diary, sent it to the best schools, and then it turned out like American Psycho.

This week's episode made me physically recoil.

GasBandit

Staff member
High School Prodigies Have It Easy Even In Another World

1574384021376.png

There's a difference between anime that is trash (or trashy) and an anime that is garbage.

Trashy anime can be enjoyable, even though you know it's pandering, licentious, or lowbrow.

Garbage anime is just shit.

High School Prodigies Have It Easy Even In Another World (there goes another one of THOSE longass titles) is garbage.

I've toughed it out for 8 episodes, but I'm done. Every single character is completely one-dimensional, the titular 7 prodigies are never for an instant in danger or even at a disadvantage, the suspension of disbelief is completely nonexistent, the villains and antagonists have absolutely no discernable motivation for their actions other than the plot demands somebody do something to impotently oppose the main characters, and like the video I posted before said, we just have to accept that the prodigies are awesome because we're told they are and we see them succeeding with no explanation of why they're succeeding other than they're good at what they do. The stage magician boy might as well be using real magic, as it's never explained how he pulls of what he does, the sword girl apparently can steer missiles by holding on to them and digging her bare heels into the ground so hard that it sprays cobblestones into the air behind her, the doctor girl just kind of waves a needle and thread around and says "there all fixed" and any injury is gone with little to no recuperation time... it's just tedious, even to describe it.

And it even has its own scrappy-doo in the form of an AI bear. God I hate that stupid AI bear even more than the stupid shitty pig from 7 deadly sins.

Even if this were supposed to be some kind of self-insert power fantasy, it's way over the top and beyond the pale. It's literally everything wrong with all the worst aspects of Isekai all gathered into one conveniently ignorable package.

Verdict: 1/5.

Still watching Beastars. Still loving how it's not afraid to go places...

Like the Dark Market. Dear god. And the photos afterwards were even worse.

Do not watch this in public unless you want to get really weird looks, but I lol'ed.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Dr. STONE

1576286654287.png

Genre: Sci-fi, drama, action, comedy

Fanservice: some stone-age bathing suits and cleavage-baring dresses

Premise: One day, a mysterious wave of green light thunders across the world, instantly petrifying every human on earth. Thousands of years later, the world has been reclaimed by nature. Eventually, a string of coincidences causes the first few human statues to become depetrified. As it happens, the very first human is a scientific genius named Senku, who quickly deduces what happened to depetrify him, and how to replicate it. He undertakes his own personal mission to save the entire human race from petrification and return humanity to its lost glory.

However, it's a nasty, brutish, stone-age world... and Senku's smart but not tough or strong. Naturally, he thaws out his best friend Taiju first, who is his complimentary foil - he's a tireless worker, who is more than happy to do all the grunt work that brainy Senku abhors. And next, to protect them from the dangers of the wilds, they depetrify an incredibly strong fighter named Tsukasa.

But there's a snag. Tsukasa hates the bygone "modern" world run by corrupt, greedy adults. He's of the opinion that only young, untainted humans should be depetrified, and the Boomers can get smashed. Literally. He even breaks a few statues, murdering the people petrified within, to demonstrate his resolve. An irreconcilable rift develops between Tsukasa and Senku - Senku wants to save every human through the power of science, and Tsukasa wants science and all other vestiges of the old modern world snuffed out forever in favor of making a new, smaller, untainted utopian society of young humans who live simply without advancing beyond the stone-age.

The stage is set for a war to determine the future of the human race.

Commentary:
I really enjoyed reading this manga, so I was looking forward to seeing the anime. It does not disappoint. Overall it's an excellent production with good voice work, good characters, a decent story, and a nice twist in that (much like How Heavy are the Dumbbells You Lift explained exercises) it explains the underlying scientific processes and methods Senku uses to advance his cause and achieve his goals, while wowing his adoptive village of stone-age-humans that are the great-great-great-grand-descendants of the only humans who didn't get petrified: astronauts who were in orbit when the petrification event happened.

Verdict: 3.5/5. Definitely worth watching. I look forward to season 2. It'd be a solid 4 if not for some banal edutainment bits by "robo-senku" that were a little trying.

Yeah, I'll echo Dr. Stone. It's sort of where Isekai and those "cute girls engage in club activities" series that go really in-depth into the hobby meet. Everything's pretty well researched.

My favorite? When they make ramen to impress some villagers.
It works and the villagers love it but Senku laments that he hates it. That's because it doesn't taste anything like ramen he's used to, having used millet as the grain for the noodles instead of wheat.

I'm still on Beastars, but I'm upgrading the Fanservice level to "Bare Bunny Butt and intentionally awkward and unsexy sexual situations." Beastars is the rare show that is able to show just how completely fucked up and untitillating sex can be.

GasBandit

Staff member
I still think GB's ranking system is whack. :p
The only shows I've ever given a 5 are Black Lagoon, One Punch Man season 1, GITS:SAC 2nd gig, and the gag dub of Ghost stories :p

Anything worth watching in my scale is 3 and up. 2.5 is just ok, and 2 and below are bad. Something has to be truly shitty or irritating to get a 1.

The only shows I've ever given a 5 are Black Lagoon, One Punch Man season 1, GITS:SAC 2nd gig, and the gag dub of Ghost stories :p

Anything worth watching in my scale is 3 and up. 2.5 is just ok, and 2 and below are bad. Something has to be truly shitty or irritating to get a 1.
You can explain it all you want, this is probably the second time you've done it. I just disagree with most of your assessments.

GasBandit

Staff member
Since the dub ran in theaters, I was expecting that the blu-ray release of Lelouche of the Resurrection would be a dual-audio release. That came out on Dec 5th, and no english track. I was wondering what was up, but digging into it, I found that the english dub of the movie isn't being released until Feb 25th 2020 >_<

I know 2020 is a mere 12 days away but that still sounds like the DIIIISTAAAANT FUUUUTUUUUURE!

OreSuki
Hose-kun. Your typically typical harem anime MC. By the standards of this series, the Anti-Joro. And now you're seeing him and his girls from an outsiders POV. And it creeps them out.

Since the dub ran in theaters, I was expecting that the blu-ray release of Lelouche of the Resurrection would be a dual-audio release. That came out on Dec 5th, and no english track. I was wondering what was up, but digging into it, I found that the english dub of the movie isn't being released until Feb 25th 2020 >_<

I know 2020 is a mere 12 days away but that still sounds like the DIIIISTAAAANT FUUUUTUUUUURE!
reverse importation, thanks japan.

GasBandit

Staff member
Didn't I Say To Make My Abilities Average In The Next Life?!

Genre: Stuck In Another World, Fantasy, Comedy, Kiddy Grade, Diabeetus

Fanservice: Bath House and Beach episodes

Premise: A girl who was isolated due to her exceptional talents and abilities in life is Isekai'd by Truck-kun straight into a fantasy world of swords and magic. She asks the deity sending her there to make her average so she can have a normal, happy life. Unfortunately, the deity makes all her abilties the median, not the mean, and of all living things in the world, not just humans - which means she's exactly half as powerful as the most powerful creature in existence. What follows is a fish-out-of-water coming-of-age story of a girl trying to hide her overwhelmingly OP abilities so that she can have friends and a normal life. But circumstances keep arising that force her to rise to the challenge and godmode her way through to protect herself and those she cares about... which leaves her with some 'splainin' to do.

It's not amazing, but it's not awful. I needed something to watch on mondays, and it gave me that. It gets more interesting in the last episode with hints of raised stakes, and that might bring me back for season 2. Otherwise, it's a passable-but-also-pass-uppable series.

Verdict: 2.5/5. S'ok.

GasBandit

Staff member
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha

Genre: Fantasy, Romance, Economics

Fanservice: Tig ol demon Bitties. Female knights with no shame, sheer undergarments, and buckets of water

Premise: When the hero finally confronts the Demon King, and finds her to be a beautiful, red haired, soft spoken, intelligent, proponent of non-violence, he is caught off guard. She professes her love for him, reveals to him the true origins of the war between humans and demons, and why it has been in the interests of those in power in the human world to make sure it never ends. Then, she asks him to join her in contriving a way to end the war for good - bloodlessly, and in the process, making life better for everyone, demon and human alike.

This series often gets labeled as a "Spice and Wolf" knockoff, which does it a disservice. Yes, it is a slower-paced story with lots of dialog and heavy emphasis on economics and politics, but it's good in its own right. I appreciate that there isn't the will-they-won't-they neverending tease that S&W dragged on forever, getting the "Yes they are" out of the way as the very first plot development.

It's just a pity that it never got a second season, and probably never will. There was a lot more of this story to tell, and we are left without closure.

Verdict: 3.5/5. An enjoyable watch, ended too soon.