[TV] The What Anime Are You Watching Thread!

GasBandit

Staff member
Space Battleship Tiramisu

Genre: Sci-Fi, Comedy, Action, Ecchi, Satire
Fanservice: Lots and lots of PG-13 both male and female. Male shower scenes, oversexed scantily clad gainaxing gazonga girls.
Premise: Subaru Ichinose loves his cockpit as, to him, it's like being in his mother's womb. Whenever he struggles to converse with his fellow pilots, his cockpit is the one place he can be alone. As the ace pilot aboard the Tiramisu, Earth Union's most important battleship, it is his job to defend Mother Earth from the threats that emerge from humanity's extended dominion spreading throughout the vast reaches of the universe. Armed with his personal mecha Durandal, Subaru must fend off encroaching foreign colonies as he struggles to protect his personal sanctuary from rogue fried pork skewers, suffocating backwards shirts, and unsolicited redecorations. In the year Space Age 0156, the fate of humanity rests entirely in his hands.

Or, that's what AnimeList would have you believe. The truth is this is a gag series. Complete and utterly taking the piss from start to finish.

Tiramisu is a hilarious absurdist farce riffing on all the oh-so-serious space mecha anime that have come out over the years. Everything from Yamato to Sidonia is skewered by this juvenile but hilarious 7-minute-episode cavalcade of gags, delivering wry, deadpan humor, purile bathroom jokes, and a healthy dose of not-so-closeted homoeroticism. There are giant space chihuahas, talking pubic hair, OCD galore, and it tries to deliver it all with a completely straight face. It's been a while since a humor-based anime made me laugh as much as this one has. The localization team did a really good job with the english dub, too, so I highly recommend you watch it in english. This one's a keeper.

Verdict: Very good (4/5)

Last edited:
風が強く吹いている。 - The wind is blowing - Kakeru

逆らうように、走り出す。 - And we defy it by running. -Jota

その先に、探す答えがあると信じて。 - Believing the answer we seek lies ahead. - Joji

強さとは? - What is strength? - Niko

走るとは? - What is running? - King

生きるとは? - What is living? - Yuki

すべては、風の向こう側。- It's all beyond the wind. - Musa

希望は僕らの胸の中。 - Hope resides within our hearts. - Shindo

道は、ほら。目の前にある。 - Look. The road is right before your eyes. - Prince

だから今日も走るんだ。 どこまでだって、走るんだ。 - So we run again today. We'll run to the edges of the Earth. - Haiji

なぁ、走るの好きか? - Hey, do you like running? - Kakeru

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm posting this video solely for all the shit it gives Code Geass for literally bringing people back from the dead so they can make more money.

figmentPez

Staff member
Gundam vs Hello Kitty....

Gundam.... VS Hello Kitty

Giant mecha against a little schoolgirl....

Well, at least they're enjoying some ramen together.

I already posted in the manga thread, but the Domestic Girlfriend manga is much better than the anime (even the manga author hated the way they dealt with the last two episodes), and if you like romance anime/manga at all, and agree that people becoming step siblings in late adolescence/adulthood isn't really squicky in a family way, then you should consider reading the manga from the beginning.

GasBandit

Staff member
Alright, the winter anime season is over, so here comes a barrage... First:

The Quintessential Quints

Genre: High School, Romance, Comedy, Harem
Fanservice: Gainaxing, underwear
Premise: Futaro Uesagi is an over-serious bookworm from a poor family who prides himself on always coming in at the top when it comes to studies. His fate is changed when, one day, five identical quintuplet sisters transfer into his high school, and their father hires him as a tutor. Futaro badly needs the money, and the girls badly need the tutoring - they do everything and anything they can to avoid studying, and are in dire risk of flunking out. And it gets worse - Futaro is a socially inept boor, and his personality initially clashes with most of the sisters, leading them to distrust or even despise him. Little do they all realize that due to this fateful meeting, 10 years later one of the sisters will end up marrying Futaro. But which one?

I'd been reading the manga for a long time. There's FIVE REDHEADS. FIVE. There's no way I was going to NOT watch this. I was a little disappointed that the anime chose to not-so-subtly change the shades of the quints' hair to make them easier for the audience to tell apart because many of the plot developments in the story hinge on people NOT being able to tell them apart. Aside from that, it's a pretty decent series. Lines are drawn for the battle of who gets to be "best girl," and each girl brings something different to the table... but there can be only one. However, between Futaro's dunderheaded insensitivity and the girls undermining their own academic performances putting his job in jeopardy, it'll take a miracle for them to graduate and the fated marriage to take place.

Veridict: (3/5). It's a decent watch. While not absolutely enthralling, you do keep watching and end up rooting for somebody, despite yourself.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Next...

My Roommate is a Cat

Genre: Animal, Slice of Life, Heartwarming
Fanservice: None
Premise: Subaru Mikazuki is a novelist whose parents tragically died a few years ago while he was still in high school. He manages to be professionally successful despite having a severe social phobia that largely prevents him from being able to interact with strangers, or really to even leave the house for very long. One day when he is leaving an offering at his parents' graves, he finds himself more or less being adopted by a brash, aggressive stray cat. Over the days, weeks, and months of this cat, Haru, and Subaru living together, they form a bond neither considered ever wanting before, and the story reveals itself as a parable on loss, regret, trust, and family disguised as a cutesy kitty anime. Haru becomes Subarus vehicle for growth, getting him out of his shell to care about others and take the risks needed to face his phobias and grow as a person, whereas through Subaru, Haru learns that there's more to life than just worrying where your next meal is coming from.

If this anime was any more wholesome I might have smothered under the weight of it. But it's bittersweet - as I said, it's a not-so-thinly-disguised allegory on loss and learning to love again. That kinda hits close to home, with an on-the-nose factor about getting a cat in a time of loss. It hits right in the feels.

Verdict: Decent (3/5)

GasBandit

Staff member
Domestic Girlfriend

Genre: High School, Harem, Romance
Fanservice: Adult subject matter without "ecchi," really.
Premise: Natsuo Fujii has a crush on his young teacher Hina-sensei, one she carefully keeps at bay. One day he goes to a mixer to distract himself from his feelings, and he meets an awkward girl named Rui who, upon getting him alone, comes right out and propositions him for sex. She just wants the experience, and deems him to be a safe guy to try it with who won't brag or try to turn it into something. The deed is done, but it is a loveless, fumbling first time for both of them, and they part ways. Soon after, Natsuo learns his widowed father is remarrying. He meets his new stepmother for the first time, and finds she has two daughters - Rui, and the teacher he pines for. And now they'll all be living under the same roof. Hoooooo boy. And here comes the love triangle.

It sounds like trash, doesn't it? It is, it's very trashy. But as Gigguk said, it's GOOD trash. It's like a multi-car wreck happening in slow motion - you know it's going to be so gruesome when things go wrong, but you can't look away. You have to watch. You want to see just how deliciously wrong it goes.

I know there's a lot of "step-sibling" smut going around these days, but it doesn't really apply here - these are grown almost-adults who had no previous familial bonds, and while there's a lot of "adult subject matter," it's handled maturely instead of being exploitative or lurid. However, the societal view of things does serve as a complicating influence on the developing relationship between Natsuo, Rui, and Hina - and of course, the teacher/student taboo on top of that makes things even more sensitive.

Verdict: Good (3.5/5)

GasBandit

Staff member
Promised Neverland

Genre: Horror, Suspense, Disturbing
Fanservice: None
Premise: The Grace Field House is, to all appearances, a happy, loving home for orphans surrounded by forests and fields of pastoral beauty. New orphans arrive as babies, play, learn, and leave as they are adopted, all under the watchful eye of the matronly "Mama." However, the three oldest orphans at the house make a startling discovery about the cruel fate that awaits every child there, and the terrifying nature of who Mama is and what she represents.

I'm not telling any more because spoilers. This is one you should watch. Be prepared to AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA internally.

Verdict: Very good (4/5).

GasBandit

Staff member
That time I was Reincarnated as a Slime

Genre: Stuck-in-another-world, fantasy, comedy
Fanservice: Boobgazing, ridiculously revealing costumes on certain characters (Milim).
Premise: An everyday corporate worker drone is murdered in our world, and is reincarnated in another one. A fantasy world of swords and sorcery. Sounds familiar, even formulaic... except.. he comes back to life as a lowly slime monster. You know, those tiny things you kill for 1 xp at the beginning of just about every RPG. However, this slime has one ace up his sleeve - he can absorb and use the abilities (and take the shape) of whatever he consumes. As he makes his way through his cave-birthplace, munching on glowing fungus and tiny creatures, he meets a dragon that has been sealed there for 300 years. Desperate for companionship, the lonely dragon agrees to grant the slime power - and a name - in exchange for the slime taking the dragon with him out of the cave. Suddenly, the slime Rimuru is stupid powerful. Leaving the cave, he resolves to forge a new life for himself in this new world.

Ok, yes, it's another isekai "with a twist." But it's good. Even though it's by the numbers, it's just a joy to watch things happen. The down side is it's already caught up to the manga, so I'm not sure how they'll progress from here, even though a second season has already been announced.

That time I was Reincarnated as a Slime

Genre: Stuck-in-another-world, fantasy, comedy
Fanservice: Boobgazing, ridiculously revealing costumes on certain characters (Milim).
Premise: An everyday corporate worker drone is murdered in our world, and is reincarnated in another one. A fantasy world of swords and sorcery. Sounds familiar, even formulaic... except.. he comes back to life as a lowly slime monster. You know, those tiny things you kill for 1 xp at the beginning of just about every RPG. However, this slime has one ace up his sleeve - he can absorb and use the abilities (and take the shape) of whatever he consumes. As he makes his way through his cave-birthplace, munching on glowing fungus and tiny creatures, he meets a dragon that has been sealed there for 300 years. Desperate for companionship, the lonely dragon agrees to grant the slime power - and a name - in exchange for the slime taking the dragon with him out of the cave. Suddenly, the slime Rimuru is stupid powerful. Leaving the cave, he resolves to forge a new life for himself in this new world.

Ok, yes, it's another isekai "with a twist." But it's good. Even though it's by the numbers, it's just a joy to watch things happen. The down side is it's already caught up to the manga, so I'm not sure how they'll progress from here, even though a second season has already been announced.

The web novel is already completed, so they aren't short on source material.

GasBandit

Staff member
Kaguya-sama: Love is War

Genre: High school, romance, comedy
Fanservice: Nothing ribald, really.
Premise: At this prestigious high school academy for the children of the super-rich and powerful, two figures stand at the top - the student body president and vice president. He is the top student, and she excels at every activity imaginable. The two are the envy of the entire student body - and they secretly harbor tender feelings for each other. HOWEVER. They are both MASSIVE TSUNDERES who absolutely refuse to be the first ones to confess. After all, in love, whoever cares the most always loses, and neither can stand the idea of being the one to take the first step and therefor the subservient position in the relationship. And thus a great game of chess commences, with moves and countermoves, and counter-countermoves, as each tries to maneuver the other into confessing their feelings first. LOVE IS WAR.

It's just so endearing to watch two super-smart people be such idiots around each other. Just KISS ALREADY.

Verdict: Good (3.5/5)

GasBandit

Staff member
Anime still airing that I'm watching and recommend you start if you haven't already:
Rising of the Shield Hero
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 5: Golden Wind (and if you haven't watched Jojo before, start with part 3: Stardust Crusaders)

GasBandit

Staff member
You gave Kaguya 3.5/5, I can't trust your opinion anymore.
It lost half a point for the last two episodes of the season having egregious amounts of Kaguya character regression and daddy issues.

3.5 is good, though! My scale goes:

5.0: The Best Ever, will watch over and over forever, church of this, amen.
4.5: Extremely good
4.0: Very good
3.5: Good
3.0: Decent
2.5: OK
2.0: Mediocre
1.5: Bad
1.0: Awful
0.5: A crime against art
0.0: Literally caused me physical damage

Though, the lowest score I've actually ever given was 1, and that was for Conception and Eromanga Sensei.

Black Clover got a 1.5 :p

Last edited:
Ive only ever given an anime a 0.0 once The Legend of the Mystical Ninja Anime. you remember mystical ninja for the super Nintendo? THEY MADE AN ANIME @_@ its not so bad as its so god damn boring it was literal torture to sit through.

GasBandit

Staff member
So apparently Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation is getting an anime adaptation. This is another manga I've been reading for a while, but honestly I only do now out of habit and I want to see how the story ends. I am not sure how well it will come off as an anime because it is a 100% stock standard isekai story with absolutely zero deviations from the formula. A NEET dies in the real world, is reborn in another world while retaining all his memories, and of course finds he has a stupidly overpowered affinity for using magic in the new world. Also throw in a big dollop of harem with a tsundere best girl, decorate liberally with stock shonen tropes, and you've got the most predictable, formulaic isekai story ever put on screen.

Sigh, I'll still probably watch it because the love interest has red hair.

GasBandit

Staff member
Nope, regular old electrical infrastructure. I, too, noticed this in evangelion and monogatari and several other places even going back to old king of fighters games, where there were these backgrounds with massive, complex, and detailed depictions of power lines. Often presented in contrast to more traditional/classical Japanese scenes or motifs. I thought it some kind of commentary on modernity vs cultural identity, but that article says it's more to the tune of establishing familiarity because those big fancy ass power poles are just something Japanese people are used to seeing every day... and maybe THEREIN lies the commentary I originally assumed.

maybe THEREIN lies the commentary I originally assumed.
Right. I know I was comically brief earlier, but I assumed it was because it would surround the Japanese viewer and ground him “at home” the same way oppressively looming buildings would do for NYC or smog would for L.A. or palm trees would for Florida, etc.

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Welp, my sonarr has already snagged the first episodes of Isekai Quartet and One Punch Man season 2... tonight should be interesting.

I have a bad feeling about Isekai Quartet, though.