[TV] The What Anime Are You Watching Thread!

I reading the manga of the shows I watch. Not all but Reincarnated as Slime, One Punch Man, Goblin Slayer, Overlord, I buy and read the official release (laugh if you want, I know there are other ways). So I found out that Shield Hero has a release and I took a look in an issue. Boy did they toned down Naofumi for the anime. I'm not sure if I will buy the manga, maybe I stick with the anime. He's less of a jerk there. Or maybe I try the manga I don't know.

I mention the latest Magical Girl PTSD episode might run afoul of the new reddit rules. Someone says "That's just underage girls, I fail to see a problem."

Dude. They're high school girls. In the flashbacks, they're in middle school. They're ALL underage.

started Magus Bride tonight, because everyone has been on me to watch it. one episode in, I like it, I hope the tone doesnt shift on me.

GasBandit

Staff member
Outbreak Company

Genre: Isekai, Rom-com, Nerd pandering
Fanservice: Some, but not too excessive.

Premise: (Copypasta'd from MAL)
Shinichi Kanou is a shut-in otaku with a vast knowledge of anime, manga, and video games. One day, after applying for a job in hopes of escaping his secluded lifestyle, he is kidnapped and transported to the Eldant Empire—a fantasy world filled with elves, dragons, and dwarves. Trapped in this strange land, Shinichi is given an unlikely task by the Japanese government: to spread otaku culture across the realm by becoming an "Otaku Missionary."

To accomplish his mission, Shinichi has the full support of the Japanese government, as well as the half-elf maid Myucel and Princess Petralka of the Eldant Empire. Together with this ragtag bunch, he will overcome the obstacles of politics, social classes, and ethnic discrimination to promote the ways of the otaku in this holy land.

Copypasta ends.

My take: Ok, yeah, it's GATE. But with nerdsplaining and obscure anime references instead of military rah rah action. Which can be excused given that it predates GATE by two years. Still, it's not as good. I got tired of it by episode 9, and am not going to bother finishing it. A lot of its humor requires a level of otaku obsession that exceeds mine. The version I watched, the subtitles made a very brave stab at explaining all the reference humor with onscreen notations, but it also just served to underscore the arcane and inaccessible nature of the reference humor. It does have its moments, but this one's strictly for the nerdcore.

Verdict: OK (2.5/5)

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Dragon Ball Super: Broly (Movie)

Genre: Dragon fucking Ball
Fanservice: DRAGON FUCKING BALL
Premise: DRAGON. FUCKING. BALL.

Ok, in all seriousness, this was a fun and decent flick, an improvement over the original that salvages Broly out of the dismal GT continuity and brings him into the new mainstream DB:Super canon. It also makes his motivations a hell of a lot less stupid than originally.

Definitely worth watching, at least as good as any of the other DB movies.

But the Team Four Star abridged version of the original Broly is still a more entertaining watch :D

"He's so cool! But that's so DUMB! But he's so COOL! BUT THAT'S SO DUMB!!"

GasBandit

Staff member
Chivalry of a Failed Knight: Tale of the Worst One

Genre: Action, Romance, Comedy, Harem, Ecchi
Fanservice: Barely-hidden-nipple oppai and fully-framed panty-shots galore
Premise: Some people have the talent to become "magic knights," or in typically arbitrarily nonsense-word anime-jargon, "Blazers." It's either something you have, or you don't. Ikki has been told he might as well not, because his magic aptitude is so terrible. But he's determined to show his father, his family, his school, the whole world, that he can be the best. He's got one ace up his sleeve - his own special attack technique that compresses and uses up an entire day's worth of energy in 60 seconds, sharpening his mind, reflexes, perception, speed, and strength by incalculable levels - for a terrible price.

So, grab a handful of High School DxD, and mix in a dollop of Black Clover, and maybe even a pinch of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and the barest hint of Konosuba, and you have Chivalry of a Failed Knight. It's not actually that bad, if you can get past the constant barrage of egregious fanservice and the middling-at-best voice acting. Alas, "not that bad" was not good enough, and it only ever got one season. So the story goes unfinished, which is too bad - I'd like to have seen how the rest of it went.

Verdict: OK (2.5/5)

Last edited: