[TV] The What Anime Are You Watching Thread!

so guys...I found Yu-Gi-Oh! boxsets at my local HPB after my buddy Raid asked the lady if they had anymore anime behind the counter and she pulled out a giant stack of stuff. It is the english version, but I dont care, its horrible and dumb, and we were making snarky jokes all night!
I trust you were making them...In America?

I like to imagine that Gohan is basically the Bill Nye of the program ("Isn't Science AWESOME!?") and Bulma's the Tyson De Grasse ("Yes it is, Gohan. Here's WHY!"). Goku is more like the Beakman ("Science is WEIRD... but still kinda cool.") in that he's nowhere competent in the actual subject, but can do cool stuff.

trying to finish Simoune tonight, I literally think it may be one of the most overly dramatic pieces of filth I have ever had the displeasure to watch, we will see if those feelings change.

GasBandit

Staff member
So after it was brought up recently, I've tried watching .hack/sign. I'm 10 episodes in. Ohhhh myyyyy gaaaahhhhhhd could this anime move any slower.

a
So after it was brought up recently, I've tried watching .hack/sign. I'm 10 episodes in. Ohhhh myyyyy gaaaahhhhhhd could this anime move any slower.
Nope! I only have vague Toonami recollections and yet I still remember only needing to watch half the episodes to get the full story!

so I made it through disc three, it is not improving and I am taking a break and watching something else to get the taste out of my mouth before I continue to watch more tomorrow.

The issue with the .hack thing is there's like 4 series, OVAs, and the games. I don't know that they're all one big story, but I think events in some influence in others one way or another. It's crazy.

GasBandit

Staff member
The issue with the .hack thing is there's like 4 series, OVAs, and the games. I don't know that they're all one big story, but I think events in some influence in others one way or another. It's crazy.
Whatever MMO they're playing has got to be the most tedious experience ever. They never play it. They sit around debating the existence of a gamebreaking item that was only theorized based on poorly understood pieces of a messageboard post made in german a year ago that was almost immediately deleted, and not only that but the storytelling structure is abysmal. Here's scene A. Here's Scene B. Here's scene D and E which all talk about the climactic thing that happened in scene C which we won't show you until the end of the show. Oh not this show.. the end of the next episode.

AND MAYBE SHINOBU EXCUSE ME SORRY SUBARU CAN STAND AROUND LOOKING TROUBLED AND ANEMIC FOR A FEW MORE MINUTES TODAY.

Yeah the short OVA on Netflix (3 episodes, I think, an hour each) was fun, but I lost interest in the first series and the games pretty quick. Just not for me, I guess.

.hack/sign IS slow, but I'd say it ultimately pays off in a somewhat heartwarming fashion. The problem is that the next sequence of the story is the first 4 .hack PS2 games and the 4 episode OVA that takes place during the events of that game. Those games ARE fun, but there are -4- of them and they have some balance issues (I.E. one of Kite's best weapons (the Blades of Bond) are in the first fucking game). I dunno... maybe there is a manga version of the events of those games?

I think the story goes...

.hack // AI Buster (norvel)

.hack // SIGN (video)

.hack // Zero (novel)

.hack PS2 first game series (or .hack // XXXX in manga) (I don't know which would be easier to get.)

.hack // Another Birth (novel)

.hack // Liminality (OVA video)

.hack // Legend of Twilight Bracelet (both manga and video) (Manga and anime have WILDLY divergent plots. I'd go with the manga)

.hack // Roots (video)

.hack // Cell (novel)

.hack // Alkoma (manga)

.hack // G.U. (PS2 game series)

.hack // GU Trilogy (OVA video)

.hack // GU + (manga, another manga about the story of GU)

.hack // GnU (manga)

.hack // Link (PSP game)

so I ordered attack on titan limited edition set one, and...I was one of the people that got beat up discs...fuck....

Guess I will have to wait for replacements to come from funimation or rightstuf to see the show in english.

We got the disc to work more or less. The show seems fine, pretty consistent, we are on episode 8. I like the dub. Not a trainwreck.

Americanized Doraemon names

Nobita:Noby

Okay

Jian: Big G

Sure

Shizuka: Sue

Uuuuuuh yeah that's a bit of a stretch.

Suneo: Sneetch.

...PFFT- what?! Really? Really?! The best you could come up with is ripping off Dr. Seus? Oh that's just sad.

First ep of Sailor Moon's pretty fun.

First ep of SAO2 was boring as crap and I hope the rest of the show's a little lighter on the exposition vomit.

First ep of Sailor Moon's pretty fun.

First ep of SAO2 was boring as crap and I hope the rest of the show's a little lighter on the exposition vomit.
The big problem is that they had already established that the Amusphere couldn't be used to control/kill in the same way the old gear could be. They kind of wrote themselves into a corner and had to spend a good chunk of the episode saying "Yes, he's killing people. No, it's not the same way as before. Yes, we checked or we wouldn't have bothered calling you." That's entirely on them because I'm not sure they expected SAO to turn into a franchise.

Really though, what I want to see is a .hack/SAO crossover. It NEEDS to happen.

Yeah and I kind of gathered that from the talk they had, which makes sense.

Also, Barakamon is fantastic and I highly recommend it, even after just one episode. I've read a bit of the manga, and I think it's going to be a fun SoL.

Watching Rail Wars right now, it's a weird premise but it might be a decent action show. Still have a couple others I haven't watched yet, though.

Those all sound amazing, I am saddened the sword art online is one of those shows that costs a gazillion dollars to own in english. Yes I realize no one here but me watches dubbed anime, but I like it dubbed and I can just as easily watched it subbed unless its Yu-Gi-Oh, because apparently fourkids or whoever owns it now hates money.

Has anyone been watching Space Dandy? I saw the second season premiere last night. I enjoyed it as usual, but this episode (which involves Dandy and his crew encountering various alternate universe versions of themselves) really high-lighted one of the major strengths of the show to me: namely, the use of different lead artists to ensure that aliens (or in this case, alternate universe characters) have a unique visual style, distinct from one another.

Last edited:
Those all sound amazing, I am saddened the sword art online is one of those shows that costs a gazillion dollars to own in english. Yes I realize no one here but me watches dubbed anime, but I like it dubbed and I can just as easily watched it subbed unless its Yu-Gi-Oh, because apparently fourkids or whoever owns it now hates money.
Part of the problem with American DVDs is that the price is artificially inflated by contracts with the original Japanese content producers. What was happening back in the 90's - early 2000's (when Anime was dirt cheap) is that Japanese consumers would import the American DVDs because they usually cost much less than domestic ones and usually had Japanese audio as an option. In order to put a stop to this, they had to put stipulations in the contract to set the price at certain levels to prevent this kind of thing.

There's also the fact that the ONLY reason to dub an anime is for television broadcast. It's like 80% of anime fans that prefer subbed content because it's usually cheaper and gets out faster. So dubbed stuff costs more.

Part of the problem with American DVDs is that the price is artificially inflated by contracts with the original Japanese content producers. What was happening back in the 90's - early 2000's (when Anime was dirt cheap) is that Japanese consumers would import the American DVDs because they usually cost much less than domestic ones and usually had Japanese audio as an option. In order to put a stop to this, they had to put stipulations in the contract to set the price at certain levels to prevent this kind of thing.

There's also the fact that the ONLY reason to dub an anime is for television broadcast. It's like 80% of anime fans that prefer subbed content because it's usually cheaper and gets out faster. So dubbed stuff costs more.
Well I understand this completely, its more that NIS-America and Aniplex follow a collectors model, "ONLY COLLECTORS WANT THIS KIND OF THING SO HERE IS AN ARTBOOK, THAT WILL BE 95$!" no dub, average transfers, burned in subs on stuff with english dubs(BECAUSE JAPANESE REVERSE IMPORTS!). all these things have disuaded me from buying at least a half dozen titles put out by these two. Viz, Sentai filmworks/section23/adv, and Funimation follow an american consumer model. about 40-60 dollars for a show with a few extras, maybe a little swag, usually a cool collectors box. hell AoT was neat with the "book case" which is that its a book cover with space on the inside for the discs and the actual art book in the middle. other than my first dvd in the set was torqued it was a really cool concept.

I think the conclusion is that Ashburner and I need to talk more, because I feel like there is much academic discussion we could have about the anime industry as a whole, and market trends as it relates to the fandom.

Has anyone been watching Space Dandy? I saw the second season premiere last night. I enjoyed it as usual, but this episode (which involves Dandy and his crew encountering various alternate universe versions of themselves) really high-lighted one of the major strengths of the show to me: namely, the use of different lead artists to ensure that aliens (or in this case, alternate universe characters) have a unique visual style, distinct from one another.
Damn straight, I love monster shows for this very reason with all the crazy designs that just keep topping themselves!

Gintama, and Sket Dance, two shows I'm pissed to high hell aren't brought over here. Well Gintama was for a while, but Viz stopped.

And the Disney Doraemon dub is okay from what I've seen of the first ep, other than changing the name of some stuff its basically the same.

Gintama would be tough to bring over at this point, it's 200+ (maybe 300 with that last season?) episodes, and at least a movie or two. That's on par with a battle shounen series and would likely cost a ridiculous amount of cash.

Gintama would be tough to bring over at this point, it's 200+ (maybe 300 with that last season?) episodes, and at least a movie or two. That's on par with a battle shounen series and would likely cost a ridiculous amount of cash.
Fleh, true. Has about the same chance as Kinnikuman getting a proper dub...or any dub.

It also has many hard or impossible to translate jokes based on japanese wordplay and obscure cultural references and is for a shonen jump title really wordy. However the first movie got a english dub.

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk

It also has many hard or impossible to translate jokes based on japanese wordplay and obscure cultural references and is for a shonen jump title really wordy. However the first movie got a english dub.

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk
This is also true, and the reason I still haven't finished the series. I've tried but some of the episodes just go right over my head. Same for Joshiraku, which is MUCH shorter (one cour), but comes with a plethora of very culture-centric jokes.