[TV] The What Anime Are You Watching Thread!

Reading and loving the Hell Teacher Nube manga, it is WAY more gruesome than the show. The most you'd see in the show was like a brightly colored beast disapating, in this when Nube slashes a dude the entrails are seen and everything!

My wife wants me to let you fine folks know she'll be closing up shop for the year after November 8th, so these items will no longer be available after that date-

I hope this doesn't cause any inconvenience! If you want one of these, be sure to get your order in before the 8th. Thanks all!

GasBandit

Staff member
Stop butchering my language,Japan.
Yeah, I had to laugh, too. That's... not what you guys think it means. But they've been doing that with english forever, so, hah hah.

"Sick with justice, I just wanna feel you! Shit out of luck for christ's sake this rotten world, weapon I have it all!"

Dorohodoro: Sometimes picking the weirdest sounding manga turns out perfectly! Its about this guy named Kaiman who is cursed with the head of a lizard and with no memory of what he was before he was curser(insert Savage Dragon joke here). However unlike Savage Dragon and his incredibly hammy 90s dialogue, Kaiman is a vengeance fueled killing machine hellbent on finding the person who cursed him.

Really cool character designs, and if you like a gorey fight manga well this is for you.

Alright....it has been awhile, I blame my work!
I watched Haganai: I Don't Have Very Many Friends and liked all its slice of life weirdness, the ending was adorable and all the characters were interesting and decently fleshed out. I especially enjoyed the protagonists little sister and the novice 11 year old nun. I also caught From Up on Poppy Hill which is adorable and proves Goro Miyazaki has chops to follow his father. The story is beautiful and filled with fun twists. There is also Girls Bravo which makes me wonder how the Japanese endure terrible cartoons just for some T and A. It was the standard romantic harem comedy show. Watched Saber Marionette R one night while drunk and realized it is some dystopian alternate reality of the regular show and is really dumb. Knowing what I know now I would never buy it, however I only paid 5 bucks so I am not going to cry about it to much. Kiki and I finished Sailor Moon R and I enjoyed it as much as the first season. Now started on Sailor Moon S, which is shaping up to be even more ridiculous than R. Second to last I watched both seasons of EMMA: a Victorian Romance which was 32 flavors of awesome romance story in a historical period I don't normally even bother with. standard rich gentleman fall for working class maid. Lastly I fought through season 3 of Inuyasha, which mediocre at best, it is a guilty pleasure however and I find the will to deal with the dumb formulaic story telling and dialogue.

Now I am watching Cromartie High School and enjoying the absurdity of it.

Lastly a friend demanded an updated picture of my collection, so I thought I would link that.

its getting out of control, need more shelves.

GasBandit

Staff member
Ok, so I watched all the Attack on Titan episodes thus far.

This is Battlestar Galactica. Does anybody not see how this is Battlestar Galactica?

Episode 14 of SAO: Wow, what a great end to a series! Sure it was short, but it ended on a high note and implies that things look up in the future as well as not needing to-
SEASON 2!

...what? Uh...what? Okay usually I hate good shows ending in one season, but in THIS case it would've ended on a great and logical closure point! I make an issue of it because I've heard the second season is lackluster- SO *CLAP* Yay or nay?

Episode 14 of SAO: Wow, what a great end to a series! Sure it was short, but it ended on a high note and implies that things look up in the future as well as not needing to-
SEASON 2!

...what? Uh...what? Okay usually I hate good shows ending in one season, but in THIS case it would've ended on a great and logical closure point! I make an issue of it because I've heard the second season is lackluster- SO *CLAP* Yay or nay?
The second season isn't as good as the first, but it's hardly bad. It also ends on a much better note than this one.

I really am enjoying this seasons anime. Log Horizon and Strike the Blood are on my watch ASAP list.
Wish they would finally make an "Gate:Thus the JSDF fought there" anime.

Haven't been here in a while, so let's catch up with what I've been watching.

SAO - both seasons and I loved it all so, so, much.
Attack on Titan
Black Butler (Kuroshitsuji)
Blue Exorcist (Ao no Exorcist)
Fairy Tail
Soul Eater - how could I not enjoy an anime where my names are used for a cute witch-cat (Blair) and a pretty cabaret girl (Lisa/Risa)?!? Seriously.
Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X

I also read Bride of the Water God, a Korean manhwa, up to volume 12. It is more romantic than what I'm used to reading or watching, but the story is good.

I watched the Berserk movies. I watched the original series a long time ago. I remember the series being a little rapey. The movies were a lot rapey. And graphically so. It was uncomfortable.

Current thoughts on the Toonami line-up:

Bleach: It's almost over and I can't wait for it to end. We need new blood.
Naruto: They are closing this out soon to skip straight to Shippuden. Smart move.
One Piece: Glad this is finally on the air.
Soul Eater: I'm enjoying it but it's clear that this is going to turn into another Bleach.
SAO: Lots of fun and a definitive ending coming in a month or two.
FLCL: This is good, but I've seen it so much that it's kinda getting boring. Hope this is switched out after the end.
IGPX: Glad I got to see the second season finally.
Clone Wars: This show really picks up after season 1. Shame Disney cancelled it without finishing the series because it was downright compelling near the end.
FMA:Brotherhood : It's fine. Seen it all though.
InuYasha: Ether pick up the final OVA episodes or cancel this. I know the girls love it but I really just want to see the end.

What I'd like to see? The return of Case Closed or Lupin, but I doubt that will happen.

Soul Eater: I'm enjoying it but it's clear that this is going to turn into another Bleach.
Personally I always thought of Soul Eater as Bleach done right, especially in its mythos. Bleach is very restrained in terms of mythology, powered humans, shinigami, hollow, humans with hollow powers, hollows with shinigami powers, and shinigami with hollow powers. I also find it strange how they never fight any famous youkai in that show, when its supposed to be based in the world of freakin' Japanese mythology! If it were its own world I wouldn't mind as much, but the show tries to make it seem SO much like our world its annoying. Not saying I downright hate the show though, the fights can be interesting and the hollow have cool designs.

Soul Eater is based in its own univese, and they mix it up ALL the time. Demon weapons,dark weapons, meisters, witches, demon weapon/witch/meister hybrid, shinigami, fairies, Vampires, werewolves, ghosts, kishin,and freakin' CLOWNS! Yeah, clowns are a monster in this! HARDCORE! Sprinkled with the occasional FREAKY ASS IMAGERY! The Kishin revealed episode/chapter? CREEPY AS HELL!
What I'd like to see? The return of Case Closed or Lupin, but I doubt that will happen.
Damn straight, question though: does Case Closed still take as many weird jumps like in the first couple seasons? I don't blame the writers though, most of the chapters were just random mysteries that didn't directly tie into the overarching plot so occasionally they would make the mistake of changing an episodes that actually tied into said plot. Like when Conan figured out how the codenames of the men in black worked, and was able to find one of the agents. IN THE SHOW, Harvey tells him out of no-where even though it wasn't established that he knew anything about the men in black. This happened like two other times, where they for some reason replaced the men in black with random criminals of the week. Really some discussion with Aoyama woulda helped, but whats past is past.

Damn straight, question though: does Case Closed still take as many weird jumps like in the first couple seasons? I don't blame the writers though, most of the chapters were just random mysteries that didn't directly tie into the overarching plot so occasionally they would make the mistake of changing an episodes that actually tied into said plot. Like when Conan figured out how the codenames of the men in black worked, and was able to find one of the agents. IN THE SHOW, Harvey tells him out of no-where even though it wasn't established that he knew anything about the men in black. This happened like two other times, where they for some reason replaced the men in black with random criminals of the week. Really some discussion with Aoyama woulda helped, but whats past is past.
The over-arching plot to Detective Conan is completely pointless. It just serves as a way to cause drama and to keep Jimmy a kid. This why the show is more than 500+ episodes in and he's STILL no closer to become a teenager again. This is something that American audiences just never "got" and it's one of the reasons why the show failed in the US. The other is that it's ostensibly a Family Show and should have been aired much earlier in the day that it was.

Once again I'm on the fence on agreeing with you(Case Closed DOES that to me). On the one hand I feel it gives a nice binding to the series and I like the drama, but on the other hand its so lightly touched upon in the manga and show that one does wonder if the show even NEEDS an overarching plot. But still the major watching point for me early on was him trying to confront the damn Men in black! The most suspenseful thing for the viewer isn't how the killer did it, but whether the damn plot will progress or not.

Okay watching SAO season 2 ep 4...I have qualms. For starters, Oberon is WAY too over the top a villain. Like when he said "I bet he'll be too scared to put on a nerve-gear again!" I was all- REALLY?! REALLY?! H-how new ARE you to the super villain thing? You REALLY think this guy is going to let you force the woman of his dreams to marry you, after he spent the last two FREAKIN' years fighting with her?! Can we please stop writing super villains who have never read or seen a story like this before, its just out of date! I don't know if its revealed that this stupidity was all an act and part of his master plan but if not, DEAR DARK LORD is he dumb.

Also, the Suguha fan-service is a bit gratuitous. Season one had some fan-service but it was only light, this season its a bit more in your face. And I hate how the opening makes them seem so couplish, THEY ARE SIBLINGS DAMMIT! And fuck you every harem cartoon ever, IT IS NOT COOL!

Final note: I can not wait for Asuna to start kicking ass again because this Princess Peach crap ain't her.

Also, the Suguha fan-service is a bit gratuitous. Season one had some fan-service but it was only light, this season its a bit more in your face. And I hate how the opening makes them seem so couplish, THEY ARE SIBLINGS DAMMIT! And fuck you every harem cartoon ever, IT IS NOT COOL!

Final note: I can not wait for Asuna to start kicking ass again because this Princess Peach crap ain't her.
The fan service will get REALLY uncomfortable before this season is over. The episode before the finale goes to some kinda fucked up places and a few episodes before that it does some weird stuff too. Be ready for some weird shit.

Been watching Legend of Legendary Heroes on Netflix. The title's doofy even by anime standards, but it's a solid fantasy/action/dramadey. I've been barreling through it this past week. Heaven's Lost Property and My Bride is a Mermaid are on NF as well, I've seen both but they're hilarious and I'll likely rewatch them soon.

This season's got a lot of goodies in it. Build Gundam, NouKome, Strike the Blood, Tokyo Ravens, Non Non Byori and Kill la Kill are all great so far.

The fan service will get REALLY uncomfortable before this season is over. The episode before the finale goes to some kinda fucked up places and a few episodes before that it does some weird stuff too. Be ready for some weird shit.
I second this. It gets uncomfortably weird in places.

I am rewatching K-ON! in preparation for receiving season 2 in the mail tomorrow. it is just as adorable as I remember!

Watched the last episode of Soul Eater today. I need something new before my husband makes me watch Captain Harlock again.

Suggestions?

Awesome. Yeah apparently they decided to reboot the show instead of moving on from 175. :(
D'oh! Last I read it was speculated to be the end at 175, but then Mashima said it was not the end. I was really happy to hear it wasn't cancelled completely, but never paid attention after that. Blah!