[TV] The Walking Dead

So, the Governor is down to just himself and his two remaining lieutenants (who may jump ship at this point) and the crew decides to move everyone left in Woodbury to the prison.

Why didn't they just move in to Woodbury?
Because they need to use the plot idea of Tyrone's telling them there's a secret back entrance and that Gov will kill some people

Because they need to use the plot idea of Tyrone's telling them there's a secret back entrance and that Gov will kill some people
Because AMC is too fucking cheap and wanted to get a whole other season out of the Jail set before moving on. They have to spend money on Mad Men, dontchaknow.

Why didn't they just move in to Woodbury?
Because obviously the Prison is safer and the Govenor is still alive and knows every in and out of the town.

I shouted the entire episode (as usual).
ANDREA STOP FUCKING TALKING AND JUST GET THE FUCK OUT.
Loved it though, so much depth. So much character development. So many possibilities for the next season.

Mad Men is their art piece and the director threatened to walk if he didn't get more cash per an episode. AMC was really backed into the wall. I can't blame them when it's kind of their main piece.

Mad Men is their art piece and the director threatened to walk if he didn't get more cash per an episode. AMC was really backed into the wall. I can't blame them when it's kind of their main piece.
Not anymore:
http://www.hollywood.com/news/tv/21835664/mad-men-breaks-ratings-record-but-can-t-best-walking-dead

http://news.yahoo.com/most-watched-mad-men-not-watched-many-193337809.html

http://www.tvrage.com/news/636/a-ratings-mystery-is-mad-men-deader-than-dead

fade

Staff member
Well, that was kind of uneventful and predictable. Way to follow up an A episode with a C+.

Do you guys watch The Talking Dead? They talked about nearly everything that's spoilered here, including
not moving into woodbury and Andrea's stupid pliers drama

The most interesting part was
Carl gunning down that kid

As usual gotta disagree with ya fade just because major things don't happen doesn't mean that it's uneventful. That shit was tense all the wya through. Predictable? I call bullshit. You had to do a double take during the attack and they
couldn't find anyone until they tried leaving.
You had to do a double take when the Govenor
gunned down his entire town.
You had to do a double take when it's
Milton that ends up ending Andrea.
If not, could you get me next week's lottery numbers?

fade

Staff member
Opinions are great, aren't they? Predictable doesn't mean I knew exactly which way it would pan out, it just means that it was clearly an option, and a likely one. The chances of
Andrea dying
I thought were pretty high. I would've bet money on it. The
Milton thing
was good, though
his death was easy to see coming
. The
Governor thing was the most predictable of all!
In fact, I called it to my wife minutes before it happened.

It doesn't matter anyway, because this kind of show is trope-rich and predictable by nature. That's not what made it a C+ in my opinion. I just didn't feel the episode the way I have the last few episodes.

Calling something within minutes of it happening isn't exactly predictable, that's called good scripting. When they want you to know something's going to happen, they write it that way. When they want to throw you for a loop, they write it that way. Calling something before the episode begins, that's predictable.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying the direction it went, considering the direction the comic took after the main attack, I'm glad to see it panning out this way. Can you imagine if it actually went the way the comic did? There'd have been alot of angry TV only viewers.

fade

Staff member
And since we're apparently giving each other obvious lessons, whether or not the writers want you to predict what's going to happen doesn't really matter. What matters is whether it affects the story feel. Which it did for me.

Yeah, I agree with fade here. We went from an A (hell, an A+) episode to a meh C+ episode.

No point putting this behind spoilers. By now, if you've come this far, you've likely seen the episode. And really, this is all about...

Andrea's death.

I think what bothers me the most about Andrea is that, like Michone, she's one of the most popular characters in the comic. And yet, her character in the show is almost the TOTAL FUCKING OPPOSITE. She's useless, panics, does stupid things, and wastes her fucking time with everything. I kept hoping and hoping and hoping that maybe, maybe she might redeem herself like Carl has.

I've said it several times already, but in the first five minutes of this season, Carl completely redeemed himself for the previous two seasons. And I kept hoping that maybe Andrea might do the same and become the character that I fucking love in the comic. In the comic, she was the badass with the sniper rifle - or hell, any gun. And once in a blue moon, we'd get little snippets of that version of Andrea.

In some ways, the same sort of applies to Lori. In the comic, she was nowhere near as annoying or stupid. Admittedly, she wasn't all that interesting of a character, but at least her death made me actually feel bad. Here, with Andrea? Christ, good riddance.

I felt it was a good episode, not a great one. Some things ...

Andrea
Stupid, pick up the fucking pliers--aw, dead. Yeah. There you go.

Governor
My jaw dropped. I saw him snap just from the look in his eyes and the way the sound died, but I didn't expect him to just throw it all away. Woodbury really could've been the first step to reclaiming civilization in their part of the world. The Governor just mowed them down. Also, at the prison I felt that the group could have locked the Woodbury invaders in and let the walkers roaming the tombs do the work.

Carl
Was anyone else on Carl's side for what he did? Not because of his speech, but they told the guy to drop his gun. He said he was going to hand it over, and kept looking shifty-eyed between Hershel and Carl. His free hand looked ready to grab Carl's gun and I muttered "Shoot him" as I thought Carl was about to get his gun taken. Then Carl did the smart thing and stopped it from happening. He made the right call. The idiot should have put his gun down like they told him.

Ending
I think Rick may have bit off more than he can chew with all those old folks and children. At the same time, the disappearance of his Lori hallucination is a big deal. Now he's got a lot else to deal with, but the guilt can begin to fade. While I do think Woodbury would've been the better place to live in, the prison is more secure and the Governor probably knows many ins and outs to that town. Against walkers, it's fine, but not against people.

Looking forward to next season.

Am I the only one who didn't really hate Carl all that much in Season 1 and 2? Yeah, he did stupid things, but he's also a kid. He's supposed to do stupid shit then ether learn or die. But Andrea? What excuse does she have?

I'm with Carl on this one. Rick fucked up time and time again and the last time Carl had to clean it up for him. Carl wants to shoot a kid who should have just dropped the gun in the first place? Go ahead.

Carl never truly bothered me so far. He's a kid who wants to help and he's a kid growing up in a world that's really fucked up.

As for what happened....

I would have shot him as well. I don't give a fuck if he was dropping his weapon, this guy voluntarily came to my home, shot my place up, was routed by my tactics and what will I do with him? Make him my prisoner? Do I have to feed him my precious food? It's one thing to take in a survivor... it's another to take a prisoner who came to my place and tried to kill my group. Good riddance.

Am I the only one who didn't really hate Carl all that much in Season 1 and 2? Yeah, he did stupid things, but he's also a kid. He's supposed to do stupid shit then ether learn or die. But Andrea? What excuse does she have?
Being too optimistic about human nature for a post-zombie apocalypse world.

Carl is far and away the best character arc going on the show right now. I think the writers have handled him great.

He was totally in the right to shoot that guy as there is no way that anyone would consider what he was doing surrendering. When you surrender you drop your weapons, you don't try and inch up on the kid with a gun thinking you can get the drop on him. Herschel saw what he wanted to see, and Rick was wrong in this instance. The reason Rick isn't seeing Lori anymore is because Carl told him off... quoting Daryl here... like a boss!

I wish they did a better job with Andrea. Like Nick, I feel like she is one of the best characters in the comic so it was sad to see her be such a different person in the show.

As for the ending...

I did not like that we didn't get a truly big show down as the whole second half of the season has been building towards it. As shocking as the Governor turning on the Woodburians was, I want more walking dead in my Walking Dead... especially for a season finale. The least they could have done is actually had several of the invaders get taken down by walkers rather than just running scared. That said I am still interested to see where this will go. in season 4. The comic spent a lot of time at the prison before we even got to Woodbury so I am hoping that we will see some of that stuff play out.

Regarding Carl

While the kid was being an idiot to by not following orders exactly, he was surrendering. It's telling that Carl didn't see it as a fake out, as his only justification for shooting him was "He drew on us" (by having his gun out when they saw each other), not "he was lying".

Can't wait to see if we get the same comic treatment for Tyrese and Michonne. That should prove interesting though Michonne is a very different character than she is in the comics.

Agreed with many people here that

Carl was 'right' in shooting the kid. The kid was asked to drop the gun, instead he inched forward, his hand still on/near the trigger. You fucking drop the gun and you put your hands up. Even I was yelling "SHOOT! SHOOT".
[DOUBLEPOST=1364928732][/DOUBLEPOST]
Can't wait to see if we get the same comic treatment for Tyrese and Michonne. That should prove interesting though Michonne is a very different character than she is in the comics.
I don't think she's that much different. She's taken a long time to warm up, for sure, but she's this quiet, intense person who has obviously been damaged in multiple ways. If anything, she's a better character than the comics.

damn, cuz that would be interesting!
Definitely. I'm wondering if this part of the story will play out much like the beginning of the prison arc in the comics. I just can't fathom where they're going to go from here with all those people now. Supply issues?
Govenor still creeping around?
Infighting? So many possibilities.

I suspect the next season is ether going to be wholly original or just a transfer of locations with the current story in the comics. If it's original, I'd like to see if the show writers can do it without it becoming stale.

I dunno, other than locations the show has been almost completely original from the comics. Characters, plot lines, twists, etc are almost completely different.

I was a bit disappointed that there was no big showdown, but I can live with it. We got a hell of a showdown in the episode before.

EDIT: Another thought. I think how Carl is growing up is going to be a bigger conflict next season now that Rick is actually paying attention and I can't wait to see it play out, because in a way ...
Carl is turning into Shane.

I was a bit disappointed that there was no big showdown, but I can live with it. We got a hell of a showdown in the episode before.

EDIT: Another thought. I think how Carl is growing up is going to be a bigger conflict next season now that Rick is actually paying attention and I can't wait to see it play out, because in a way ...
Carl is turning into Shane.
His real dad! hahaha

As for next season, I suspect it will be like the comics in that

the next time we see the Governor he's riding a tank into the prison

Next season they settle in to the prison, open a coffee shop and things kind of pick up a "Friends: with Zombies" vibe. It'll be pretty chill and we will see a lot of relationships explored.

Carl never truly bothered me so far. He's a kid who wants to help and he's a kid growing up in a world that's really fucked up.

As for what happened....

I would have shot him as well. I don't give a fuck if he was dropping his weapon, this guy voluntarily came to my home, shot my place up, was routed by my tactics and what will I do with him? Make him my prisoner? Do I have to feed him my precious food? It's one thing to take in a survivor... it's another to take a prisoner who came to my place and tried to kill my group. Good riddance.

Problem for me is that what Carl did echos exactly the fear that drives the Governor's initial motivations for how he is. This action sets Carl down a dangerous path - the kid might grow up to be another Shane. Wasn't that sort of the theme for the entire season? Fear, guilt, and redemption? Rick was initially very trusting, broke down after the farm, and refused to let anyone in after Lori's death. On that note, I think Carl made the right call in this instance. I'm sure the Governor made similar calls in the beginning before realizing his power.

Finally caught up. Really enjoyed the last three episodes.

On Carl:
Carl has really come the longest this season. He's always been that connection to the world that was, until this episode, I feel like. Earlier in the season he was the one who saved Tyreese and his group. At this point though, it's unclear if Rick would have done the same, considering what had just happened with the inmates. Probably not, considering he throws them out during the height of his visions. The first time I noticed that Carl was changing to more keep up with the times is when he didn't say anything about the hitchhiker.

At first, when he shot the kid, I wasn't sure if it was justified. On the one hand the kid wasn't giving up like he really should have. On the other, Carl still lied about saying that the kid drew his weapon on him. My first thought was that Carl was angry at not only his dad for putting him on guard duty but also this group, and so he wanted to just kill one of them. Basically I thought he might have just had bloodlust, similar to The Governor. Later when he gives his reason, I was more on his side.

This is where things get interesting though. If we look at the main Villain of the show, notably Shane and The Governor, they were both driven largely by that "by any means necessary" survival instinct albeit with a healthy dose on insanity mixed in.