[TV] The Walking Dead

I like Carl. I don't think he's a bad kid, and he's not whiny either.

Two points I've liked Lori so far: when she was helping Carl do homework, and when she agrees with Shane against Rick for once.

Lori's problem (in the first season at least) were that she clearly read the comics and decided to treat Shane like he was the asshole he was in the book.

Walking Dead saddened me. The first episode was one of the best piece of american TV I've seen. Unfortunately Episodes 3, 4, and 5 decided to one up each other as the worst episode of television ever written and produced.

Finished the series so far, and since AMC doesn't seem to be streaming season 3, I'll have to wait for next year to see what's coming.

I really wanted Shane and Daryl to take Randall away, so it'd just be those two, no bitching, no bellyaching, just doing what they had to. Shane was right so many times and Rick was fucking dragging his feet, episode after episode.

I was surprised by the dead rising reveal. I've seen and read various zombie fictions with different rules, so I don't take anything for granted that isn't shown. The first season made a point of establishing in the dialogue that bites and scratches spread the disease. I didn't figure they were going for "all dead come back" until Rick was checking on the two cops he and Shane had knifed.

Also,

I didn't want Shane to die... Lori still sucks. I thought Andrea was a goner. Big sigh of relief when the cars met where they had first left the road.

No it didn't. The CDC guy never mentioned it and no one who got bit lasted more than a minute because they were getting killed.
The very first guy Rick met, the black guy with a kid, asked if he was bitten or scratched, and revealed that his wife died after being bitten because of the fast infection.

No it didn't. The CDC guy never mentioned it and no one who got bit lasted more than a minute because they were getting killed.
They said over and over not to get bit or scratched. That warning was emphasized, point being (for those who didn't read the comic) to insinuate that that was the only way to become a walker. I didn't mean a character made it a point; I meant the writers/people behind the show.

Why couldn't they have it both ways? They assumed up until that point that the only way to come back was from a bite or a scratch. So why couldn't it just be both?

Why couldn't they have it both ways? They assumed up until that point that the only way to come back was from a bite or a scratch. So why couldn't it just be both?
It can be.

But with the show emphasizing the one and never bringing up the other until they wanted to, you're led to assume there's only the one way, until the show starts picking at it. It's a lie of omission a.k.a. a good way to do a twist in a story, as opposed to M. Night's method of throwing some weird shit in late in the game.

They did do both. They've established that a bite or scratch will kill you (see: the guy they left chained to a tree) but we now know that it isn't the scratch that turns you. You're already infected.

It can be.

But with the show emphasizing the one and never bringing up the other until they wanted to, you're led to assume there's only the one way, until the show starts picking at it. It's a lie of omission a.k.a. a good way to do a twist in a story, as opposed to M. Night's method of throwing some weird shit in late in the game.
But they hadn't encountered any other situation up until then, so why would they assume anything different? Just because they didn't bring it up doesn't mean it's a bad thing.

But they hadn't encountered any other situation up until then, so why would they assume anything different? Just because they didn't bring it up doesn't mean it's a bad thing.
I don't believe he was calling it a bad thing. He said it was a good way to introduce a twist.

One more thing of note that Jay mentioned earlier in the thread: loved the theme. Made for such a great atmosphere every episode.

I also enjoyed the flashbacks.

Those are my favorite parts of the show before I see a bunch of yanks not having a goddamn clue on how to survive beyond whining and crying about everything and my mind drifting to sweet ideas of zombies taking a bite out of Lori.

Loved it. I'm really excited for this season.

My only real problem with the group action is that if you can kill the walkers pretty easily as they come up to the fence I don't know why you wouldn't attempt to do that for every single one. I could understand you would t want ALL of them pressing up on the gates at once, but in waves it would be fine. The only real downside is the time it would take.

Even if they want to push in, they have excillent choke points at the doors. No need to go to the walkers, let them come to you.

If this season is anything like the comic, THIS is the season where the really fucked up stuff is going to start happening. You think you've seen brutal stuff? You haven't. Not even close.

I see they are using Herschal as a Dale stand-in for some story elements. This is gonna go sad and interesting places.

Not even a minute in and Carl was more useful than the entire first two seasons. There was plenty of zombies, plenty of gore, still some great character development, and best of all? Less of Lady MacBeth.

Things are looking up. They should've dumped Darabont sooner.[DOUBLEPOST=1350342875][/DOUBLEPOST]
Want to watch...

More zombies in this first episode than all of last season.

I really have high expectations for this season. Looks like they're finally figuring it out.

And the girl who plays Andrea is still the worst actor on the show. I hate her character so much, and its not evne because the character is such a bitch, it's because I can't stand her delivery.

Lori and Andrea are definitely on my shit-list.

Characters aside, one can't act worth a damn and the other makes me cringe whenever I see her gaunt body. That preggers stomach was so damn fake I cringed.

The nagging housewife shtick doesn't stand when society crumbles.

Got to see it. Terrific episode. I had shivers every time one of the gates creaked open. Can't wait for next week.

It's interesting how they've managed to screw up two of the strongest female characters in the comics. Lori in the comics was nowhere near this annoying. Not even remotely. And Andrea has been a fan favourite from almost the very beginning.

Really hoping that same curse doesn't happen to Michonne.

Lori really didn't stand out in the comics once the thing with Shane was over (and she was MUCH less involved in the comics). She always had her moments with Rick and Carl, but she wasn't exactly at the forefront of most of the drama... well... except for that ONE thing with Sophia's mom that probably isn't going to happen now. Thank god.

Speaking of Sophia's mom, she's been WAY too mellow about losing her kid and way too quick about trying to impress Daryl. I guess it could be that she looks to him because he really put the most effort into finding Sophia, but if this isn't some kind of mental thing, she's just plain cold.

Speaking of Sophia's mom, she's been WAY too mellow about losing her kid and way too quick about trying to impress Daryl. I guess it could be that she looks to him because he really put the most effort into finding Sophia, but if this isn't some kind of mental thing, she's just plain cold.
It's been 6-8 months in a post-apocolyptic world where everyday is a struggle for survival and can bring her face to face with death. She doesn't have the luxury of still being broken up about Sophia, she has to be able to move on. Everyone else has lost people as well, but just like her, they've put it behind them and focused on what's ahead. Anyone who can't do that is likely give up all hope and to end up suicidally depressed.

Is it 6-8 months? I thought it was more like 3 tops. They basically just scavenged through winter and now it's spring... and considering they are in Georgia, winter is nothing like it would have been up north. Though I STILL think this time skip is bullshit, because of how little they've traveled in that time. It's a giant plot hole: ether they didn't look very hard for shelter or they were blind.

The comics avoided this whole issue by not having the time skip. They get to the prison when Lori is starting to show and then spend the next several issues (like two dozen of them) having them secure the prison, get the crops going, deal with the prison survivors, coax Hershel into coming to the prison (he stays behind at the farm alone for awhile in the comics), and other drama. By the time they handled most of that, Lori was almost ready to have the baby.

I'm assuming 6-8 based on Lori's pregnacy. She's gone from no outward physical sign to them all thinking she'll have it any day now. She couldn't have been more than 3 months pregnant at the end of the last season, could she?

I'm assuming 6-8 based on Lori's pregnacy. She's gone from no outward physical sign to them all thinking she'll have it any day now. She couldn't have been more than 3 months pregnant at the end of the last season, could she?
It honestly entirely depends on how much time they spent clearing roads to get from Atlanta to the CDC HQ and then from there to the farm and how long Rick was on the road when he tried to get to Atlanta. He had a horse for some of the trip, but who knows for how long. Then add in 2-3 months for winter.

So it's probably been more like 3-4 months since Sophia bit it.