[TV] The Walking Dead

Look, guys. Guys! I'm fine, okay? It was just a little nip, that's all. Nothing serious.

Though I am feeling a little peckish right about now. Who's up for some live flesh?

The dialogue has always been Robert kirkman's weak point. He tries to make it seem natural, but that makes it also seem unnatural. Like if you were in a camp of survivors you probably would, at some point, give your backstory like that. It just seems weird to have characters in a comic just come out as do it though the way it does.

I think it does get better, or at least you get used to it and or forgive it to see what happens next.
Spoilered just cause its related to the comic:
I have only read up to volume 4 (And I read volume 6 as well, but having not read volume 5 I didn't really know what was happening). I kinda assumed the dialogue must get better for it to go on as long as it has and for it to be as popular as it it. Disappointed I was wrong.

I very much enjoyed this last episode. As for the "Oh no, the voice of reason is gone..." I don't think that'll be an issue as now someone can either say "Remember Dale? What would he have wanted....." guilt trip or even taken up his cause with greater fervor.

I very much enjoyed this last episode. As for the "Oh no, the voice of reason is gone..." I don't think that'll be an issue as now someone can either say "Remember Dale? What would he have wanted....." guilt trip or even taken up his cause with greater fervor.
Or maybe T Dog, or that kid they picked up, will fill in as voice of reason.

At this point I'm kind of figuring that T-Dog will be the last person alive, if only because it's hard for him to get killed in his 5 seconds of camera time per episode.

T-dog is probably going to have a throwaway death, which is too bad. I hope we get to see more of him though before that happens.

My predictions for survival rates:

T dog, carol and most of Hershal's family that we never really see (looking at you, son that I'm not sure is named) might as well be wearing red shirts. Maybe not carol quite yet, if they do decide to let her and Darryl have a thing but otherwise she's doomed.

Maggie is in a grey area, and while I hate to admit it I think glen is too. Either one of them could be the next meaningful death. The new guy i'd place in this area too. He won't have a random death, but it wot be as big a shocker as some other characters.

Hershal will survive as long as the farm does. Darryl will survive until he gets closure on his brother. Lori is safe until the baby is born.

Shane can only be killed as a season or mid season finale. If he survives that he'll be Good for another 6 episodes.

Rick and Carl are highlanders.

I'm pretty sure these last few episodes were what Frankie D. had scripted out, episodes 3/4 - 9 were probably filler brought in by the AMC suits.

Glad they finally stopped holding that off... it should have happened back in Season 1, back when Shane still had a bit of sympathy going for him.

T-dog is probably going to have a throwaway death, which is too bad. I hope we get to see more of him though before that happens.

My predictions for survival rates:

T dog, carol and most of Hershal's family that we never really see (looking at you, son that I'm not sure is named) might as well be wearing red shirts. Maybe not carol quite yet, if they do decide to let her and Darryl have a thing but otherwise she's doomed.

Maggie is in a grey area, and while I hate to admit it I think glen is too. Either one of them could be the next meaningful death. The new guy i'd place in this area too. He won't have a random death, but it wot be as big a shocker as some other characters.

Hershal will survive as long as the farm does. Darryl will survive until he gets closure on his brother. Lori is safe until the baby is born.

Shane can only be killed as a season or mid season finale. If he survives that he'll be Good for another 6 episodes.

Rick and Carl are highlanders.

WELP!

Fuck me, I guess.

Mixed feelings on the episode. Shane went from his usual 7 on the crazy scale to a 12 pretty quick. Rick's own plan to deal with it felt kind of...stupid as well. Shane gives him a clear shot, but instead of taking it he talks Shane down enough so that he can get in close and shank him? I can understand a general need to be quiet and not waste ammo, but to keep that in mind while his his friend is pulling a Brutus on him with a loaded gun? Rick is either a Jedi or an idiot.

And talk about scumbag Carl! Hasn't had shooting practice since like season 1. Shoots right past his father at a target behind him.

"dad, lookout!"

How hard is that? And I'm just going to say it, Lori is a bad mother. Well, maybe Carl is a ninja? He seems to be really good at sneaking up on people.

I do have a question for people who aren't normally zombie fans or at least haven't read the comic. Was the reveal about zombies a shocker to you?

Edit: well, I guess my death prediction wasn't that far off. Shane bought it an episode early while the next one looks like it'll be almost entirely zombie ass kicking. I am promoting T dog though since he got some screen time.

WELP!

Fuck me, I guess.

Mixed feelings on the episode. Shane went from his usual 7 on the crazy scale to a 12 pretty quick. Rick's own plan to deal with it felt kind of...stupid as well. Shane gives him a clear shot, but instead of taking it he talks Shane down enough so that he can get in close and shank him? I can understand a general need to be quiet and not waste ammo, but to keep that in mind while his his friend is pulling a Brutus on him with a loaded gun? Rick is either a Jedi or an idiot.

And talk about scumbag Carl! Hasn't had shooting practice since like season 1. Shoots right past his father at a target behind him.

"dad, lookout!"

How hard is that? And I'm just going to say it, Lori is a bad mother. Well, maybe Carl is a ninja? He seems to be really good at sneaking up on people.

I do have a question for people who aren't normally zombie fans or at least haven't read the comic. Was the reveal about zombies a shocker to you?

Edit: well, I guess my death prediction wasn't that far off. Shane bought it an episode early while the next one looks like it'll be almost entirely zombie ass kicking. I am promoting T dog though since he got some screen time.

What's the reveal? That anyone who dies becomes one, regardless of how they die? That's been a zombie staple since Night of the Living Dead.

Actually, I think they are going to use this as an excuse to leave the farm now. Expect a lot of people to die in the next episode to trim down the cast. My predictions?

- Carol (Served her purpose for the plot. Not a lot of reason to keep her around now)
- Jimmy (Because he's not important AT ALL)
- Beth (Same reason. Served her purpose with the suicide episode)
- Patricia (Now that Otis isn't around, she's not important ether)

T-Dog is on my maybe list.

What's the reveal? That anyone who dies becomes one, regardless of how they die? That's been a zombie staple since Night of the Living Dead.
Yeah, pretty much this. The bites are mostly dangerous because they tend to infect the wound and antibiotics are in short supply. The only reason this hasn't come up before is because they haven't had to kill anyone before.

Also, this is a much deserved punch to the face for anyone who was in the "pro-suicide" camp. It's not your fucking decision when your leaving a flesh hungry walker behind for your loved ones to deal with.

It hadn't occurred to me that that was any sort of "reveal". That's almost always the case in zombie fiction so I had just assumed. If that's even what you're talking about. (In fact in the very first episode, the soldier in the tank reanimated, and there was nothing there to suggest that he was bit or had died of anything but starvation).

Shane's sudden meltdown was quick, but we've seen little inklings of his being insane in the past, and Lori apologizing to him, admitting their affair wasn't as one sided as she'd previously insisted, and admitting that it may be his child, clearly pushed him over the edge. You can see it in his face in that scene. Probably the best acting out of this show so far, really.

Why Rick, who clearly knew something was up, just went along with it for so long, I have no idea. Rick doesn't often make the smartest decisions.

I think Lauren Cohan had an interesting point on Talking Dead. It's possible Shane lured Rick out to force Rick to kill him. He certainly was taunting Rick into doing something, whether that was an old-school fast draw or something similar.

Can we all admit that Lori is the real enemy in this show? Because there hasn't been a single instance of her doing ANYTHING helpful. Every time she opens her mouth, she only makes things worse.

I think I preferred how it went down in the comic:

Basically, Carl had already shot a couple of zombies beforehand. And while Shane had a gun pointed at Rick, Carl shoots him in the neck, killing him. It provided a great character moment where Carl starts bawling, saying "It's not the same killing the living..."

Still, this does add a layer to Rick in that he'll do anything to save his family, even killing his best friend. Shane snapping has been inevitable since the beginning. He's had outbursts before, but a lot of his inner crazy was handled extremely well by the actor. Just in the way he reacted, sometimes saying nothing at all. I've said from the beginning that I'm really glad they kept Shane alive as long as they did because he added such an interesting addition to the cast that the comic didn't have: the crazy man. Normally, in a zombie or survivor group, there's someone who snaps. In this case, I think Shane snapped long ago. He knew he snapped. Others knew he snapped. But they kept him around because he was still too valuable in keeping them alive. Plus, it makes this moment, the final confrontation between Rick and Shane, all the more interesting and layered than the comic.

That said, I still think I would have preferred it going down like it did in the comic.

^spoiler that. They don't appreciate comic talk in these-here parts.
I think AMC is wise to take that bit of character development from Carl. It worked in the comics, but I don't think it would have worked in the show, if only because I don't think the kid playing Carl could have done that justice. The show is definitely focusing more on Rick than even the comic did anyway, and this is a HUGE development for Rick's character. Its a much bigger sacrifice for him than it would be for Carl. That same moment with Carl can easily be replicated down the line with virtually anybody (Earl, maybe? Ooooo, I like that...) taking Shane's place. But there isn't anyone who could've made that moment as powerful for Rick.

So, I guess they went with a generic, you die, you become a Z excuse regardless on how you die? Answers to that would be interesting to get. I understand bites, or some sort of transmitted disease but..... I'm a Z in 2 minutes flat?

Still was a great episode but wow, that change was quick as fuck.

One of the fan theories is that the cause is airborn/ambient and everyone on Earth is already infected. The bites are mainly dangerous because mouths are rife with bacteria, so any bites are likely to get infected very quickly. Getting infected is basically a death sentence in a world without antibiotics.

But yeah... Shane got up in like 60 seconds flat. That part was kinda bullshit.

That's a pretty common explanation in a lot of zombie fiction nowadays it seems.
On a side note, everyone should read "The Zombie Autopsies" by Dr Steven Schlozman. It gives one of the best explanations, in my opinion.

fade

Staff member
I liked how Romero intentionally avoided answering how it happened. He said he regrets putting the part about the satellite in the first film, even though the anchorman made it clear that was just a rumor.

I liked how Romero intentionally avoided answering how it happened. He said he regrets putting the part about the satellite in the first film, even though the anchorman made it clear that was just a rumor.
This is one of the reasons why Kirkman really never addresses the issue in the comic. Knowing why it happens isn't going to help you in the long run if you can barely get supplies for each day.

Exactly. It felt weird that this was supposed to be some kind of reveal when it's kind of just accepted. I didn even consider that the characters didn't know this until the two cops from before.

I mean it's a nice touch to add to the world where they don't have zombie movies but for us it's just a given. Like it felt weird that they would even spend the small amount of time that they did on it. You know?

Looks like they remembered the helo in Season 1. It's the reason for the herd!

AND HOLY FUCK THE RAZING OF THE FARM WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!

Amazing episode.

Kudos for Rick finally growing balls at the end there.

WAAAH WAAAAAAAAAAH

DON'T LIKE IT? GO FUCK OFF THEN. BUT IF YOU'RE STAYING. THIS IS NO LONGER A DEMOCRACY.

Baaaaaallllls