[TV] The Walking Dead

This was an interesting episode. Gonna wait for peeps to catch up before I post more extended thoughts.

I will say the best fight was not the one with fists ;)

For some reason had a brain fart today and thought it was on at 10. Only realized now that I've missed nearly the whole episode. Whoops.

Very interesting episode. I liked it.

Favorite part? Andrea fucking putting Lori in her place.

Fantastic.

This was my entire thought process during that scene: I hate both of you so much right now, but I hate Lori way more for endangering herself and her child than I hate Andrea for being inept. So Lori? You can go fuck yourself.

And then Andrea did something else that was stupid and now it's a dead heat again.

Ok, I caught up with the series. So far I'm really enjoying this new arch.

First episode was pretty good. It dealt with some of the aftermath of the barn and set up the new equilibrium for the rest of the season. Everyone is upset about what happened, both Hershal's clan because they've had to deal with the fact that the walkers are dead and Camp Rick because Sofia was with them. The ending really appealed to me because of the parallels between Hershel initially refusing sanctuary for Rick and his people, and now Rick having to do the same to these new guys. I wonder if anyone will try to leave the farm now, though. With Sofia being a major reason why they were still there, will some of the minor characters like T-dog decide to leave?

2nd episode. We've picked up at the bar right after Rick takes out the two new guys. I like the way a lot of this sequence played out. Rick tried to make peace and explain before just opening up on them, Glenn having a moment of doubt and everything. The only thing that felt out of place was Hershel deciding that he was a badass now. He shoots a zombie, and even shoots that other guy, like it ain't no thang. Granted he was doing it out of survival, but it still felt weird that he'd give zero fucks about it. I liked the situation at the end with if they should take the guy, shoot him, or just fuckin' leave him.

3rd episode. This one felt a little... motionless? I mean they're in the almost exact same situation they were in before. I liked the initial solution of deciding to just leave him in a place where he'll have a chance but won't be able to get back. It felt humane while still protecting your own. I thought they were a bit too quick to flip out when they realized he knew about the farm anyway. Really all of their dealings with him from that point on felt weird to me. If it were me, I'd probably just blind fold him again and instead of 20 miles down the road I'd shoot for 100 or so. Why not just take him so far away that it'd be extremely unlikely for him to find his way back, or even have a reason to come back at all. Then after the ordeal at the facility they were at, they make him pull over so they can bind and gag him again? Even though he's fully aware of whats up? It just seems like they've stopped thinking about the situation and I don't know if it's a character decision or a producer decision. We also have these two scenes of Rick and Shane talking which can be summed up with Rick telling Shane that it's his way or the highway. Overall I feel like we're on the same page we were at the end of the last episode, character wise. Although we did see the real difference between Shane and Rick. I feel like given the chance, Shane would have killed Rick right then and there, as we saw with the wrench. I also think that Shane would have left Rick in the school bus in a heartbeat.

It seems the big question of this half of the season is going to be if they should kill this guy or not. While I do enjoy the moral question itself, my fear is that this will be dragged out a bit too long. To me, the solution is to just let him go, but far, far away from the group. I think we might get another explosive reaction out of Shane though, who will probably just end up killing him. The big reveal though, is that Shane will shoot him in the chest and they'll find out that it's not just those who die by scratches or bites that come back, it's everyone.

At this point, I really don't think they have any choice except to kill him. He knows Maggie and may be able to find the farm, he's had both Rick and Shane threaten his life, and they still kicked the shit out of him despite him helping out with saving Shane. If he wasn't going to rat them out, he sure as hell is now.

Assuming his group is even still there. The same group that he had no real ties to, and left him for dead back in the town. This guy doesn't owe them anything.

He's not actually a bad guy, is the thing. He joined up with a group of survivors, two of whom went into a bar while looking for supplies and were shot by some other group. That group claimed that his friends pulled weapons on them, but how is this guy (I really need to remember his name) supposed to know that?

I think these things are going to come up in the decision on if to kill him or not.

I swear to F'ing God that Merle was driving the truck that drove off with the other group of survivors but no one else on the interwebs seems to think so.

I don't think merle would apologize for leaving him behind. He'd probably yell out something like "sucks to be your,assface!"

And then fly away on a jetpack powdered by racism.

Ho-lee fuck. It was one hell of an ending.

Didn't help that we've got a houseguest that started SOBBING at the end, like her puppy had died or something. Crazy bitches.

Man was that a slow episode... the last 10 minutes made up for it though.

But who the fuck walks around alone in the dark like that, seriously?

I actually liked the debate throughout the episode. Could see both sides wrestling back and forth, and then the ending just kinda leaps on you and tears out your intestines.

Ho-lee fuck. It was one hell of an ending.

Didn't help that we've got a houseguest that started SOBBING at the end, like her puppy had died or something. Crazy bitches.

Aww but it's Dale. I didn't see that coming at all. I knew they wouldn't execute Randal, but damn. Damn.

Aww but it's Dale. I didn't see that coming at all. I knew they wouldn't execute Randal, but damn. Damn.

As fun as it is to rag on the show-runners, if you don't build up your characters, these rather untimely character turns just don't have the impact. I don't feel bad discussing the comic any more though because the TV series and the comic have diverged so much now.

right before Daryl pulled the trigger, I swear, the first thing that popped into my head was:

Added at: 22:34
As fun as it is to rag on the show-runners, if you don't build up your characters, these rather untimely character turns just don't have the impact. I don't feel bad discussing the comic any more though because the TV series and the comic have diverged so much now.

Yeah about that. So I caved and bought volume 1 of the comic. It included like the first four or five issues. So, does it get better in terms of writing? Cause man oh man, I felt like I was back in third grade reading that horrible dialog.

right before Daryl pulled the trigger, I swear, the first thing that popped into my head was:

Added at: 22:34

Yeah about that. So I caved and bought volume 1 of the comic. It included like the first four or five issues. So, does it get better in terms of writing? Cause man oh man, I felt like I was back in third grade reading that horrible dialog.
I don't believe the strength of the comic is in its writing; it's a horror comic that breaks convention. No topic is taboo and no character is safe.

I did like how the kid finally mattered somewhat being involved in both the prisoner storyline and ultimately somewhat be directly involved in Dale's death.

I honestly forgot T-Dog existed its been so long since he's done anything. Not that he did anything this episode either, but when I saw him in the house I was like "Oh yeeeeeeeeeah, I remember him!"

I don't believe the strength of the comic is in its writing; it's a horror comic that breaks convention. No topic is taboo and no character is safe.
The dialogue has always been Robert kirkman's weak point. He tries to make it seem natural, but that makes it also seem unnatural. Like if you were in a camp of survivors you probably would, at some point, give your backstory like that. It just seems weird to have characters in a comic just come out as do it though the way it does.

I think it does get better, or at least you get used to it and or forgive it to see what happens next.

fade

Staff member
I honestly forgot T-Dog existed its been so long since he's done anything. Not that he did anything this episode either, but when I saw him in the house I was like "Oh yeeeeeeeeeah, I remember him!"
My wife said the same thing. When he showed up for like five seconds, she says, "Wow I forgot he was still alive!" Good episode. I really dislike Andrea's stance on suicide though. Nobody ever points out that it's not really just her choice because she removes herself as an asset to the group if she commits suicide. It does affect everyone, despite her protests. It's a very cold way to look at it, but it's a valid counter to her stupid, smug arguments.

I, too, liked the debate. Though honestly, I saw the "kid as deciding factor" thing coming a mile away, only because he wasn't included in the debate. I mean, why the hell couldn't he be included? He's seen just as much as the rest of them. He's been through hard times, too. Yeah, he's "just a kid," but he's a part of the group, too. Even though a large part of me honestly hoped he'd get eaten by that stuck zombie. Idiot kid taunting a deadhead and not having the balls to just pull the trigger? Yeah, wished he was eaten.

As far as Dale is concerned, he was always my favourite character in the comic. I really, REALLY don't like that they killed him. Not just because he was my favourite, but because he was - as Mathias said - the last voice of reason. I also really hate that we never got to see his and Andrea's relationship blossom like it did in the comic. Ordinarily, I'd put a spoiler behind that, but he's dead on the show, now, so it hardly matters.

fade

Staff member
I really liked Carl playing around the zombie. It was realistic. How many times did you tempt death when you were that age? I know for me it was all the time. Curiosity trumps intelligence at that age.

Now see, that's fine. I understood what he was doing at first: studying it. He was curious. And when he was at a distance, just starring at it? Sure. Throwing rocks at it? Okay. But blatantly playing ring-a-round-the-rosie with something that can bite your face off? Begging to be eaten.

What, you never teased a neighbor's big ferocious dog (that was securely leashed and behind a chain fence) when you were a kid? I'm not saying it's right, but it's something kids do.

I really liked Carl playing around the zombie. It was realistic. How many times did you tempt death when you were that age? I know for me it was all the time. Curiosity trumps intelligence at that age.

Haha, when that scene popped up, I thought to myself, "so this is the zombie apocalypse version of a hornet's nest."