[TV] The Walking Dead

I don't know, it seemed to me that Hershal DID change a bit when Shane was making his point - ie, he shot her (the first zombie he shoots) right in the chest multiple times, in the heart, lungs, etc. A person would normally be dead in that instance, but she kept on going like nothing happened. The look on Hershal's face to me said that he finally "got it", even if he didn't WANT to believe it.
I thought it was interesting that the group had no problem killing the dead coming out of the barn since they had no emotional ties to any of them while Hershel just sat there stunned. But when Sohpia came out the group got hit with the reality Hershel faced. Instead of them being nameless, faceless dead it became real since it was one if their own. At that moment the roles were reversed and nobody had the stones to put her down but Rick. Rick does have compassion and does not want to kill for the sake of killing. But he can when pushed.
Much like this forum needs Charlie (and for the record I do enjoy the exchanges between many of you and Charlie) the group needs Shane. Charlie is our Shane. When this place implodes and chaos rules only Charlie will be able to restore order.

Much like this forum needs Charlie (and for the record I do enjoy the exchanges between many of you and Charlie) the group needs Shane. Charlie is our Shane. When this place implodes and chaos rules only Charlie will be able to restore order.
STFU Steve

Yeah, if you'll compare this to other HBO shows, this doesn't even come close. The 2nd season is fine but I thought the 1st was far better overall. Compared to classics like Rome? Sopranos? Band of Brothers? So many to name. I gotta watch Deadwood... one of my favorite actors is in it and I must fix that.
I sometimes wonder just how good this show could be if they had the budget and freedom that being on HBO provides.

I thought it was interesting that the group had no problem killing the dead coming out of the barn since they had no emotional ties to any of them while Hershel just sat there stunned. But when Sohpia came out the group got hit with the reality Hershel faced. Instead of them being nameless, faceless dead it became real since it was one if their own. At that moment the roles were reversed and nobody had the stones to put her down but Rick. Rick does have compassion and does not want to kill for the sake of killing. But he can when pushed.
Wait, this means
we'll get to have an eight year old
shoot Charlie in the face when he's trying to wrest control of this place from Dave?

I'd watch that.

Actually, Rick alludes to that in the very first episode of season 2 while on the Walkie Talkie, trying to contact Morgan. Jackass.
I did watch the first episode of Season 2 before I gave up (when the kid got hilariously shot playing with the deer), but alluding is quite different from saying what it was. And I assume it hasn't been brought up since.

ALSO - a good column from a great site with good columns (Grantland.com) about ways to fix The Walking Dead: http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/38373/how-wed-fix-the-walking-dead

I did watch the first episode of Season 2 before I gave up (when the kid got hilariously shot playing with the deer), but alluding is quite different from saying what it was. And I assume it hasn't been brought up since.

ALSO - a good column from a great site with good columns (Grantland.com) about ways to fix The Walking Dead: http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/38373/how-wed-fix-the-walking-dead
Wow, that is a good article.

Wow, that is a good article.
eh, he makes some good points, but overall its pretentious douchery. i like the condesending comments about how e eryone in the group is a skilled tracker etc and how more realistic characters should be brought in... yeah bud, at this point in the game people with no survival skills have long been zombie chow, or in a group with a shane/rick/ daryl.

eh, he makes some good points, but overall its pretentious douchery. i like the condesending comments about how e eryone in the group is a skilled tracker etc and how more realistic characters should be brought in... yeah bud, at this point in the game people with no survival skills have long been zombie chow, or in a group with a shane/rick/ daryl.
Not to mention that "Everyone in the group" refers to the two police officers and the one hunter.
I agreed with a lot of the points, but disagree with many as well.
This is heady stuff, and well suited to the immediacy of comic books with their ability to jump forward and backward in time and abruptly shift storytelling focus from micro to macro at the touch of a pencil. But television shows are different; they move in only one direction: forward.
I read that "This show is bad because it tries to do something other TV shows haven't tried".

R

Robazoid

Actually, Rick isn't a good tracker (Ep 1 had Darryl pointing out really simple things to a confused Rick). So only Shane and Darryl are trackers, really. That's around three less trackers than Lost happened to have on a single airplane.

Actually, Rick isn't a good tracker (Ep 1 had Darryl pointing out really simple things to a confused Rick). So only Shane and Darryl are trackers, really. That's around three less trackers than Lost happened to have on a single airplane.
The entire point of Lost isn't that people "happened to be" on a plane.

The article I posted didn't say anything about Lost?
So, you didn't read it?
3. Don't Get Lost.

One would think that a series about a zombie-ravaged swath of rural Georgia would offer plenty of room for original characters and situations. And yet the default strategy for The Walking Dead seems to be WWJD: What Would Jack Do? The small cast of the show was already blessed with a worrying number of “trackers” — a skill that is nearly nonexistent in real life but is as prevalent on television as sassy neighbors. This season brought a raft of pointless flashbacks (Did we need to see how Carl found out about his dad getting shot? Or witness Lori and Carol’s meet-non-cute on the highway?), and the disturbingly rapid Sawyerization of Daryl — a shaggy-haired, sleeve-averse loner with a propensity for violence, one-liners, and unexpected bursts of sentimentality. By Sunday night, Shane, Rick, and Hershel were parroting the most aggravating bits of later Lost: all “my people” vs. “your people” and disagreements over survival strategy being played out via portentous, slow-motion shots of near-biblical violence. Surely there must be profound things to say about the nature of civilization and humanity without falling back on the same old good vs. evil backgammon analogies. The Walking Dead, with its willingness to show real horror and visceral extremes, could and should be better. Lost may have been blessed with a stronger cast, but the most dangerous thing lurking in its woods were polar bears — and they never tried to eat anyone.

Its like you didn't even read the article you posted.

Welp, I glossed over that one I guess

I'm guessing you do this with quite a bit of things. As long as some jerk-off with a title says it sucks, Charlie's on board.

The Walking Dead needs to repopulate its survivors with fresh energy and new perspectives: In lieu of rednecks and cops, where are the overmatched suits, or the well-prepared geeks? Wouldn’t at least some of the opulent Buckhead mansions owned by rappers and athletes come zombie-proofed? Something — someone — needs to shake up the show’s increasingly incestuous pity party. Otherwise they’re liable to start killing each other long before the walkers get to them.
LOL! overmatched suits and well-prepared geeks? THEY'RE DEAD! The only people in this world are those that managed to eek out survival. Again, this dude's not getting the point. At this stage of the game, the exaggerated gun-nut survivalists and people with survival training relevant to zombies are the only one's left. The best you can hope for is a Jack-of-all-trades, criminal, construction worker, etc...

LOL! overmatched suits and well-prepared geeks? THEY'RE DEAD! The only people in this world are those that managed to eek out survival. Again, this dude's not getting the point. At this stage of the game, the exaggerated gun-nut survivalists and people with survival training relevant to zombies are the only one's left. The best you can hope for is a Jack-of-all-trades, criminal, construction worker, etc...
It's probably better to say "They haven't met any of them." Honestly, the reason these particular people are still alive is like 90% luck. Some of them got trapped at the end of the car line for the Shelter and saw it get firebombed, while some of them were already out of populated areas when the infection started to spread hard. Herschel and his crew were already living in the country, where the infection was mild to begin with. That is the ONLY reason they are alive. If it was preparedness, the wife beating asshole wouldn't have gotten eatten so early on, as it's clear he had planned for something like this.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that the having skill and preparation only keeps you from starving and getting eaten post outbreak. It really doesn't have that much to do with surviving the actual outbreak, unless your already holed up in your militia camp.

Now we get word of Frank Darabont's idea for this season of The Walking Dead (or the first episode of season 2) and it would have been great. It was to be a stand alone story of a group of soldiers in Atlanta trying to stop the outbreak and would tie in the soldier who Rick encountered in the tank in season 1. Budget would have been through the roof, though. Oh, what could have been.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/01/09/frank-darabont-walking-dead-season-2-plan/

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52526

Budget would have been through the roof, or it would have been what they spent in the first season before the bullshit budget cuts?

I think it's a great idea, but unless there's a good payoff for the present characters, I don't see much of the point. Sure, it sounds like a great, action-packed flashback, but I don't see how it would add to or influence the characters in their current situation. I actually like that the show is, for the most part, flashback free.

Actually Nick, have to disagree on the flashback part, we already had several flashbacks used as episode openers in the series. I think it would be cool to have seen a slice of the fall of Atalanta but I don't know that we'd need a whole episode devoted to it.

On another note, I just recently finished reading the most recent trade paperback for WD and I really can wait to see what other characters show up as the TV show continues, so many good ones with interesting stories.

"For the most part" was the key phrase there. It's not like Lost where half the show is flashbacks. A 2-5 minute flashback is hardly much to sneeze at. From what this describes, it'd be something like a full episode, yes?

http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/2012/01/tca-season-3-episode-announcement.php

AMC announced today from the Television Critics Association (TCA) Press Tour in Pasadena, CA that the third season of The Walking Dead will consist of 16 episodes. Previous season orders were for 13 episodes. AMC's international broadcast partner FOX International Channels (FIC) will follow the 16 episode order and structure a similar schedule worldwide. Season 2 of the critically acclaimed global hit series continues to deliver the strongest telecasts for any drama in basic cable history against Adults 18-49, as well as, top international pay-TV ratings on Fox International Channels' (FIC) major markets. The Walking Dead is based on the comic book series written by Robert Kirkman and published by Image Comics. Glen Mazzara serves as the series' showrunner and executive producer. Kirkman, Gale Anne Hurd, David Alpert and Frank Darabont are executive producers with Greg Nicotero as co-executive producer.
The Walking Dead has received rave reviews from countless critics, both domestic and international, who heralded the series as "above all else, The Walking Dead hasn't lost the most important ingredient in its strangely successful recipe: it's thrilling" (The Hollywood Reporter), "...with Dead's riveting cast of characters, the personal dynamics are almost as potent as the gory thrills" (Us Weekly), "The Walking Dead is a feast. Dig in." (The Guardian, UK), "It doesn't even take three minutes to realize that this series is setting standards" (Der Tagesspiegel, Germany).
The Walking Dead secured a 2010 Golden Globe® nomination for Best Television Series - Drama and won the 2011 Emmy® Award for Outstanding Prosthetic Makeup. The series tells the story of the months and years that follow after a zombie apocalypse. It follows a group of survivors, led by police officer Rick Grimes, who travel in search of a safe and secure home.
The Walking Dead's second season returns with all-new episodes Sun., Feb. 13 at 9/8c on AMC.