The Video Game Kickstarter Thread of the Future of Passing the Risk to the Consumer

I'm still waiting for River City Ransom: Underground and SpaceVenture to release. I have a feeling the latter never will.
River City Ransom: Underground had to deal with a rights issue that was eventually resolved. They put out a new gameplay video a while back.

Oh, I didn't know that's what the issue was with the delay. That's good that it's all sorted. I can't wait to play it.
Basically what happened is that they negotiated a deal with the original rights owners of the series... who then proceeded to sell the rights to another company. So they had to renegotiate with the new rights holders. But it's all worked out now.

Yu Suzuki wants more money to make Shenmue 3.

Can we all just admit that the time period for Kickstarter isn't really long enough for really BIG budget projects? That once you hit a certain point, you basically need to be able to receive additional donations WHENEVER because of unexpected challenges? I know Kenji Inafune got crap for opening slacker backing, but that slacker backing made additional languages AND the DLC possible (and backers get that DLC for FREE). Ice Pick Lodge is in the same boat: they wanted to do so much more with Pathologic than they could raise during the initial donations period so they did their own backer portal, which made expanding some game areas possible.

Here's my idea: Keep the 30-90 day period for Kickstarter projects to make their initial funding... but then allow the creators to keep the funding open if they choose (maybe with a longer time limit... up to year maybe?). This will keep everyone from having to do their own secondary sites to keep the money coming in.

Isn't that what that space sim is doing?
Yes, Star Citizen did it's own thing too. Basically, if you need more than a million dollars to do a project, you should really be able to keep your donation service turned on without having to make your own.

Yes, I saw your post. So fucking what? I can't also link to it?
Indeed; for it is written. those who repost on the same page shall be mocked, and pointed at, and made fun of, unceasingly, until their time is up. Timer is currently set for 0.2 seconds per infraction.

Battletech has topped $1,000,000 in 24 hours. As per usual with HareBrained Schemes games, they've laid out their stretch goals in quite an orderly fashion and the funding seems appropriate for each level (considering the KS funds are on top of a $1M internal budget). It's a pretty safe Kickstarter in that they're not asking for funding to make the game, they're asking for funding to make a better, more complete game. And that's actually a pretty good way of doing things. By hitting the $1M KS donation mark, they're going to include a complete single player campaign mode (otherwise the game would have just been a mech tactical skirmish game). At $2.5M on KS, they add PVP arena multiplayer.

I'm a little bummed the Battlechasers KS didn't do better. The game looks legit and those guys have shipped good games.

Apparently this USED to be Summer Camp before it got an official license... and is probably why Last Year had some some legal issues at launch. Also, Adam Sessler is apparently involved? That would have been a selling point two years ago, but he sort of... abandoned the industry when he couldn't stand his audience anymore (which basically killed Rev3 Games) and then started shilling for the game companies, trading his good name for cash from publishers. I guess this is an improvement but I feel like he needs to build some trust again before I can be excited with his involvement.

- they have topped $1,850,000 KS and unlocked tier 3: procedurally generated mission content and an open ended mercenary campaign. "
The STAGE 3 EXPANDED MERCENARY CAMPAIGN puts you in full control of your life as a Mercenary. The campaign becomes open-ended, allowing you to charter JumpShip transport for your mercenary outfit when needed - travel to various hot-zones across the Periphery and Inner Sphere. You’ll be able to choose your contracts and alliances, with both the Great Houses and other subfactions within the Inner Sphere.

The emblems of the five Great Houses of the Inner Sphere.
Over time, the missions you choose to accept and the objectives competed in those missions will determine your reputation as a mercenary. Your reputation will affect the contracts and contract terms you may be offered in the future. But be wary: each Great House - and in some cases, each House representative - can have their own agendas, sometimes leading you into bad deals or deadly betrayals.

Their negotiations complete, a Davion liaison officer briefs a merc outfit on their mission.
To support this open-ended Mercenary career, STAGE 3 adds a wide variety of “side-contracts” in addition to the story campaign, as well as a procedural contract-generation system to ensure that you always have fresh contracts available, wherever your Mercenary career may take you.
>>> STAGE 3+ ADDITIONAL FUNDING GOALS

• $2,000,000 - Customizable Home Base: As part of the ongoing campaign, you'll acquire a home base (likely in the form of a derelict DropShip) for your mercenary outfit to call home. At this funding level we'll also allow you to adjust its appearance, repair and upgrade its functionality, and grow and evolve your base as your outfit grows and evolves.
  • $2,150,000 - Legendary 'Mech & MechWarriors: In addition to the game's standard 'Mechs and customizable, procedurally-generated MechWarriors, we'll include rare legendary 'Mechs to find, and rare hero MechWarriors to hire - including some famous characters from BattleTech history. Such legends may not stick around for long, but will be well worth hiring if you can afford them."

Apparently this USED to be Summer Camp before it got an official license... and is probably why Last Year had some some legal issues at launch. Also, Adam Sessler is apparently involved? That would have been a selling point two years ago, but he sort of... abandoned the industry when he couldn't stand his audience anymore (which basically killed Rev3 Games) and then started shilling for the game companies, trading his good name for cash from publishers. I guess this is an improvement but I feel like he needs to build some trust again before I can be excited with his involvement.
Everyone who worked for Rev3 have said it was sinking ship before Sessler left. Being a money pit is what killed Rev3 games. He didn't abandon the industry, he just left the spotlight to do consulting, which is what a lot of folk have done (Jeff Green, N'Gai Kroal).

Battletech has topped $2 million in Kickstarter, unlocking a customizable home base (probably a dropship) for your mercenary mechwarrior. Possibilities for it they're discussing include:

It Might Be Humble - But It's Home

The Order of Valhalla rallied our forces to make a Customizable Home Base a reality. As we discussed before, our current idea is that you're refitting a derelict ship one module at a time, expanding its functionality based on the needs of your mercenary outfit as you go. (We know many of you are interested to know what sort of ship to expect and we are exploring the possibilities. That will be a topic for a future Kickstarter update some time during production.)
Just like construction in the real world, refitting will take money, time, and judgment as you figure out how you want to allocate the space available for the modules you want to add.
We are just starting to work out the different types of modules, but here are some that we think will be available:
  • ’Mech Bays are the heart and soul of your operation. We see having two types of 'Mech Bays - repair bays and refit bays. One Repair Bay is required for each ‘Mech in your outfit’s inventory where your MechTechs can perform repairs to the internal structure, components, weapons, and armor of the resident ‘Mech. Refit Bays are required for the much more intensive work needed to change a 'Mech’s weapon systems and/or internal components.
  • Space can be dedicated to 'Mech Simulators instead of housing more real 'Mechs or vehicles. During travel, and/or instead of being deployed to the battlefield, MechWarriors can be assigned to the training bay in order to improve specific skills.
  • Adding a MechTech Fabrication Bay will increase your technical teams’ ability to jury-rig, repair, and even improve your 'Mechs.
  • A Sick Bay will treat MechWarriors’ minor wounds, but a Ship’s Hospital will be required to stitch a seriously wounded MechWarrior back together and then convalesce enough to return to battle ready condition.
  • Among others!
We want the design and construction of your home base to be fun, to provide interesting choices, and ultimately to provide long-term benefits to your mercenary outfit.
The next target of opportunity on our march to Stage 4: PVP Multiplayer is…
  • $2,150,000 - Legendary 'Mech & MechWarriors: In addition to the game's standard 'Mechs and customizable, procedurally-generated MechWarriors, we'll include rare legendary 'Mechs to find, and rare hero MechWarriors to hire - including some famous characters from BattleTech history. Such legends may not stick around for long, but will be well worth hiring if you can afford them.

Don Bluth (of An American Tail, Anastasia, Secret of NIMH, and many others) wants to do a Dragon's Lair movie. You might remember Dragon's Lair as being a Quick-time-event game from the late 80's/early 90's featuring Dirk the Daring as he tried to rescue his princess. Had some sequels.

Don Bluth (of An American Tail, Anastasia, Secret of NIMH, and many others) wants to do a Dragon's Lair movie. You might remember Dragon's Lair as being a Quick-time-event game from the late 80's/early 90's featuring Dirk the Daring as he tried to rescue his princess. Had some sequels.
Is one of the stretch goals going to be getting '80s-era Don Bluth back?