The Video Game Kickstarter Thread of the Future of Passing the Risk to the Consumer

Sega's allowing another Sonic Boom game to be made, which is definitely not a step in the right direction. Granted it's from the same people that made the first 3DS game, which was only kind of terrible, but still.
Though the games are awful, the show is popular, so I'm guessing Sega thinks the game will sell well based on the show. They might be right.

Man, I feel like Comcept is starting to stretch shit thin, but I REALLY want a spiritual successor to Mega Man Legends. Sigh, this one isn't doing so healthy.

I still chucked in for a digital copy. Barely looks like it'll make it's lowest end budget.

EH, it's only 25 bucks.

Man, I feel like Comcept is starting to stretch shit thin, but I REALLY want a spiritual successor to Mega Man Legends. Sigh, this one isn't doing so healthy.
It's gotten 300k in 5 days, which isn't terrible. The only reason I'm not onboard with this is because I haven't even gotten Mighty No. 9 yet. If he had done this a few months later, after Mighty No. 9 got a bunch of great reviews and sold thousands of copies, he'd have TONS more push on this. Instead, it's going to get barely enough to get the prototype done and then we're gonna get hit with MORE crowd funding to get the rest of it.

I'm not blaming Kenji Inafune for this... this is the only way he's going to get to make the projects he wants. But he'd be more successful if he'd show a lick of god damn sense.

I share your trepidation here. We don't even know if Mighty No. 9 is going to be good, we don't know if it's going to work out. The game could be "meh," the show could bomb, the movie is likely to be terrible anyway. The existence of a media network does not guarantee success, and that might even make Capcom do another turn-around and give up on Mega Man yet again.

On the flip side, I suppose to them, Mighty No. 9 is done and they can put resources toward something else, even though for us Mighty No. 9 won't be real for another two months.

Also, Red Ash is noting but concept art right now. This should've waited. Maybe a couple years ago that would've been okay, but after all the shit that's gone on with some Kickstarter projects, I feel they need to show they're ready to move forward on this properly before asking for money. People can only have so much faith.

I share your trepidation here. We don't even know if Mighty No. 9 is going to be good, we don't know if it's going to work out. The game could be "meh," the show could bomb, the movie is likely to be terrible anyway. The existence of a media network does not guarantee success, and that might even make Capcom do another turn-around and give up on Mega Man yet again.

On the flip side, I suppose to them, Mighty No. 9 is done and they can put resources toward something else, even though for us Mighty No. 9 won't be real for another two months.

Also, Red Ash is noting but concept art right now. This should've waited. Maybe a couple years ago that would've been okay, but after all the shit that's gone on with some Kickstarter projects, I feel they need to show they're ready to move forward on this properly before asking for money. People can only have so much faith.
It's not even that I don't have faith in Kenji Inafune to make a good game. He's done nothing but make good games for almost 30 years and this is in a genre he invented. But this was too soon. He is pushing so hard and asking for so much, so quickly, that I can't help but wonder how he is planning to do all of this at the same time. Worse, I feel like this is something he should have been financing with the profits from Mighty No. 9 when it hits release.

It's not even that I don't have faith in Kenji Inafune to make a good game. He's done nothing but make good games for almost 30 years and this is in a genre he invented. But this was too soon. He is pushing so hard and asking for so much, so quickly, that I can't help but wonder how he is planning to do all of this at the same time. Worse, I feel like this is something he should have been financing with the profits from Mighty No. 9 when it hits release.
People give Inafune way too much credit. Dude was a character designer and pixel artist for the NES games, he didn't create the genre. Also the first character he actually created on his own was Zero, Mega Man/Rock's initial design was already formed before he joined the MM1 team.

People give Inafune way too much credit. Dude was a character designer and pixel artist for the NES games, he didn't create the genre. Also the first character he actually created on his own was Zero, Mega Man/Rock's initial design was already formed before he joined the MM1 team.
Capcom is the one who hyped him as "the creator of Mega Man" for years, as well as pushed him into the lime light, time and time again. This talk of "oh no, he was just a character designer and pixel artist" didn't start until he left the company, long after he was considered the primary source of the story and lore of the Mega Man universe.

Capcom is the one who hyped him as "the creator of Mega Man" for years, as well as pushed him into the lime light, time and time again. This talk of "oh no, he was just a character designer and pixel artist" didn't start until he left the company, long after he was considered the primary source of the story and lore of the Mega Man universe.
He was likely pushed to that position because he was a constant presence on nearly every MM game up until he left the company. I'm not denying he's a major part of the franchise, but he didn't invent the genre, that's for sure. If anything that credit should go to Akira Kitamura, the director of the first two MM games that laid the groundwork for the ones to follow.[DOUBLEPOST=1436474524,1436474269][/DOUBLEPOST]
He's also produced literally dozens of great games during his time at Capcom. He makes great games.
This, though, you're not wrong. Onimusha, Minish Cap, and I think he had a hand in most of the Resident Evil games after the first one?

This, though, you're not wrong. Onimusha, Minish Cap, and I think he had a hand in most of the Resident Evil games after the first one?
He helped with production, but Resident Evil has always been Shinji Mikami's baby. You're thinking of Dead Rising, which was another Inafune creation... and ironically, it was his experience with working with Blue Castle Games (now Capcom Vancouver) on Dead Rising 2 that made him quit Capcom. He simply had so much more freedom and got so much more done with them than back in Japan that it basically made him realize the Japanese game scene was dying due to management issues. He started saying as much publicly and that's about the time he left.

He helped with production, but Resident Evil has always been Shinji Mikami's baby. You're thinking of Dead Rising, which was another Inafune creation... and ironically, it was his experience with working with Blue Castle Games (now Capcom Vancouver) on Dead Rising 2 that made him quit Capcom. He simply had so much more freedom and got so much more done with them than back in Japan that it basically made him realize the Japanese game scene was dying due to management issues. He started saying as much publicly and that's about the time he left.
Can't say I'm surprised, really. Everything I see and hear about work conditions in Japan in general makes me wonder why anyone would want to work in that country (and explains why so many people become shut-ins).

Can't say I'm surprised, really. Everything I see and hear about work conditions in Japan in general makes me wonder why anyone would want to work in that country (and explains why so many people become shut-ins).
It's actually getting better. Many of the Japanese millennials and the creative minded old guard are refusing to put up with it, essentially because they don't get the "guaranteed advancement and a job for life" that their parents and grand parents got. This is causing a lot of them to strike out on their own, leaving a lot of the old guard Japanese companies to struggle and die. You see, these companies depended on young blood to risk their positions by suggesting innovative ideas. The older guys won't do it because they can lose everything to the slightest screw-up. This is hitting Sony especially hard, which is in pretty dire straights at the moment.

At any rate, the business world of Japan is starting to look more like the American one, for better or worse.

http://www.pcgamer.com/kickstarter-gaming-biggest-successes-and-failures/

This is a pretty good article about Kickstarter's biggest successes and failures. I fully agree with all its choices, even Broken Age. Yes, it took too long to make and yes there were some missteps, but they did deliver on BOTH promises: the game and the documentary series. The documentary was especially great to watch because you saw them struggle to make those tough decisions throughout development. Many people seem to forget that portion of their original Kickstarter, which I don't think any other developer or Kickstarter promised.

Not as far as I know, I'm just saying that people shouldn't pay money for any project he's been part of.
Eh, I don't know. The man himself is still a great designer and developer. He's just fallen into the corporate structures and I think his auteurism has been lost in the shuffle.

Eh, I don't know. The man himself is still a great designer and developer. He's just fallen into the corporate structures and I think his auteurism has been lost in the shuffle.
yeah, I had to reconsider what I said. Spore was kind of stupid, despite the creature maker, but his other games have largely been pretty good.

yeah, I had to reconsider what I said. Spore was kind of stupid, despite the creature maker, but his other games have largely been pretty good.
I think Spore suffered from a bad case of Molyneuxitis: promising something too big that you can't deliver on it.

Having never gone near a kickstarter before, this might be the one:

The 13th Doll

Unofficial sequel to The 7th Guest and The 11th Hour, they've been working on this for years. Most interesting to me: current backers include Trilobyte Games, makers of the original games.

So RED ASH (Inafune's spiritual successor to Mega Man Legends) now has a publisher in FUZE, a Chinese hardware maker. What does this mean? It means that we're getting the first 8 hour chapter of RED ASH no matter what... but it also means that all of the funding they've gotten so far is going to stretch goals (that they won't list yet) for what they are making. Inafune gets to keep all the rights, but it's likely FUZE will get a version of RED ASH for whatever they actually develop.

What does this really mean? It means that Inafune was talking a fucking publisher before this all started and the KS was just to show interest. Fuck that noise.

EDIT: At least we got a full level of Mighty No. 9 to look at. I think it looks pretty decent.

Yep... Mighty No. 9 is getting delayed until Q1 2016. The delay will be announced at GamesCom but the backers got the word first... the stated reason is because they are having trouble getting the multiplayer working correctly. Considering that it has a head-to-head race mode AND a co-op mode, this doesn't sound surprising... I doubt their current team has much experience with netcode or anything like that.

Regardless, rumors were true. We're not getting it until 2016 at the earliest unless they can fix it sooner.

Looks like Comcept is going to be releasing a Trial version of Mighty No. 9 to the backers on Sept. 15 in order to give them something to chew on during the delay. It has...

- Four Complete stages (Opening, No.1, No. 3 and No. 5). All stages have their correct cutscenes and voice acting.
- Six challenge maps
- All language and voice acting options

All backers are also receiving free codes for Mighty Gunvolt to celebrate the Steam release of Azure Strike Gunvolt. All of this doesn't make up for the delay, but it's a nice gesture regardless and one Comcept needs right now.

Ahh shit, it looks fucking great so far. Made up of Joe Mad and devs from the defunct Vigil (Darksiders) studio. They have a lot of experience and I have such a soft spot for Joe Mad's art.

Ahh shit, it looks fucking great so far. Made up of Joe Mad and devs from the defunct Vigil (Darksiders) studio. They have a lot of experience and I have such a soft spot for Joe Mad's art.
Wow, that really does look great. I've grown to appreciate Joe Madureira's art style. I wasn't crazy about it when I was younger, but looking back, it was pretty spectacular. My biggest issue with him back then was the ridiculous time it took him to get a new issue out, which is largely why I never got Battle Chasers. Though wow, does his art ever suit video games.

This game, though? This game looks pretty phenomenal. I may pledge support for it.

As a computer programmer, this looks so interesting to me:

They were 6% done when I first started watching the video, and hit 9% right as I was finished. I have a feeling this will easily make its goals
It's been a long year. Sept 18th is supposed to be the drop date.

So glad that 100% of the projects I've ever kickstarted have actually completed and finished, so far.