[News] The USA Police State will never satisfy its lust for beating, gassing, and imprisoning minorities

I'm not even saying Charlie needs to shut up. He's allowed his opinions, even if I disagree with them. But like everything else with free speech, you are responsible for the content of your actions. So while he doesn't need to shut up, he does need to apologize.
That's kind of the problem though. Espy's saying Charlie needs to take it from 11 to 5-7; I think the reason Charlie does shut up (so, zero) is because it's either 0 or 11 with him. He's been the bad face of good things frequently in the past.

But as I said in Gas's sticky thread, he was right about the militarization of police. Still shouldn't be attacking O_C over it, but if he wants to go "I told you so", I don't have a leg to stand on to tell him to stop. I made fun of him too.

I'm certainly not going to defend the actions of Officer Wilson, but I also won't assume he's in the wrong, either. We don't know all the details of what transpired. Sadly, things like this happen all the time with police officers, who need to make these quick decisions and sometimes, they make the wrong one which costs someone their life. Whatever transpired is up to the courts or Internal Affairs or wherever it should have lead.

What I WILL renounce is all of the FPD's actions ever since the shooting. If they had been open about the investigation in the first place - much like someone else mentioned that New York does on a regular basis - AND let the protesters peacefully protest as they had begun, then none of this would have happen. But day after day, night after night, the FPD has only allowed things to worsen with extraordinarily over the top and unnecessary means. The sound cannon, the tear gas, the rubber bullets, the National Guard. None of it was necessary at all. The only reason the National Guard was called in is because they let it escalate to this point and the protesters are now overshadowed by outsiders.

Now? Honestly, it's going to take a miracle for any kind of normalcy to return to Ferguson.

Additionally, I agree with @Dave. Charlie should apologize because that was completely out of line. Par for the course for Charlie, though. As I said in the past, he's not even a person. He's just a caricature of a person who gets off on riling up people on the board.

I'm certainly not going to defend the actions of Officer Wilson, but I also won't assume he's in the wrong, either. We don't know all the details of what transpired. Sadly, things like this happen all the time with police officers, who need to make these quick decisions and sometimes, they make the wrong one which costs someone their life.

What I WILL renounce is all of the FPD's actions ever since the shooting. If they had been open about the investigation in the first place - much like someone else mentioned that New York does on a regular basis - AND let the protesters peacefully protest as they had begun, then none of this would have happen. But day after day, night after night, the FPD has only allowed things to worsen with extraordinarily over the top and unnecessary means. The sound cannon, the tear gas, the rubber bullets, the National Guard. None of it was necessary at all. The only reason the National Guard was called in is because they let it escalate to this point and the protesters are now overshadowed by outsiders.

Now? Honestly, it's going to take a miracle for any kind of normalcy to return to Ferguson.
Well, there were looters shortly after the vigil, but two mistakes Ferguson PD made at the start:
1. They took a "let God sort 'em out" approach, failing to differentiate between a rioter/looter breaking into a store, a peaceful protester standing outside a church, any pedestrian with a phone-camera, or a reporter. Each of these are different people, but the Ferguson PD treated them all the same.
2. They came at a scale 4 situation with a scale 9 response, because they could, because they were given the toys to do so.

Things were going peacefully last night, and then someone threw a water bottle at the police and they EXPLODED. The person hid in the media area, so the police had to go through there, for some reason still macing a reporter in the process. I'm not sure why they had to encircle the protesters though--maybe they didn't know this person went into the media area at first.

I'm gonna hazard a guess he wasn't from Ferguson.

GasBandit

Staff member
Care to point out anything in that article that's not correct? Or point out any official reports that Wilson was injured. Not someone saying 'officials reported' but actual officials reporting.
I already said Gateway Pundit wasn't identifying his sources, and that it called into question the nature or even existence of the officer's injuries. But Little Green Footballs has just as big a political axe to grind, if not bigger. Right now a healthy dose of skepticism for just about all blog posts, tweets and even actual "reporting" coming out of Ferguson is probably the best armor until the roaring dies down and things that are verifiable/corroborated with sources (and clear, smooth youtube videos) begin to manifest.

GasBandit

Staff member
St. Louis County Prosecutor Robert McCulloch says it could be the middle of October before his office has presented all of the evidence in the Michael Brown killing to the grand jury - @stltoday

St. Louis County Prosecutor Robert McCulloch says it could be the middle of October before his office has presented all of the evidence in the Michael Brown killing to the grand jury - @stltoday
:facepalm:
I'm not saying they should rush this, but ... two months to do anything? I don't think a grand jury is required to press charges, correct?

GasBandit

Staff member
:facepalm:
I'm not saying they should rush this, but ... two months to do anything? I don't think a grand jury is required to press charges, correct?
Grand Juries are for indictments in cases where they need to figure out if a crime has in fact been committed.... so kinda yeah.

fade

Staff member
I would wager that many people with at least average intelligence would acknowledge that a police officer is in mortal danger and the fear stemming from it on a daily basis. But, and here's the big but, how much of that fear is tied to inherent racism in our society, infecting that officer? No doubt it's terrifying to be alone in the dark in front of someone holding something unknown in front of you. No argument whatsoever. But the question a lot of people have is how much of that fear is engendered--like it or not--by the simple fact that the man holding the object is black? How much more likely are we to weight the potential for violence from the man in front of us because the man is black? Probably more than we like to admit.

I don't like it when people put this all on the police, as if they're some separate zombie force. They're the product of our society, too, and if there is an issue of racism in police action, it's the symptom of a society that still pushes this kind of thought.

Me personally, I find scary looking white people far more frightening that scary looking black people, but that's only because scary looking black people are historically less likely to torture and\or eat me.

"I will fucking kill you." Wow.

Me personally, I find scary looking white people far more frightening that scary looking black people, but that's only because scary looking black people are historically less likely to torture and\or eat me.
A through-marriage relative I know in Florida said, "I was mugged by a black guy a couple years ago, so no way I'd vote for one." And this was perfectly logical to him, and unfortunately to his now-adult son. I don't think people consider history, more just whatever they're taught, be it hatred or acceptance. I may have said this before, but for all I know I'm only not a racist because my mom never judges anyone for anything, and though I can't claim to be that passive, I did learn by example.[DOUBLEPOST=1408558274,1408557904][/DOUBLEPOST]Then there's this point:

Which some will disagree, but I think is a good point.

Zero, as much as that's true, and bad, there's also a whole LOT of people who only voted for Obama because he's black. It's a different sort of racism. Or sexism, for those who their primary reason is because somebody is a certain gender. If you vote FOR somebody because they are NOT white or a man, that's lauded. But voting FOR them for those reasons is pilloried. I'd rather have it where it's a neutral factor entirely, and assaulted from ALL sides if anybody votes FOR any of those reasons, for or against, but that's unlikely to happen any time soon. It's the reality that only white men can be sexist and racist in "polite society" these days. Nobody else is those things "really".

Or is it?

Zero, as much as that's true, and bad, there's also a whole LOT of people who only voted for Obama because he's black. It's a different sort of racism. Or sexism, for those who their primary reason is because somebody is a certain gender. If you vote FOR somebody because they are NOT white or a man, that's lauded. But voting FOR them for those reasons is pilloried. I'd rather have it where it's a neutral factor entirely, and assaulted from ALL sides if anybody votes FOR any of those reasons, for or against, but that's unlikely to happen any time soon. It's the reality that only white men can be sexist and racist in "polite society" these days. Nobody else is those things "really".

Or is it?
oh my god, fuck off

this thread about an unarmed black man getting killed by the cops, and then an entire mostly-black community getting terrorized by tear gas, LRADs, assault rifles pointed, strobe lights into cameras, etc etc etc. In this thread, you want to complain that black people have the privilege to not get called racists?

fade

Staff member
I'm okay with people voting for someone on the basis of the thing that's being underrepresented and underaddressed. That is, after all, the point of an election. In this case, the mere fact that someone is black is the cause of lots of trouble, so it makes sense to vote for someone on account that he or she can properly represent you, in this case by being black. Being white is not the cause of lots of trouble, nor do I feel like none of the elected officials can represent me properly on the basis of being white. That's really the very thing that makes it not racist. They're not voting against white people, they're voting for a representative black person.

Dave

Staff member
this thread about an unarmed black man getting killed by the cops, and then an entire mostly-black community getting terrorized by tear gas, LRADs, assault rifles pointed, strobe lights into cameras, etc etc etc. In this thread, you want to complain that black people have the privilege to not get called racists?
I'm missing an apology somewhere.

I'm finding Charlie's most recent posts in this thread more provocative than illuminating.

Charlie, I don't in any way mean to suggest that you don't have cause to be angry about this situation (I assume you do), but I think you are letting your emotions overrule your judgement. Personally, it doesn't matter to me whether or not you apologize, but you need to consider whether metaphorically starting fires in wastebaskets on an Internet forum that is in no way directly connected to the incident is really an effective/appropriate way to protest this incident.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Well, his assertion that black guys can't be racist is just patently naive. People from every race can be racist. Hell, people of the SAME race find things to hate about each other based on ludicrously stupid reasons. Women can be sexist, too. Does either of these things make it better when they are discriminated against? Hell no. But to give carte blanche to one group's actions is just dumb. I will agree that it could be put in as a red herring based on the topic, so that could be his angle.

But I'm still not seeing an apology to O_C from him yet.

fade

Staff member
I still don't get painting everyone from the same group with the same brush as a valid attack on ... painting everyone from the same group with the same brush.