[Movies] The Upcoming Movies Trailer Thread

GasBandit

Staff member
I literally know nothing else about this other than the video thumbnail still, but I assume you mean that something wicked goes down in the city, and Batman finds the turtles skulking around in their encounter cloaks and assumes they are the cause. Some fights ensue, but eventually Master Splinter and Batman hash it out and bury the nata once they are each satisfied with the other’s intentions. The wickedness is found to be the result of (probably) Joker and Shredder teaming up for some underworld shenanigans and the heroes all go to confront them at the old abandoned warehouse/amusement park/wharf/railyard and a spectacular fight ensues, during which the entire facility is destroyed. Everyone goes home, but Batman warns the Turtles that he’ll be keeping an eye on them.
Other scenes: Multiple Turtles attack Batman unsuccessfully, prompting one of them to say, “How hard can this be?! He’s just one guy!” Splinter tells the Turtles, “You could learn something from him.” Batman and Splinter trade Yoda-isms after their time in the East and get all mystical, prompting a “Whoa...”

—Patrick
Well, you're not far off from the contents of the video.

Well, you're not far off from the contents of the video.
I maintain that I have not watched the video, nor looked up anything else about it.

Also there will probably be a scene where the Turtles order pizza and Batgirl and Batrobin join in the feast saying, “See, Batman? They’re not so bad. OMNOMNOM” To which Batman replies “<Scowls in Batman>.”

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I maintain that I have not watched the video, nor looked up anything else about it.

Also there will probably be a scene where the Turtles order pizza and Batgirl and Batrobin join in the feast saying, “See, Batman? They’re not so bad. OMNOMNOM” To which Batman replies “<Scowls in Batman>.”

—Patrick
And then robin's face will pale, his smile fade, as he realizes he just took a bite of asparagus and sardine pizza with extra peanut butter.

figmentPez

Staff member
The wickedness is found to be the result of (probably) Joker and Shredder teaming up
The trailer makes it look like Ras Al'Ghul and The Shredder, which leads me to wonder if they're going to make some sort of connection between Lazarus pits and the ooze.

I still don't like the character design, but the animation looks pretty good. The story looks pretty damn stock for crossovers, though.

Judging by the trailer, they seem to be lifting a lot from the first comic book crossover (there's been four of them!).

Stock or not, it's mind-blowing this is happening at all.

Wanted to post this. I'm not really sure what to say. This movie looks like a huge depature of his usual stuff while at the same time feels like a Tarantino wet dream.

Dave

Staff member
Got to be better than The Hateful 8. Man that movie was so bad. I mean, it would have been okay but the unnecessary narration just ruined it for me.

But is it a comedy or a drama? It's Tarantino so people will be shot (probably) but than there is that scene with Bruce Lee (?) that feels like comedy.

Recent information about Tarantino have made me luke warm to his stuff. And considering this is getting into the Manson murders, particularly poor Sharon Tate, I'm sure he'll treat it with the class and dignity he always does. :pud:

I love/d Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill, but I'm still pissed off what he did to Uma.

Listen, I love the first two. Yes, even that sequel. Fucking love 'em.

But... wow. I don't have a good feeling about this. Most heinous.
Ehh... I can see it working.

Bill and Ted circa 2019: The future promised by Rufus never came to pass. Someone from a parallel timeline where that future DID occur travels to the past to find out what happened when their future starts to break and finds a middle aged Bill and Ted who gave up music after their "big break" only turned them into one hit wonders, and who now hate each other because of their failed dreams. Not-Rufus is thus forced to find out what caused the break-up and reunite the two so they can make the music that made the future possible. The events of "Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey" is just an exaggerated legend, with a bit of truth to it.

Give it the Cobra Kai treatment (sincere, but self aware and not afraid to mock it's 80's origins) and it could work. At the very least it's got Keanu smiling and we all know how all he does is look sad on benches otherwise!

Recent information about Tarantino have made me luke warm to his stuff. And considering this is getting into the Manson murders, particularly poor Sharon Tate, I'm sure he'll treat it with the class and dignity he always does. :pud:

I love/d Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill, but I'm still pissed off what he did to Uma.
Same. It's especially bad with Kill Bill because I used to find those movies empowering and now I'm not sure I'll ever have the stomach to watch them again knowing what he put her through behind the scenes, all to court favor with shitcan rapist Weinstein.

I will probably never see this movie.
But I SO hope that there's a scene with Carmen Sandiego somewhere in the background.

--Patrick

People are apparently excited for this now? Why? Seriously, why?

Aside from typical grimdark fair, it's deviating from the typical formula with a very strong lead actor. Even as a standalone story, it has a lot of potential because, frankly, Phoenix is crazy as shit already. Watching the trailer, I think if we stripped out the Batman mythos it would probably feel more like a Netflix movie than anything else, but gotta capitalize on the superheroes, man.

Dave

Staff member
Part of the mythos of the Joker is NOT knowing his backstory. We were given a glimpse in "Killing Joke" (I think) but other than that he just kind of came out of nowhere to be the guy he is. Personally not sure shining a light on that is a good thing.

Part of the mythos of the Joker is NOT knowing his backstory. We were given a glimpse in "Killing Joke" (I think) but other than that he just kind of came out of nowhere to be the guy he is. Personally not sure shining a light on that is a good thing.
For all we know, the movie could start with a voiceover "This is how I remember it, but I'm crazy so, should you believe me? HA HA HA HA" and suddenly all of these internet nerd complaints about seeing his backstory are nullified. I don't think they'll do that, but certainly Ledger's joker demonstrated precedent.

{Added}

I'm also of the opinion that considering Batman's rogue gallery is essentially an allegory for mental illness across the board, there's no reason not to do small-market films for each character in a similar vein. Two-Faces MPD, Riddler's OCD, Catwoman's kleptomania, Scarecrow's phobias, Harley Quinn's Stockholm, Batman's....uh...everything.