[Movies] The Upcoming Movies Trailer Thread

You know, I'm like others who are tired of "dark, edgy takes on Superman," but...I don't know, this one's doing it for me. Seems less "evil Superman" and more "Exorcist by way of Superman" since the kid seems possessed, maybe.

I also love that it straight up opens with the exact same vibe and almost exact same kind of shots as Man of Steel's earlier trailers. I get the feeling this movie will be, in some ways, a criticism on Man of Steel's overall grimness.

And I'm in.

You know, I'm like others who are tired of "dark, edgy takes on Superman," but...I don't know, this one's doing it for me. Seems less "evil Superman" and more "Exorcist by way of Superman" since the kid seems possessed, maybe.

I also love that it straight up opens with the exact same vibe and almost exact same kind of shots as Man of Steel's earlier trailers. I get the feeling this movie will be, in some ways, a criticism on Man of Steel's overall grimness.

And I'm in.
I think it helps that the character going dark isn't actually Superman. Doing that these days is sort of too on the nose of a critique to work; doing it all original and ONLY changing the character's actions instead of a massive change like Superman: Red Son or something really grounds this.

Cajungal

Staff member
My reaction to this is the same reaction to Beauty and the Beast. What is this for? I think that The Jungle Book changed enough to be interesting, but a lot of this just looks shot for shot. So, why? The cast still has me slightly interested, though.

GasBandit

Staff member
My reaction to this is the same reaction to Beauty and the Beast. What is this for? I think that The Jungle Book changed enough to be interesting, but a lot of this just looks shot for shot. So, why? The cast still has me slightly interested, though.
Because the original came out 25 years ago, and some people are prejudiced against movies older than they are :p

Because the original came out 25 years ago, and some people are prejudiced against movies older than they are :p
I think it has more to do with the home video market. Once people could buy the movies, Disney couldn't make the $$ rereleasing them in theaters like they used to. So what do you do with a bunch of properties you already own? Make a new version of the same movie.

GasBandit

Staff member
I think it has more to do with the home video market. Once people could buy the movies, Disney couldn't make the $$ rereleasing them in theaters like they used to. So what do you do with a bunch of properties you already own? Make a new version of the same movie.

This looks awesome!

A few thoughts:

1. I didn't recognize Zhang Ziyi at first with short hair.
2. This does, indeed, look like all kinds of awesome.
3. I wonder if they're holding back one (or more) kaiju from the previews. So far we've seen Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah. Wouldn't it be amazing if there were actually more kaiju in the film, they just didn't want to spoil their appearances? Like Gamera, or hell maybe even King Kong.

A few thoughts:

1. I didn't recognize Zhang Ziyi at first with short hair.
2. This does, indeed, look like all kinds of awesome.
3. I wonder if they're holding back one (or more) kaiju from the previews. So far we've seen Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah. Wouldn't it be amazing if there were actually more kaiju in the film, they just didn't want to spoil their appearances? Like Gamera, or hell maybe even King Kong.
Calling it now.... Kong will be a post credit cameo to set up the next movie.... which we know is Godzilla vs Kong.

There’s also the possibility that it’s done to keep the IP fresh and de facto extend their claim to copyright, especially if the new version is shot-for-shot.

—Patrick

And I'm in.
Mark Millar has nothing to do with it and James Gunn does, so I'm in!

Also, adding the following from Alice (4 y.o.) for your enjoyment.

Alice [watching intently, curiously]:.....WAIT A MINUTE! THAT'S THE DUDE ON DADDYS SHELF! KING BADORA! THE FANCY PANTS!

"We were just as good as Lego growing up, right?
. . . riiiight? . . ."
Coming up next...movies about GoBots, Snorks, Flintstone Kids, Street Sharks, Biker Mice from Mars, and of course that hotly-anticipated Knight Rider 2000 movie.

—Patrick

Last edited: