[Movies] The Upcoming Movies Trailer Thread

I agree. I also think the Matrix, on its own, is a really good movie.
In both cases, the plotholes and internal inconsistencies weren't introduced until the second movie. So either you can see the first one on its own - and then I tend to agree with you - or you look at the franchise, and the whole thing falls apart in a billion little pieces.

GasBandit

Staff member
Storm the humans and look for their time machine. Go back a year or so and wage an all-out assault on that area. No need to go back in time to the 1980's.
According to the comic I read, the humans captured and used skynet's time machine right after the T101 was sent back. Then, when time looped back around again, Skynet knew its first attempt failed, so instead it sent a T1000 back later. Which is where a paradox kinda happens and I lose track after that.

Dave

Staff member
According to the comic I read, the humans captured and used skynet's time machine right after the T101 was sent back. Then, when time looped back around again, Skynet knew its first attempt failed, so instead it sent a T1000 back later. Which is where a paradox kinda happens and I lose track after that.
So the humans didn't have their own time machine? So the robots send someone back in time to when they were building it and say, "00101000101101001110111101000001100001" or "Hey, don't build that. It lets the humans win."

GasBandit

Staff member
So the humans didn't have their own time machine? So the robots send someone back in time to when they were building it and say, "00101000101101001110111101000001100001" or "Hey, don't build that. It lets the humans win."
But if skynet doesn't build it, it can't send anyone back in time to save itself, and John Conner wins by default.

Dave

Staff member
But if skynet doesn't build it, it can't send anyone back in time to save itself, and John Conner wins by default.
The only reason that they send someone back is to kill Sarah Conners. If they don't do that then John is never born and they win by default. I don't believe that Skynet would ever lose to a human army. Computers just think and change and learn too fast. If AI ever really gained self-awareness, it would kill our race easily.

Also, nitpick: the first movie had a closed loop (or about). Fine. Once there was a sequel, that was off the table and Skynet should've been able to do pretty much any other thing we've mentioned.
The sequel left it open-ended for a reason... the time loop might still be intact.

And it's premise was that Skynet managed to send 2 robots, a classic one, and the latest experimental one... that didn't change the time frame it had by more then a few minutes.

It's the 3rd one that went too far imo, by showing another, hybrid model, breaking the conceit that the T-1000 was the last Terminator Skynet made, and he just happened to coincide with finishing the time travel device.

Computers just think and change and learn too fast.
Sure, until a human finds an exploit and then, without any humans to fix the exploit, we win...

The only reason that they send someone back is to kill Sarah Conner
Ah, but that's because Skynet has no idea that he owes his existence to the remains of the Arnienator that got crushed in T1...[DOUBLEPOST=1423776094,1423775884][/DOUBLEPOST]
Ehh... they had no idea that Kyle Reese was John's father, and when Skynet built the machine it was already losing...[DOUBLEPOST=1423776280][/DOUBLEPOST]
Pretty sure i recall Kyle explaining that they captured Skynet's last facility and found the time machine there, and it had just been used.

Of course by the end we figure out that John knew all about it, and who his father was (which is why he gave him the picture way back in the future).

GasBandit

Staff member
The only reason that they send someone back is to kill Sarah Conners. If they don't do that then John is never born and they win by default. I don't believe that Skynet would ever lose to a human army. Computers just think and change and learn too fast. If AI ever really gained self-awareness, it would kill our race easily.
You've got the events out of order. It goes -

Timeline 1 -
Skynet created by humans, becomes self aware, sets off Judgement Day
Human survivors wage war against the machines
Under the leadership of John Connor, humans begin to win. Machines can't adapt/manufacture well enough
As a final hail mary, Skynet manages to create time travel device, sends back a T101 to kill Sarah Connor
Humans take time travel facility, send back Kyle Reese to protect Sarah Connor

Loop 1 -
T101 and Kyle Reese arrive in 1984. T101 is mostly destroyed, Kyle Reese is killed but has already impregnated Sarah Connor
Sarah Connor, now "knowing the future," drops off the grid to teach her son to be a great war leader
Cyberdyne Systems comes into posession of remains of destroyed T-101, makes huge technological advancements based upon them
Sarah Connor decides to change the future, attacks Cyberdyne systems herself, fails, is arrested and put in mental institution
John Connor sent to live with foster parents.
Cyberdyne Systems creates Skynet, it becomes self aware, Judgement Day happens
Under the leadership of John Connor, human survivors fight back and begin to win against Skynet
Skynet creates time travel facility, realizes it has already tried this once before and failed, this time sends T1000 to 1995 to kill John Connor as a child.
Humans capture time travel facility, realize a single human soldier can't hope to stop the super-advanced T1000 alone, instead reprogram T-101 to preserve John Connor's life and send it back to 1995.

Loop 2 -
T1000 and T-101 arrive in 1995.
John Connor's foster parents are killed, Sarah Connor is sprung from mental hospital.
Cyberdyne Systems is destroyed, Miles Dyson (Skynet's primary creator) is killed.
T1000 and T101 are both completely destroyed, along with the leftover remnants of the previous T-101.
Sarah Connor dies of leukemia.
John Connor starts living off the grid to avoid any further time travelling assassins.
General Brewster oversees the creation of Skynet and unmanned combat vehicles, T-1.
Skynet becomes self aware, Judgement Day happens.
John Connor leads humanity, humans start winning vs Skynet
Skynet constructs time travel facility as hail mary, realizes it has tried TWICE to kill John Connor and failed, instead targets his support structure, sends T-X to 2004 to assassinate as many high ranking human resistance officers as possible, including John Connor's wife, Kate Brewster.
Humans capture time travel facility, sends reprogrammed T-101 to 2004.

Loop 3-
T-X and T-101 arrive in 2004
Kate Brewster is saved, but Skynet attains self-awareness anyway.
T-101 sacrifices itself to destroy T-X, judgement day happens anyway.
(here ends Terminator 3, rise of the machines)

So... where we go from here.... is anybody's guess. But apparently it involves the human resistance sending Kyle Reese back to some period AFTER 1984, where Sarah Connor has already met the previous Kyle Reese and stopped the first T-101, thus retconning T2 and T3 and creating our first REAL paradox.

From what I remember I assume the only people who knew that Reese was John's father were Sarah and John. All Skynet had to go on was a name and a vague location (Los Angeles). It didn't even know what she looked like as evident by it killing her roommate on accident.

This is another of those "haven't seen the movies since it was in theaters" bits like Poltergeist, huh? :p

Computers don't think at all, really. Now, there are signs of emergent behavior - unexpected actions that fall under the objectives a device is given - but that's very different from thinking and learning. It's just an interpretation of the options at hand that people did not expect.

Look at the AI in any given video game - in order to provide a real challenge for most players, the AI usually has to either have a completely different set of givens than the player's character, or be able to use exploits that a human player does not have access to. And players will STILL win much of the time. Especially once people figure out the timing, or how to sucker the AI into position, or otherwise outdo their digital opponent.

Here's an example: Tekken 5's final boss, Jinpachi, is much stronger than your character, has priority over all of your moves, will kill you in 3 or 4 hits, has homing fireballs, can teleport, can stun you for 5 or 6 seconds, and takes much less damage than most characters. I'm not an especially skilled player, but I've still beaten Tekken 5 with most of the characters.

You've got the events out of order. It goes -

Timeline 1 -
Skynet created by humans, becomes self aware, sets off Judgement Day
Human survivors wage war against the machines
Under the leadership of John Connor, humans begin to win. Machines can't adapt/manufacture well enough
As a final hail mary, Skynet manages to create time travel device, sends back a T101 to kill Sarah Connor
Humans take time travel facility, send back Kyle Reese to protect Sarah Connor
Actually no, there is no timeline where Kyle Reese isn't John's father... the 1st film had a closed time loop where there are no changes to the timeline because the events of T1 had already happened, and will always happen.

T2 left it open ended by not including the good future ending that you can see on youtube, so it doesn't really violate T1's closed loop thing, though it might, we just don't know from it alone.

@li3n's right; the first time through is what we see in The Terminator. Kyle Reese calls his "one possible" future. That future only happens if he and the T-101 appear to cause it.

Which suggests there are other possible futures. Of course, Reese also says SkyNet only had one shot, and I don't think the second movie ever explains why it doesn't unless Reese didn't know it had dropped multiple Terminators into the time machine all at once and sent them to different times.

@li3n's right; the first time through is what we see in The Terminator. Kyle Reese calls his "one possible" future. That future only happens if he and the T-101 appear to cause it.

Which suggests there are other possible futures. Of course, Reese also says SkyNet only had one shot, and I don't think the second movie ever explains why it doesn't unless Reese didn't know it had dropped multiple Terminators into the time machine all at once and sent them to different times.
It starts immediately following the first movie. Sort of.
There is a flashback episode that reveals where they got the funky coloured uniforms and how Slimer became a part of the team- it starts with them coming back to the firehouse covered in marshmallow.
My nephew's obsessed with Ghostbusters and when I told him there used to be a Ghostbusters cartoon when I was a kid, naturally we had to watch the two episodes that are on the movie's DVD over and over again.

I don't think it can be considered canon though.

It starts immediately following the first movie. Sort of.
There is a flashback episode that reveals where they got the funky coloured uniforms and how Slimer became a part of the team- it starts with them coming back to the firehouse covered in marshmallow.
My nephew's obsessed with Ghostbusters and when I told him there used to be a Ghostbusters cartoon when I was a kid, naturally we had to watch the two episodes that are on the movie's DVD over and over again.

I don't think it can be considered canon though.
That totally explains Terminator; though I never watched the Sarah Connor show.

:p To be honest, the show doesn't work with the movies because at one point they retrieve Mr. Stay-Puft from the other world, implying that it's a ghost and not the incarnation of an ancient malevolent deity, and also it's friendly. So no, not canon.

:p To be honest, the show doesn't work with the movies because at one point they retrieve Mr. Stay-Puft from the other world, implying that it's a ghost and not the incarnation of an ancient malevolent deity, and also it's friendly. So no, not canon.
The TV show specifically explored a different timeline that was created when Sarah, John, and new Terminator Cameron, made a short Time hop 4 years into the future to escape a Terminator sent to kill John. It was one of the reasons the show worked. Too bad about the writers strike as that really killed the momentum the show had started to build, leading to it's cancellation.

[emoji14] To be honest, the show doesn't work with the movies because at one point they retrieve Mr. Stay-Puft from the other world, implying that it's a ghost and not the incarnation of an ancient malevolent deity, and also it's friendly. So no, not canon.
I have no idea how that post wound up in this thread or with that post quoted. I'm going to blame Tapatalk.

I was looking for that post in the Miscellany thread earlier and was like "huh, I guess i forgot to hit post"

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, considering that his kid clearly lied to him i wouldn't trust anything he says as being right...

Remember, John Connor wouldn't exist without Kyle Reese meeting Sarah.
I'm not so sure that's the case. Who's to say that, originally, Sarah would have not had a one night stand with some guy in 1984? I know the photograph seems like a smoking gun, but it's not definitive. I'm not convinced that Kyle was automatically John's initial father because it "already happened in the future." After all, if there's one thing that the series seems to show us is that despite its protestations to the contrary, there IS such a thing as an unchangable future - no matter how much they monkey with the past (which the butterfly effect tells us should DRASTICALLY alter the future, no matter how small the change in the past is), Skynet is still created in every timeline, it always becomes self-aware, Judgement Day always happens, John Connor always leads the human resistance, and turns the tide against Skynet who becomes desperate enough to risk paradox to try altering the past.

Is this what the Doctor means when he talks about a "fixed point in time?"

Considering the alterations that the Butterfly Effect would necessitate, that actually helps the idea that what we see is the first time, because it couldn't be assumed there would even be a John Connor or SkyNet otherwise.

Considering the alterations that the Butterfly Effect would necessitate, that actually helps the idea that what we see is the first time, because it couldn't be assumed there would even be a John Connor or SkyNet otherwise.
It's probably for the best if we leave Ashton Kutcher out of this.

I didn't see the Straight outta Compton trailer posted here yet. I'm not really a rap fan, but this actually seems like a biopic story worth telling, and it looks pretty darn good. I may have to see this.

Straight Outta Compton - Red Band Trailer with Introduction from Dr. Dre...:

I'm not so sure that's the case. Who's to say that, originally, Sarah would have not had a one night stand with some guy in 1984? I know the photograph seems like a smoking gun, but it's not definitive. I'm not convinced that Kyle was automatically John's initial father because it "already happened in the future."
It's not just the photo, there's also the fact that sending just 1 guy to protect her makes no sense otherwise.

Unlike Skynet, the humans have all the time in the world to use the time travel device as there's no enemy army breaking in, and, due to the nature of time travel there's nothing stopping them from sending people to the same date for the next 50 years or whatever...

Sending him alone after giving him the picture (way before they won too) shows that John knows he's his father...

After all, if there's one thing that the series seems to show us is that despite its protestations to the contrary, there IS such a thing as an unchangable future - no matter how much they monkey with the past (which the butterfly effect tells us should DRASTICALLY alter the future, no matter how small the change in the past is), Skynet is still created in every timeline, it always becomes self-aware, Judgement Day always happens, John Connor always leads the human resistance, and turns the tide against Skynet who becomes desperate enough to risk paradox to try altering the past.
Yeah, there's a reason why i wasn't including the stuff after 2...

Is this what the Doctor means when he talks about a "fixed point in time?"
Yeah, one should not use Doctor Who as a source on how logical time travel would operate...