[Movies] The Upcoming Movies Trailer Thread

I did, calling is worth it, texting, unless something comes of it later isn't so far, even if when you call it also tells you to text.

Post automatically merged:

You know, I've watched this trailer a couple of times, and I've noticed something smart, or maybe worrying, about it: it's cut to imply Indy doing a lot of action sequences, but almost none focusing on Harrison Ford having to do anything too physical. For all the problems with The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, the one thing that got to me most was Ford showing every one of his 65 years at that point. He could barely run in pretty much every scene that required it. And, to be fair, he has had a number of serious physical injuries in his lifetime (plane crashes, bone breaks, etc.). And now he's 81! I'm sure there's a lot of stunt-double work in this film, but it just seems cruel to have him doing a role with this much physicality. I'm not saying, "He needs to retire! Put him out to pasture!", but this kind of role seems like it's past his time, no matter how beloved Indiana Jones is.

Also to be fair, he isn't the only aging action star who is guilty of this. I don't know if it's vanity, or denial, or studios are in denial and want to throw money at a well-known name. But I think it's along the lines of why films insist of pairing actors, regardless of their age, with actresses under 30, on average.

You know, I've watched this trailer a couple of times, and I've noticed something smart, or maybe worrying, about it: it's cut to imply Indy doing a lot of action sequences, but almost none focusing on Harrison Ford having to do anything too physical. For all the problems with The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, the one thing that got to me most was Ford showing every one of his 65 years at that point. He could barely run in pretty much every scene that required it. And, to be fair, he has had a number of serious physical injuries in his lifetime (plane crashes, bone breaks, etc.). And now he's 81! I'm sure there's a lot of stunt-double work in this film, but it just seems cruel to have him doing a role with this much physicality. I'm not saying, "He needs to retire! Put him out to pasture!", but this kind of role seems like it's past his time, no matter how beloved Indiana Jones is.

Also to be fair, he isn't the only aging action star who is guilty of this. I don't know if it's vanity, or denial, or studios are in denial and want to throw money at a well-known name. But I think it's along the lines of why films insist of pairing actors, regardless of their age, with actresses under 30, on average.
I'm reminded of this DeNiro scene

1676658792987.png

Dave

Staff member
That clip is the first thing that made me want to see the movie. If the whole thing is like that I'm very in.

This couldn't be more like an actual table game conversation. As the GM I'd have done exactly this.

Dave

Staff member
Well that was unexpected. But why can't Nazis shoot legs? Like, I get he's hiding behind a bulletproof shield, but that shield only goes down to about his kneecap. You can shoot feet, too.

Well that was unexpected. But why can't Nazis shoot legs? Like, I get he's hiding behind a bulletproof shield, but that shield only goes down to about his kneecap. You can shoot feet, too.
Well, you see, military are trained to shoot center mass because leg and arm shots are low-probability. Plus the gun mounted on the tank has a limited up and down range of motion. And, you know...
1677020711358.png

I kinda like the aesthetic and the fact that they're acting like, well, teenagers. I hate to say it, but it seems like most adaptations in the past, including but not limited to the original 80's cartoon and first movie, had them sounding and acting more like 20-somethings.
I really enjoyed the 2012 series on Nickelodeon, where the turtles not only acted like high school teenagers, but they aged April and Casey down to teenagers as well, which really worked in terms of why they'd associate with the turtles all the time.

I really enjoyed the 2012 series on Nickelodeon, where the turtles not only acted like high school teenagers, but they aged April and Casey down to teenagers as well, which really worked in terms of why they'd associate with the turtles all the time.
Agreed. I didn't think I'd like the idea at first, but it worked really well in execution. I REALLY liked the 2012 series. It was the perfect encapsulation of various Turtles iterations. The only thing I wasn't crazy about was Rocksteady & Beebop. But I'm also biased for their original "two giant brutes" design.

Plus I think all the Hamato bros are played by Teens, so it gives it an air of authenticity!

Combine that and the animation means I'm looking forward to it.

Just watched this. I can't WAIT for the guys at work to see it. The right are going to lose their SHIT over this. Not only is Peter Pan ethnic, but a black Tinkerbell?!? I'm giggling already.
Show them black April O'Neil from Turtles above too to really get them riled up.

Dave

Staff member
I think I'm rather excited for this one. I loved the chemistry between them in Knives Out and it looks like goofy fun.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, sometime around 2017 I started actively avoiding trailers altogether (though I still sometimes falter). Whenever (which has become more rare as time goes on) I am actually in the theaters, when the trailers come on I shut my eyes and swirl my fingers in my ears until they're over, which makes me look absolutely insane to anyone else who may be looking - but I maintain that overall it has greatly enhanced my enjoyment of the movies I watch.

The Little Mermaid live action remake

While Disney's recent live-action forays have been a mixed bag at best, I actually rather liked this trailer. At the very least, I can say that vocally she knocked it out of the park. I also like the many fanservice-y shots in the trailer. Not that kind of fanservice. I mean the shots that replicate classic shots from the animated movie and its publicity.