[Movies] The Upcoming Movies Trailer Thread

Dave

Staff member
All I'm saying is I don't like Nic Cage as Dracula. And yeah, the Renfield superhero thing is stupid.

Both of these are opinions.

Evil Dead Rise
(Release Date: April 21, 2023)

This looks in line with the 2013 remake, which was WAY better than anyone expected. If it's not a direct sequel, then it's certainly a thematic sequel.

Oh yeah, I'm in.

This actually makes me mad at myself that I haven't seen the remake yet.

All I'm saying is I don't like Nic Cage as Dracula. And yeah, the Renfield superhero thing is stupid.

Both of these are opinions.
I get your resentment and dislike of Nic Cage as Dracula. At this point his whole career is a self aware meme.

And I don't mean that Nic Cage is aware of the meme. No, the meme itself became sentient and aware of itself replacing him in Thing or Body Snatchers typ scenario.

Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies
Release date on Paramount+: April 6, 2023

Because sure, let's just bring everything back and give it its own series.

Seriously, it could wind up being good for all I know, but of all the things to make a comeback, Grease isn't one I expected.

Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies
Release date on Paramount+: April 6, 2023

Because sure, let's just bring everything back and give it its own series.

Seriously, it could wind up being good for all I know, but of all the things to make a comeback, Grease isn't one I expected.

I hope the showrunners took the failure of Grease 2 into consideration, because apparently recapturing the magic of the first Grease is harder than it looks.

figmentPez

Staff member
Well, HBO's Velma looks like garbage:

The adult animation standard of every character being a complete asshole is wearing a little thin. It makes sense for some shows, like Harley Quinn is a show about villains, they're supposed to be assholes, but almost every single western animated show aimed at adults has an entire cast of unlikeable jerks, and it's boring.

Shaggy seems fine, he's pretty likeable from the little bit I've seen. I dunno, I didn't hate that? I'll watch an episode.

Well, HBO's Velma looks like garbage:

The adult animation standard of every character being a complete asshole is wearing a little thin. It makes sense for some shows, like Harley Quinn is a show about villains, they're supposed to be assholes, but almost every single western animated show aimed at adults has an entire cast of unlikeable jerks, and it's boring.
I dunno. I could watch it and have fun with it.

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret.

Well, THAT takes me back.

EDIT: Forgive me if I've told this story, but when Mr. Z was in 2nd grade, the teacher had them pick books to read from the classroom library (for a book report, I think), and Mr. Z happened to grab Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret. Please keep in mind, besides being a boy, he had only been living in the US 2-3 years, so while he could read the book, he had no idea what the hell was going on in it. If I remember correctly, he got about 3/4 of the book finished before his teacher happened to notice which book he had gotten, and had him switch books.

I just sent him the link to this trailer, and, I quote: "...This makes me wildly uncomfortable.".

Ahh, childhood trauma. :D

Last edited:
I'm suddenly reminded of my favorite bit of writing advice.

"How do you kill a vampire? However you want, because vampires don't exist."
On the other hand, I get annoyed at the "oh no I don't have any silver bullets to kill this werewolf" "oh, just give him a chocolate" meme thing that's been going around lately.
Yeah, yeah, I get it, chocolate is deadly for dogs and wolves. But if the reasoning is"it'll kill a regular wolf so it'll hurt a werewolf too ", then.... A regular bullet, a stick, a knife, and about a zillion other things would work too.
The idea of an evil inhuman/undead/whatever monster being mostly immune to normal types of lethal force is because they're magical creatures (and usually undead) and are therefore harder to kill, and need something specific linked to them in folklore or such. They're harder to kill than a normal version, otherwise they wouldn't make much of a big bad.

On the other hand, I get annoyed at the "oh no I don't have any silver bullets to kill this werewolf" "oh, just give him a chocolate" meme thing that's been going around lately.
Yeah, yeah, I get it, chocolate is deadly for dogs and wolves. But if the reasoning is"it'll kill a regular wolf so it'll hurt a werewolf too ", then.... A regular bullet, a stick, a knife, and about a zillion other things would work too.
The idea of an evil inhuman/undead/whatever monster being mostly immune to normal types of lethal force is because they're magical creatures (and usually undead) and are therefore harder to kill, and need something specific linked to them in folklore or such. They're harder to kill than a normal version, otherwise they wouldn't make much of a big bad.
I'm not familiar with this meme, but that just sounds like a joke.

Your Place or Mine
(Release date: February 10 on Netflix)

All right, confession time: I'm a sucker for the occasional fluffy rom-com. Not a genre I go out of my way to watch all the time, but I enjoy them sometimes. This one looks like it could be okay.