The Undisputed Unified Wrestling Thread

You can definitely tell how sincere Vince McMahon's "He's their problem now." was about AEW hiring CM Punk now.

You know how if Chris Pratt is in a scene with Chris Helmsworth, Pratt just disappears.

That's the problem with AEW, the EVPs are Pratt.

Tony Kahn is what happens when a fanboy has enough money to make his own promotion and hire his heroes. Who end up being douchebags.

This is the best time to be a wrestling fan, though, GODDAMN

You need to know your role and shut your damb mouth before Hulkamania runs wild over you brother!
I sincerely believe Bryan Danielson is the best human being to ever practice professional wrestling inside a ring. And we get to watch him in his twilight years, RIGHT NOW.

I also sincerely believe Jon Moxley will be the most influential wrestler of this generation, maybe ever. He's the face of the second best company (after doing pretty much everything in the biggest), but he's also a big deal in Japan AND active in the indies. He can show up anywhere, anytime and sell out the place. Wrestlers today and future wrestlers are watching that and are 100% going to want to emulate that limitless career, instead of limiting themselves to a single promotion, even if it's WWE.

And we get to watch him in his prime RIGHT NOW.

That's without even mentioning Triple H shaking things up like they never have been over at the old company, and Tony Kahn being so incompetent but sincerely fanboyish that it's hard not to pay attention to behind the things stuff.

What in Hulkamania times could POSSIBLY compete with current times!?

What in Hulkamania times could POSSIBLY compete with current times!?
I suppose that depends on the metric(s) being used to compare. Breakfast cereals? Movie deals? Action figures? Salaries? Cartoons? PSA’s? Music albums? Political office? Endorsements?

—Patrick

Oh you mean mainstream NON-wrestling stuff.

Yeah that was bigger back then.

In all seriousness, though, keep in mind that I'm in Mexico where Hulkmania never even TOUCHED Santo-mania. Because it's not really a Mania, it's a cultural touchstone. There's statues of El Santo. There was a pretty serious proposal that almost became reality to put El Santo in one of our bills. Santo's been dead for 40~ years and I just saw a dude selling El Santo stuff at a stoplight, including a custom-made "funko" Santo *I JUST HAD TO BUY*.

And also lucha was already doing flippy shit when Hulk Hogan was doing 3 moves :p

Okay, it's been well established that Hogans moveset was based on giving the audience what it wanted, not ability.

Wrestling today just doesn't reach as many people. The last time it was a water cooler topic was when Marty Jannety went insane.

Wrestling today just doesn't reach as many people.
I'd argue that's a GOOD thing, if you care about the actual wrestling.

At Hulk-doing-3-moves times we would never have gotten 20+ minute bangers on TV like we do every week now. They wouldn't be "mainstream" without out of ring shenanigans.

But today I'm still thinking of that Andrade El Idolo, Dragon Lee & Rush vs. Kenny Omega & Young Bucks match from like a month ago. Seamus vs Walter! Even Riddle vs Rollins or McIntyre vs Reigns, all within 4 weeks, when I started watching we got 3-4 fights that good A YEAR, now it's 4-5 bangers A MONTH, it's heaven.

How many times did they have 25 minute matches on TV that wasn't on a PPV?

And even if they did do 6 twenty minute bangers a week on TV (they didn't), that's one classic feud people have been holding on to for 30 years precisely **because** it was so rare to have actually good wrestlers be over and good and have screen time, instead of your Hogans or your Macho Men dominating TV and doing 4 moves a week.

Never in-ring, actually, when I was growing up Santo and Blue Demon were mostly MOVIE stars, the old 60's-70's movies where they're fighting vampires and mummies and stuff were on TV aaaallll the time. Hijo del Santo and Blue Demon Jr were already around by the late 80's, they were the ones mostly wrestling.

As just-decent wrestlers that were at the right place at the right time to trascend the very business and change the zeitgeist of an entire culture.

Kinda like Hogan 20 years before Hogan heh

They would definitely be mediocre in today's wrestling heaven times.

Oooh that's good to know!

There's also a Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode with Santo vs. las Mujeres Vampiro (Santo vs the Vampire Women) that I've wanted to watch for years now and never got around to. I actively remember that movie playing all the time when I visited my grandparents and spent the afternoon zapping through the 5 or 6 over the air channels we had in the 90s.

There's also a Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode with Santo vs. las Mujeres Vampiro (Santo vs the Vampire Women) that I've wanted to watch for years now and never got around to.
Strangely enough...Shout! TV also carries many (Most? All?) of the MST3K episodes.
This is just sounding more and more like you need to get the Shout! app or sub to their site.
Before you ask, they also carry (all?) of the episodes of Reboot, too.

--Patrick

So there was a QR code displayed pretty prominently in the background of last night's RAW, and it takes you to this site:

So that's 10000% Bray Wyatt coming back, right? Now someone tell me what timezone they're talking about with 9:23 :mad:

Could it actually be 9/23? Smackdown this Friday?
Oh it's both, it flashed between 9.23 and 9:23, in blue and white, so it's definitely at Smackdown on September 23 at 9:23pm IN SOME TIME ZONE, doubt it's mine cause smackdown is 23 minutes over at my central time 9:23

So there was a QR code displayed pretty prominently in the background of last night's RAW, and it takes you to this site:

So that's 10000% Bray Wyatt coming back, right? Now someone tell me what timezone they're talking about with 9:23 :mad:
The White Rabbit with the hourglass is a thing tied to Karrion Kross and he's being VERY coy about all this. However... the lights did dim for a moment during the Sasha Banks/Alexa Bliss match and a red tint was seen. And Lumis seems to be up to something too...

The best take I've heard? Wyatt's coming back and this will be his new stable.

I'm certain the hourglass thing is a red herring, same as the rabbit choosing the letters for DEMON during its guesses that were then crossed out with purple Xs, which is a double Finn Balor reference. I doubt he'll be joining the Judgement Day, tho, so maybe he'll feud with them?

The white rabbit - kross connection is a bit of a reach IMO because that's a Lucha Underground "property" and one of the Firefly Funhouse characters was a creepy bunny anyway.