[News] The Trayvon Martin Discussion Thread

That gif makes no sense. Why would he have a gallon of gasoline by his computer? At least for everythingelse he goes off screen to go get.

Nope nope, he was sitting and reading on his computer.
Maybe he was following a skeezy looking thread, and kept the gas can on hand "just in case" things got out of hand, to protect himself. One thing led to another and he had to use the option of last resort...

Maybe he was following a skeezy looking thread, and kept the gas can on hand "just in case" things got out of hand, to protect himself. One thing led to another and he had to use the option of last resort...
But not the matches/sledgehammer and gun? Nope. Not buying it.

He could have been carrying the match already. Maybe he was intending self-immolation, but reasoned that he had to kill the computer first. So naturally, he had to go get the sledgehammer and gun.

I neither like or dislike cops on a personal level. Police and other authoritarian figures are important parts of society, and should I be the victim of a crime, I certainly want to have them to call upon to help sort it out. But liking or dislike a group consisting of hundreds of thousands of people is to paint with such a broad stroke that to attempt to do so only makes you look like a fool.

I like several police officers.

I dislike a few as well.

I'd go so far to say that the ratio of like to dislike among police officers I have met is similar to the ratio of any other group of people I've come into contact with.

So in closing, to keep my street cred, I will say fuck -some- of the police, and the rest could probably use a gift basket for the service they provide.

Except Frankie. :zoid:

ElJuski

Staff member
I grew up a couple blocks from where 50 Cent lived if that gives you any perspective on my interaction with black culture. I agree with you completely about the media (and Charlie too).

Bottom line: A kid (yes, 17 years old is still a damn kid) has been murdered over something stupid. Take ethnicity and race completely out of it, and that's what you have. As a kid I remember getting in trouble in school, skipping, etc... Treyvon Martin was a regular kid. He was confronted for no reason, raised a stink, and died because of it. As an adult, Zimmerman should have known to lay off and not follow him. I think he should be put away for murder.
Right, when it comes down to brass tacks, we agree exactly the same. I'm way with you, man.

ElJuski

Staff member
and as for the people saying we should try to help those kids not being so fucking stupid, I hate to say it--@Mathias excuse me-- I spend my whole day, Monday through Friday--trying to make them not so fucking stupid.

Well, Fuck You Too.

I enjoy going to the range to work on a critical life skill.

I also sleep better knowing that I have the option of defending myself. Especially since twice in my life I lived in neighborhoods where home invasions were an issue.
Agreed. My uncle lives in a rural area where meth is a problem and home invasions are an issue. Thus, he has firearms for self-defense. He hasn't had to shoot anyone, but it did take working the pump on his 12 gauge to dissuade the last unwelcome visitor.

P

PotaDOS

There is nothing wrong with parking in a designated parking space. That is not a foolish choice to make. Confronting someone who is stalking you is not a wise decision. A more apt parking comparison would be parking on the shoulder of a busy highway, when there are other parking spaces available. If a drunk plows into your car when you parked someplace unwise, that doesn't absolve you of the foolishness of poor parking. The guilt of bad parking choices does not mean you deserve to have your car destroyed, but you're still foolish to park there no matter what happens afterwards. The two things are not actually related. Even though the car would not have been destroyed by the drunk driver if it had been parked in a designated spot, and not just on the side of the road, that is not the cause of the destruction, and the destruction does not negate foolishness in parking.
I apologize that my post wasn't as clear as I had intended. I'll be concise this time:

Blaming the kid for being shot by a racist stalker with a concealed weapon as much as the racist stalker with a concealed weapon is terrible. I simply can't describe how wrong that is. Kids make mistakes and its up to the adult to act like an adult, not stalk the kid with a deadly weapon, and not to shoot him when the kid finally freaks out from being stalked. That's the extent of my thoughts on the subject.

and as for the people saying we should try to help those kids not being so fucking stupid, I hate to say it--@Mathias excuse me-- I spend my whole day, Monday through Friday--trying to make them not so fucking stupid.
See, that sucks because the way urban culture goes is that these kids
I completely disagree with you.
But you're saying "fuck the police; police are corrupt; the policing institution is corrupt." That is essentially the same thing. I wonder do you really believe that shit, or do you say it just to be hip? Honestly, believing in absolutes is more of a conservative christian right wing nutjob thing, but I guess it swings far left too....

Eitherway, I've got a special present in the mail for you.

Now, that said. I still 100% agree with you about the Treyvon Martin case, and that the cops in this case are turning out to be complete assholes. In no way do I believe all-or even most -cops are this incompetent.

How many people have you personally known that work as police officers? My guess is none. Which completely correlates back to your opinion of them. I suggest making friends with at least one person who works as a cop. You see how closely this parallels other forms of prejudice? I could easily write in "black person" instead of "cop", and you'd have the same context.

While that stuff certainly is fishy and seems indicative, it still doesn't shed more light on what actually happened, which seems to be the real mystery (at least to the public).

fade

Staff member
Dammit. I came in here for an argument, only to find things had been resolved sort of peacefully. Debate blue balls.