The Tech Random Crap Thread

I still don't see the point.
For one, voice activation pretty much still sucks and isn't always useable - but that's partly personal preference.
For another, even if I'm using an assistant, why the heck would I want it taking up my screen space? The Enterprise doesn't force you to talk to a holographic projection in front of you to do something. If I'm supposed to take out my phone and look at the screen, I (usually) might as well just click the damn button myself rather than go "Sam, open youtube...no, YOU TUBE.....No, Sam, open the You Tube App......sam, open the...oh for fuck's sake *click* what the?! No Sam don't open the FuckSake App! I'm at work! AAARGGG!"

I find the original rendered image disquietingly off-putting. Aside from the fact that her home address is deep in the Uncanny Valley, her face doesn't look helpful/eager/playful, it looks almost... predatory.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
If you are using google chrome, stop reading this and update it right now.

3 dot menu, help, about, update is at the top of the list.

Do it again.

Updated Chrome on my smartphone, now I'm on the first version where you can't disable the tab grid view through flags anymore. Yuck, yuck yuck. I know it has its use cases and it isn't a total downgrade, but I heartily dislike it.

Updated Chrome on my smartphone, now I'm on the first version where you can't disable the tab grid view through flags anymore. Yuck, yuck yuck. I know it has its use cases and it isn't a total downgrade, but I heartily dislike it.
Ditto. What was wrong with the way it worked previously? Why fix something that's not broken?

Ditto. What was wrong with the way it worked previously? Why fix something that's not broken?
The new system argyle for some other new features (grouping etc) so I can understand them wanting to add this.
What I don't get is Google's incessant need to remove older styles or variations every time they release a new variety.
Yes, yes, support, blah blah. You don't want to know how many different variations of the same software we support, Big G should be able to maintain some compatibility.

So is anyone else having multiple monitor issues? My friend's been having issues since a newish Windows update, I literally thought my video card had died and I know someone else that's been having a flickering monitor issue since a recent update too. It's been a massive pain in the ass.

So is anyone else having multiple monitor issues?
I've heard of lots of people having issues with multiple monitors, but there's always SOMETHING interfering with multiple monitors properly, especially for things like games that want to have your entire screen all to themselves but can't because you have more than one. Frequently able to work around this by setting the game to "Windowed Fullscreen" when available until MS and video driver people get their respective acts together.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
I think my processor (i5-6400) is too old for Win11, but I was surprised to find that Windows says I have a TPM 2.0 in my pre-built HP.

GasBandit

Staff member
I think my processor (i5-6400) is too old for Win11, but I was surprised to find that Windows says I have a TPM 2.0 in my pre-built HP.
I think it was around 2015 that TPMs started being standard issue in prebuilt systems.

I built mine myself in 2013, which would explain why my I7-4770k doesn't have one.

Didn't the Verge's terrible PC build guy wear an anti-static wristband without any sort of grounding wire on it? And he was roundly mocked for it?