The Tech Random Crap Thread

Can't say it's a bad move. If Edge is Just Another Chromium Browser, die many people there'll be little reason to use it to download Chrome. IT ers around the world will no doubt rejoice, as everyone will finally have something that works.

@figmentPez Gamers Nexus tested the Walmart PSU by itself...

tl;dw: meh. It's... acceptable.

And since these reviews went live, the prices for the systems have absolutely crashed.

Hey, do you use an email address ending in @aol.com or @yahoo.com?
Well, you might want to seriously start thinking about transitioning away from them.
Verizon cuts > 10,000 jobs and admits its Yahoo/AOL division is a failure
Verizon's Media business, branded Oath, has experienced increased competitive and market pressures throughout 2018 that have resulted in lower-than-expected revenues and earnings. These pressures are expected to continue and have resulted in a loss of market positioning to our competitors in the digital advertising business. Oath has also achieved lower-than-expected benefits from the integration of the Yahoo Inc. and AOL Inc. businesses
—Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
Razer wants you to mine cryptocurrency, but you don't get any. Instead, those who use the software will get Razer Silver, which are basically rewards points to use, mostly, towards Razer gear. It's almost certainly a bad deal, especially if you remember to factor in the cost of power, but I imagine that they'll get a fair amount of users. Teens who don't know, or don't care, that electricity costs money. People who don't realize that PCs use more power when they're working hard ("my computer is on anyway, might as well have it doing something").

That's definitely a reason for me to... never even consider a Razer product ever again. Fuck that and fuck them.
Razer has produced shoddy, overpriced products for a long while anyway. If you are looking for high performance PC gear for gaming, stay away from anything that has "gaming" in the name.

We love our Alexa. I have linked up indoor lights, outdoor lights, the sprinklers, the thermostat, and the garage door to it. We use it for our calendar and for multiple shopping lists and as an intercom and to listen to ambient music through. We ask it for the weather a lot as well. We definitely are getting out money's (and personal information's) worth for it.

GasBandit

Staff member

GasBandit

Staff member
My freakin' DESK MIC has a bright blue LED on top. It can be blinding. I'm glad my computer isn't in my bedroom.

GasBandit

Staff member
I've not seen a report of phones recording people when the "record me 24-7 function isn't turned on."
They can turn that on remotely anytime they want. So far they've only done it trying to locate criminals in cooperation with law enforcement (that we know of.). But hey, if you're willing to trust them, who am I to go tugging threads.

They can turn that on remotely anytime they want. So far they've only done it trying to locate criminals in cooperation with law enforcement (that we know of.). But hey, if you're willing to trust them, who am I to go tugging threads.
This is why my phone is rooted with a custom operating system

GasBandit

Staff member
Another side benefit of my practice of waiting until games hit $10 or below to buy them is generally by that time, the dev/publisher has decided to remove denuvo anti-tamper from it. Testing has been completed that shows that often, denuvo can reduce framerate AND increase load times by stupidly huge amounts and introduces stuttering. Makes me want to go look for denuvo cracks for games I've legitimately bought, TBH. Wow, so many things these days are nudging me back toward piracy...

Last edited:

fade

Staff member
It still amazes me how many people think out of 320 million people that anyone cares who you are, where you are, or what you're doing. The best security feature you have when it comes to the GPS feature on your phone is that you're not the protagonist in a post-apocalyptic dystopian novel. No one cares.

It still amazes me how many people think out of 320 million people that anyone cares who you are, where you are, or what you're doing. The best security feature you have when it comes to the GPS feature on your phone is that you're not the protagonist in a post-apocalyptic dystopian novel. No one cares.
Well there goes all my hopes & dreams :cry:

If ever there was a need for a --silent flag:
ONE YEAR LATER...
"The latest Insider build of Windows 10, 18309, [...] includes a change to the setup process for Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education users: Cortana will no longer automatically talk to you and guide you through the installation process. This will make fresh installs of Windows 10 on multiple machines a great deal less annoying. While Cortana's chatter is useful for headless machines and can improve accessibility for Windows users with vision issues, a whole room of computers talking through the Windows installation process is nobody's idea of a good time."

<success_kid.jpg>

--Patrick

I downloaded the Win10 Media Creation Tool in preparation for the new build. The current version starts you at version 1809.

RTX 2060 reviews are starting to trickle out after its late-night unveiling last night.
Priced at about US$350 MSRP, performance trades blows with 1070ti or about 50% faster than 1060.
Its biggest weakness is that it is mildly gimped by only having 6GB RAM instead of 8GB.
So yes barring any sudden Achilles’ heel-type discoveries, it seems to be the midrange card to get IF you can’t afford a 2070 or 1070ti (in that order).

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
RTX 2060 reviews are starting to trickle out after its late-night unveiling last night.
Priced at about US$350 MSRP, performance trades blows with 1070ti or about 50% faster than 1060.
Its biggest weakness is that it is mildly gimped by only having 6GB RAM instead of 8GB.
So yes barring any sudden Achilles’ heel-type discoveries, it seems to be the midrange card to get IF you can’t afford a 2070 or 1070ti (in that order).

—Patrick
I've been watching for used 1070s and 1080s on ebay on the down-low. So far none have ended low enough to my bid range for me to fight for (I figure if I find a 1070 for $150, that's acceptable because I paid $200 for my 1060, and that's about the price difference). Maybe this will change that.

Or heck, maybe I'll end up with a 2060 myself at some point, if I win a small lottery or something.

It's just hard for me to justify spending money on a new card when the one I have isn't unsatisfactory (for everything but VR).