The Tech Random Crap Thread

GasBandit

Staff member
Firefox 57 is markedly worse than its predecessors, so far, in my experience. I have to restart it to restore computer performance MUCH more often.

I don't think any user has ever said, "You know what I want more of in a browser? Unsolicited advertising. I just can't get enough of that in my life."

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
I haven't noticed any troubles, myself, with the latest Firefox. My only trouble was that, once it updated, I couldn't figure out how to work the new version of NoScript. I just could not get the new interface to permit things to run.

This is "Geekier" than the average in the videos thread (and that's saying something considering our board here), so I'm putting it here:

Follow-up super-duper-crash-course on Neural Networks:

And having taken a course on Neural Networks back in University (it was an elective, and about 90% of the course was bullshit), I can say that his explanation is good enough for a super-intro version.

Dave

Staff member
Not sure whether this goes here or the rant thread.

Got CenturyLink Gigabit fiber and so far it's been nothing short of infuriating.

• The tech ran the wire through my new neighbor's fence. Like, laced it through the posts along the entire length of our yards like they were weaving a shitty basket.
  • The excess wire is just laying on the ground outside by the cable box in a heap.
  • They told me they couldn't bury the cable until the ground thaws. When I checked on their site they stated that the cable bury ticket was completed.
  • We are paying for Gigabit (1000 Mbps) and are currently hitting 94 Mbps down and 96 Mbps up.
  • I was on the phone with them for a couple hours and the best they could come up with was it was either my NIC card wasn't set up for 10/100/1000 (it is) or the ethernet cable I'm using isn't rated for gigabit. Haven't tried that out yet but I will before I call them back.
So again I could go back to Cox as they have Gigabit fiber out here as well...with a 1 TB data cap. Plus they are WAAAAAAY more expensive.

Ah, the pleasures of a new house.

GasBandit

Staff member

Got CenturyLink Gigabit fiber and so far it's been nothing short of infuriating.

• The tech ran the wire through my new neighbor's fence. Like, laced it through the posts along the entire length of our yards like they were weaving a shitty basket.
  • The excess wire is just laying on the ground outside by the cable box in a heap.
  • They told me they couldn't bury the cable until the ground thaws. When I checked on their site they stated that the cable bury ticket was completed.
  • We are paying for Gigabit (1000 Mbps) and are currently hitting 94 Mbps down and 96 Mbps up.
  • I was on the phone with them for a couple hours and the best they could come up with was it was either my NIC card wasn't set up for 10/100/1000 (it is) or the ethernet cable I'm using isn't rated for gigabit. Haven't tried that out yet but I will before I call them back.
So again I could go back to Cox as they have Gigabit fiber out here as well...with a 1 TB data cap. Plus they are WAAAAAAY more expensive.

Might also want to make sure you're using a gigabit capable routers and switches, if you're doing more than just plugging one computer directly into their modem.

You would be surprised. The ISP I work for uses switches that are not compatible with our IPTV system. We had good working one's for years, but they cost too much and now we stock ones that we can't use.

The first thing I did after my Dad helped me wire my new house was to test the ethernet we put in. I bought the cable, I knew it was correct, but there was always the possibility my crimping jobs were crap, or whatever. I was very happy that I can actually get the gigabit I'm paying for when I tested it. And even more significantly, I can get 700+Mbps to Boston as well, which is across an international border, so less likely to be doing "shenanigans" with that test.

Good luck Dave.

Dave

Staff member
Well, I'll keep fighting the good fight, but if nothing else I'm STILL getting the same speed I was with my other provider and no longer have data caps - all for $9 a month more. So while I'll keep trying to figure this out, I'm not losing out until it gets fixed, either.

There was a Slashdot article recently about favorite tech jokes. Well, here's a post that was a bunch of stories this guy claimed to have lived which I found the funniest of all:
Them: It's not working.
Me: Is it plugged in?
Them: Yes.
I walk over, check the power cord, and it's unplugged.
Them: Oooh, I didn't check that end of the cord.

Them: I can't play this DVD.
Me: Um, you only have a CD drive.

The user's password is on a post-it on their monitor. It was their initials and their date of birth. I still don't know why they needed the reminder.

Email from customer: Help
Me, in email: How can I help?
Them, in second email: I can't send email.
Me: It looks like you just did.

Them: Can you give me a copy of my predecessor's files?
Me: Sure. There's a lot, though. Which ones do you need?
Them: You do it. It's too unsecure for me to tell you which ones.
Me: I'm just worried about file space. You can have any or all of them if you want.
Them: That doesn't sound very safe. You tell me.
Me: I can't really tell you what files you need.
Them: My mouse is jumping around.
Me: Oh, it's just got a little dirt inside. It's easy to clean.
Them: Can't you just buy me a new one instead?

Director: I got a new computer. Can you drive out to my house to set up email for me?
Me: Okay.
I drive out and find the new computer is a laptop.

Me, on phone with ISP: We can't receive email.
ISP: We'll look into it and get back to you.
Me, four hours later: Can I get an update?
ISP: We found the problem and emailed you a fix hours ago.
Them: I'm trying to use Greg's computer but it won't come on.
I troubleshoot and discover user is pressing the monitor button.
Me: Look for the box, and press that button instead.
Them: Box? I don't see one. Greg took his laptop with him. Does that mean I can't use it?

Me: do you have a desktop or a laptop?
Him: I've got both.
Me: which are we using?
Him: well, it's a desktop right now.
Me: Huh? Desktop right now?
Him: Sometimes it's a laptop but right now it's a desktop.
Me: You mean your laptop is plugged into a dock?
Him: yeah.
Me: Okay, that still counts as a laptop.

Them: The printer is working, but it's not printing
Me: what does working but not printing mean?
Them: Well, I don't know, but it's .... it's ... it's not printing, but it's working?
Me: Well, in what ways is it working if it's not printing?
Them: I don't know. Can't you just come over here and fix it?
I come over. The printer is not plugged in.

Them: My computer won't play sound.
I adjust the volume slider. The computer beeps.
Them: Well, I thought it was the sound, but, it won't play this voice mail.
I double-click the file, and it runs for one second and ends.
Me: I think it's just a hang-up.
Them: Oh, nevermind then.

Her: I'm trying to opposite-click X, but it's not working.
Me: Uh, most people call it right click.
Her: Yeah, but it's the opposite button, so I call it opposite click.
Me: You know, if you use a term that nobody else understands, they probably won't understand you.
Her: So anyway, I'm trying to opposite-click this file, and ...

Him: I'm getting spam from myself! Help!
Me: Addresses can be faked.
Him: Ah.

Her: I used to be able to use my work computer at home, but the wireless stopped working.
Me: Hm, it seems to work here in the office.
Her: Yeah, it's fine here, just not at home. It use to work but now it wants a password.
Me: Uh, let's back up. Do you have wireless installed at home?
Her: No. I just grab something from the list of wireless networks. But now they have passwords.
Me: Oh, you've been stealing wireless from your neighbors, then.

Her: I'm trying to run this file and it won't.
Me: where did it come from?
Her: the dean sent it to me because he couldn't open it.
Me: where did he get it.
Her: let me see ... (checks) ... he says it came in an email.
After a little more research, turns out it was a virus email that he'd been trying to run for half an hour, and then recruiting the rest of his staff to help him get it running.

I had someone last week ask me if I had a longer charging cord for their phone. “I just redid my desk and now the cord is too short. I need some kind of USB extension or something.”
Me: “How about you just use an extension cord from the outlet to the charger plug?”
Them: “......Oh.”

—Patrick

I had someone last week ask me if I had a longer charging cord for their phone. “I just redid my desk and now the cord is too short. I need some kind of USB extension or something.”
Me: “How about you just use an extension cord from the outlet to the charger plug?”
Them: “......Oh.”

—Patrick
We really need a facepalm rating for situations like this.

Make sure you’re picking a nearby server manually. Sometimes it just goes by fastest ping and picks one an extra 500 miles away.

—Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Make sure you’re picking a nearby server manually. Sometimes it just goes by fastest ping and picks one an extra 500 miles away.

—Patrick
Unfortunately, Omaha is right in the middle of everything and is pretty equidistant from the Chicago or Texas or Denver servers.

I thought this only happens on the internet. Somebody mailed me her user and password. Anyone has an enemy and would like him to have pending taxes here?

Honestly, in a couple of years every major city in Colorado will have or will be on the verge of having fast internet not beholden to the main ISPs (in theory), so why lower yourself to living in Nebraska. :p

Honestly, in a couple of years every major city in Colorado will have or will be on the verge of having fast internet not beholden to the main ISPs (in theory), so why lower yourself to living in Nebraska. :p
And pot.
D'ya think between the two of them, they'll make a sort of "Shipt," but for legal weed?

--Patrick