The Super Dooper Canadian Thread (now with 47% more Canadian Bacon)

GasBandit

Staff member
This got me thinking about words that might be distinctly Texan. I've actually had to settle a bet for yankee friends about what a "pole cat" actually is (a skunk).

Things I've heard in my life here used unironically in Texas that y'all might find quaint or odd-

Y'all - Plural of you. See "you guys" in most other parts of the country, or "youse guys" in Boston
Reckon - Think, judge, estimate. "I reckon it'll take about 5 quarts to top off."
Fixin - Preparing, about to. "I'm fixin to go the to store."
Howdy - general greeting, causes hostility if not returned in kind. "I SAID HOWDY, DAMN IT"
Polecat - a skunk.
Yonder - there. Used when indicating position. "It's over yonder."
Arroyo - from the spanish, meaning a gulch or drainage ditch.
Settee - a fancy couch
Coke - general term for any carbonated non-alcoholic beverage. "I'll have a coke." "What kind?" "Sprite."
Billfold - wallet
Icebox - refrigerator
Yeetchet - inquiring if you want something to eat.
Yunktoo - Asking if you want to do something

And I could go on for pages about the metaphors, but here at work it's friday and I'm busier than a one legged cat trying to bury turds on asphalt.

What about soaker? Is that a Canadian but apparently not Ottawa thing, or a regional Ontario thing, or just everywhere but Ottawa thing, or what?

My brother told people he got a soaker on the way to class in Ottawa and everyone looked at him like he'd just spoken Mandarin.

Last edited:
What about soaker? Is that a Canadian but apparently not Ottawa thing, or a regional Ontario thing, or just everywhere but Ottawa thing, or what?

My brother told people he got a soaker on the way to class and everyone looked at him like he'd just spoken Mandarins.
Never heard it before in my life.

How did he get a soaker going to class? Is he really young?
He would have been around 21-22, i think. I should be able to keep better track- he hasn't been out of school very long.

I am shocked people don't know what a soaker is.

A soaker is the worst, cause your socks are wet for the rest of the day.

A soaker is when your footwear gets submerged in water. Imagine a kids rubber boot hitting a deep puddle and all the water flowing over the top.
More commonly it's from wearing running shoes or other inappropriate for the weather shoes either during the rain or after rain and stepping in a puddle.

Y'all - Plural of you. See "you guys" in most other parts of the country, or "youse guys" in Boston
Or "ye" in regular English, except that it fell out of favor because people didn't want to use the thorn letter for some reason (it's actually spelled "þe").

--Patrick

Okay, maybe a bit off.

Canada: 11 total - seven NHL teams, Toronto Marlies. Hamilton, St. John's, Brampton of the ECHL.

Texas: 6 total - Allen (ECHL), Abeliene (WPHL), Dallas (NHL), Laredo (CHL), San Antonio and Texas (AHL).

Texas, of course, has one team in each of the five "sanctioned" pro leagues in North America.

Okay, maybe a bit off.

Canada: 11 total - seven NHL teams, Toronto Marlies. Hamilton, St. John's, Brampton of the ECHL.

Texas: 6 total - Allen (ECHL), Abeliene (WPHL), Dallas (NHL), Laredo (CHL), San Antonio and Texas (AHL).

Texas, of course, has one team in each of the five "sanctioned" pro leagues in North America.
There's a whole Quebec pro league with 8 more teams you're neglecting.
http://www.lnah.com/

So is the Quebec one, they're just considered pro by some orgs because they pay their players.
The Quebec one i mention is not a junior league. The very first player profile on their site is a 30 year old. Its not a high skill pro league by any means, and thr pay is... well it's BARELY pay. but it isn't junior.

I think you are mistaking it for the QMJHL.

But yeah if we are including juniors, throw the Q in there too.