Dave

Staff member
I’m sitting here at work tonight watching a guy who has been here 20+ years just fucking everything up that he should know better. I can’t really say anything until he asks for help but he’s going to crash & burn.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm here on halforums. GF walks in in just a t-shirt and panties. We are due to take her son to the airport today.

Me: Did you want to go get him now, or putter around for a while?
Her: "We can go. First I just wanted to come wear my panties at you."
Me: "I KNEW IT! IT WAS CALCULATED! DELIBERATE!"

GasBandit

Staff member
Slowly trying to get my cat and my GF's dog to get used to each other.

It's going reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal slow. The dog is enthusiastic and inquisitive. Probably too much so. Nibbles has already peed on Schatzi once in self defense.

GasBandit

Staff member
Setting boundaries is important.
Oh yes, I have divided the house with a baby gate, same as when I was taking care of a friend's dog while he moved houses for a few months. The bedrooms are Nibbles' territory, and the LR/DR/K/Hall is Schatzi's. Nibbles can slither under the baby gate if he want too, though, and that was what led to the peeing incident. He came out to investigate, and Schatzi came up for an enthusiastic sniff... and Nibbles went full "Oh Long Johnson" until the dog was in urinating range.

Every day we make a tiny bit of progress. Nibbles was refusing to come out from under the bed for the next day... then didn't want to come out of the bedroom the day after that... now he's back to yowling at the dog in the hall when he passes on the way to my office.

GasBandit

Staff member
So, my GF's adult kids (19 and 23) do this... thing... that strikes me as really odd. Just wanted to know if anybody else has seen this sort of thing.

They'll call someone, like, facetime, or regular phone, or even discord video call, whatever, on their phone. And after a brief few sentences back and forth, they'll just.... leave the call running while they do other things. Laundry. Play Fortnite. Eat dinner. Whatever. They just keep the call going forever. They both do this when they call their mother, but also I've noticed that the younger (who has still been living with his mother) will do it with other friends/family as well. Start a call on his phone, then watch TV or play fortnite with the call still in session. Sometimes talking in voice chat and then having to let the person on the phone know "oh I was talking in game chat" to clarify.

It just always strikes me as really bizarre and not a small amount discourteous. Usually if neither I nor the other party has said anything in over 10 seconds, I will say "Ok cool talk to you later" and begin the social steps of politely terminating a call that has run out of things to say. But not these folks.

So I just thought I'd have a reality check with the rest of you guys before I started down the rabbit hole of figuring out exactly who is having the Poop Knife moment here.

14yr-old will do the same thing.
Heck, even I will do the same thing, though only in things like Discord or other VC. Perhaps they are just treating phone calls as yet another form of VC rather than its own separate category? The end of the pressure of per-minute billing probably contributes to that mentality.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
14yr-old will do the same thing.
Heck, even I will do the same thing, though only in things like Discord or other VC. Perhaps they are just treating phone calls as yet another form of VC rather than its own separate category? The end of the pressure of per-minute billing probably contributes to that mentality.

--Patrick
Not only that, but it used to be just... expected... that when you had a phone call, the entirety of your attention was on the person on the call. Watching TV while on the phone was incredibly rude. Eating while on the phone was only acceptable if you were in a huge rush or in transit. "We're having dinner, call you later."

There's just a new "always connected" group chat mentality for zoomers now where sitting silently in a 2-person call is the same as sitting in an IRC chat with 2 people, waiting for more to show up or whatever, I guess. It makes me make the "boomer Karen sees someone with a visible tattoo" face, and I don't know if I'm the Seymour Skinner here, or if no, it is the CHILDREN who are wrong..

Because it really also bugged me when I glanced at the 19yo's phone on his desk while he played and the person he was in facetime with was in the act of driving a car.

So, my GF's adult kids (19 and 23) do this... thing... that strikes me as really odd. Just wanted to know if anybody else has seen this sort of thing.

They'll call someone, like, facetime, or regular phone, or even discord video call, whatever, on their phone. And after a brief few sentences back and forth, they'll just.... leave the call running while they do other things. Laundry. Play Fortnite. Eat dinner. Whatever. They just keep the call going forever. They both do this when they call their mother, but also I've noticed that the younger (who has still been living with his mother) will do it with other friends/family as well. Start a call on his phone, then watch TV or play fortnite with the call still in session. Sometimes talking in voice chat and then having to let the person on the phone know "oh I was talking in game chat" to clarify.

It just always strikes me as really bizarre and not a small amount discourteous. Usually if neither I nor the other party has said anything in over 10 seconds, I will say "Ok cool talk to you later" and begin the social steps of politely terminating a call that has run out of things to say. But not these folks.

So I just thought I'd have a reality check with the rest of you guys before I started down the rabbit hole of figuring out exactly who is having the Poop Knife moment here.
When I was a kid, I called a friend's house (landline) and afterwards I didn't hang up the receiver properly. So, every time they picked up they could hear our household. The next day at school the friend said, "you're mom yells...a lot".

Fun times

Maybe it's the modern equivalent of just hanging out and doing nothing. But since people don't hang out in person as much, they just do it electronically. People of the age you're referring to spent a large portion of their socially-formative years in covid lockdown.

Hanging out in Discord voice channels while doing my own thing is pretty normal, but I only do that with friends, not with a family call, I'd rather get those over with as fast as possible. My teen will sit in voice calls with friends for hours while doing schoolwork etc.

GasBandit

Staff member
Hanging out in Discord voice channels while doing my own thing is pretty normal, but I only do that with friends, not with a family call, I'd rather get those over with as fast as possible. My teen will sit in voice calls with friends for hours while doing schoolwork etc.
Yeah, if it were a voice channel, I wouldn't have questioned it. but plainly this was a person-to-person call. Just.... two people on a single, two party video call... doing separate things and only occasionally talking to each other.

It especially bugs me when they call their mom while we're watching a movie, so she can sit there and try to hear the movie over her son's mechanical keyboard clicking on her phone.

My teenage daughter does the same thing, but only with her friends. I don't say anything about it when she's talking in her room with someone from school, but I don't let her do it to family members (like when my mom calls). She gets annoyed when I tell her to focus on the call, but she seems to get it. And I think @Tinwhistler is right; it's their equivalent of just hanging out. You're not wrong, and neither are they. It's just a different approach to socializing.

I used to do this as a kid over roger wilco. It was the day before discord group chats. Just a way to hang out with someone while doing other stuff.

I guarantee if the mom said "Hey I'm watching a movie so I'll let you go" or even just hung up they wouldn't take offense to it.

To be a tad more specific, they're oyster omelette flavored chips, meant to evoke the flavor of an oyster omelette, which is a traditional night market snack in Taiwan. It's made with oysters, eggs, sweet potato flour, and a sweet and savory sauce. Green vegetables such as cabbage leaves, parsley, or scallions can also be added.

A properly made oyster omelette is incredibly visually unappealing, but it tastes amazing.

1702865944092.jpeg

My job lets me roll over one week of PTO a year. Due to the upcoming child, it seems like the wise thing to do. Also due to some scheduled things at work, I have some days I have to work. But I’m one day short of being able to take off every day the last two weeks.

My end of year schedule is that I will take a 4 day weekend, work Wednesday the 20th, then come back after new years.

That one day is going to be the least productive day of my life.
God help me. I don’t want to do this.

I have this morning and tomorrow morning in the office, then Sunday's two services then I'm off for the rest of the year. It's effectively 2 days before the "big day" and I feel like I should be running around like a chicken with my head cut off, yet... it's quiet. I've done all the home visits I have been asked to do (and then some), the services are all set up and printed and the dozen (literally) different readers found, confirmed, and confirmed again, and I have one meeting/conversation scheduled for tomorrow morning that requires no prep work and no follow-up. No-one's in hospital, I've got one person a month after major surgery, but I talked to them yesterday and they're fine. There's no more outreach drop-offs, nothing more is being collected.

I could work on the course material for a class I'm running in the winter. But it's 90% done already anyways, and there's not much point in doing more until I see how it's going to go.

I could call a few more folks, and probably will in a little bit, but even that won't take more than 30-45 minutes.

It's weirdly and unsettling-ly quiet.

GasBandit

Staff member
Somewhere I read, maybe it was here? I can't remember... but I read that, by D&D rules.... Doctor Strange, Sorcerer Supreme, is a wizard... and Harry Potter of the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry is a Sorcerer.

Funny, never thought about it but yeah, Harry Potter wizards are all D&D sorcerers right down to despite having the innate born in ability to wield reality altering magic powers, they still need to go through ritual and practiced somatic movements to cast pre-determined spells.