I don't know why this picture on Blizzard's launcher bothers me so much, but it does.

1700673158138.png

This is NOT the fist you make when punching someone. This is the fist you make when you're holding the hilt of a weapon which you're using to stab someone in the side, sure. Or possibly it's the fist of someone holding a small rock or other object to make your fist heavier. But making this fist and hitting someone with it is just asking to get your index finger broken and immediately taking yourself out of the fight.

--Patrick

I took martial arts for only about a year, and even then it was one of the first things they taught us.
Mostly my comment was about how an artist must've thought, "Eh, I'll just delete the sword or whatever from this reference pic and turn it sideways, it'll be fiiiiine" like there aren't at least a billion easily-accessible pictures of Jackie Chan out there to use instead.

--Patrick

I took martial arts for only about a year, and even then it was one of the first things they taught us.
Mostly my comment was about how an artist must've thought, "Eh, I'll just delete the sword or whatever from this reference pic and turn it sideways, it'll be fiiiiine" like there aren't at least a billion easily-accessible pictures of Jackie Chan out there to use instead.

--Patrick
I’m more willing to bet it was “boss guy” went to graphics department and said we have already bought this picture of hairy guy with sword, make it so he’s punching something instead, but don’t spend much time or any money on it.

Guy at work jumped of the roof, killing himself. I work on the ground floor. He landed like 4 meters away from my window. Didnt notice it since i had headphones on. Saw a large group of people outside my window, stood up to see what was up and saw the corpse, head lying in a pool of blood. Saw the guy a couple of times, when i was smoking on the roof, but never talked. Took the rest of the day off.

Yeah. We had grief counceling visit us. It was jarring, something you see on the news or in the movies. I knew how he looked like, when he was alive but he lookes so different when he was lying on the ground. He landed on his back, so i was looking right at his lifeless eyes. The people who were working directly with him were hit the hardest.
What probably shook me the hardest was, that we have two roofs where we can smoke. They are locked via fingerprint acess and one of them, the machine is broken. You can go out, but not back in. He choose that roof. As if he symbolically told him self, there is no way back.

I'm at my office now and I'm overhearing another professor dress down students who got caught cheating. Working at an HBCU, I've noticed that students try to get sympathy from younger white and Hispanic professors. They don't bother with Asian professors because a lot of our Asian faculty don't speak much English. If a student tries to manipulate a black professor they're very likely to get burned down. All faculty had to work their butts off to get here, and black faculty had to put in even more effort because, in a primarily white field, the unfair assumption is they got into grad school through affirmative action. The older ones remember having crosses burned on their lawn for daring to do better than their white neighbors. When a black professor catches a cheater, there is no mercy. Their attitude seems to be, "I pushed myself past all that prejudice and you've got a much easier time yet you're squandering it." And I thought I was tough on plagiarists.

Edit: Before my office hours were over, this professor made two students cry because they realized their schemes didn't work. Awesome.

Last edited:
I bought a nice stationary bike on Cyber Monday. Then I woke up sober on Tuesday morning and canceled that shit.

Kinda sad because it was a great deal, but I knew I am not committed enough to actually ride enough to make the purchase viable.

Dave

Staff member
Just found the greatest Twitch channel ever. It's called WildLifeCam. It's pretty much what you think but there's an added twist. If you sub or donate or give bits it triggers a machine that spits out peanuts. The guy who owns it also regularly puts out treats like grapes, dog biscuits, and fruit cups. At night it's mostly raccoons but during the day I've seen birds, squirrels, and an opossum.

Im not Christian so I don’t have nostalgia for any of the big Christmas movies. After a few years of being with someone who regularly wants to watch them, I have come to the conclusion that the best one is Muppet Christmas Carol.
Gremlins is my personal favorite but it's also not really a "traditional" Christmas movie.

Also, Muppet Family Christmas is great if you've never seen it. And it's available to watch on YouTube, too! (The DVD releases haven't been great because rights issues with some songs means parts of the special were cut.)

Me "Can we buy gimp locally or do I have to go online?"

=sounds of people backing away and closing doors=

Me "...so online?"

Im not Christian so I don’t have nostalgia for any of the big Christmas movies. After a few years of being with someone who regularly wants to watch them, I have come to the conclusion that the best one is Muppet Christmas Carol.
That's a great one. We also like A Christmas Story. It works from a kids perspective and an adult one.

Home Alone also gets played because I love John Candy; his role is small but mighty. As a kid or adult, I can't relate to the absolute wealth the McAlisters must have had. 1% for sure.

I'm all about the Claymation Christmas Celebration.
It has a silly Siskel & Ebert parody, jaw-dropping animation, musical genius, and plenty of comedy.

--Patrick

It’s funny because I wasn’t going to start anything but I think that’s firmly a movie that people only like because of nostalgia.
I didn't see it until I was in my late 20s, but since you weren't raised with Christmas traditions, it may not hit the same. It's not really sappy nor does it hit you over the head with a message.

My job lets me roll over one week of PTO a year. Due to the upcoming child, it seems like the wise thing to do. Also due to some scheduled things at work, I have some days I have to work. But I’m one day short of being able to take off every day the last two weeks.

My end of year schedule is that I will take a 4 day weekend, work Wednesday the 20th, then come back after new years.

That one day is going to be the least productive day of my life.

Sorry my PTO goes into sick time if I do not use it on a on a calendar year. I have to burn "skeleton crew days" first. So I was able to save up over 1100 hours of sick time letting my vacation days roll over.

It pisses my new boss off. That I can call in sick when ever I want to. For a good 3+ years.

Sorry my PTO goes into sick time if I do not use it on a on a calendar year. I have to burn "skeleton crew days" first. So I was able to save up over 1100 hours of sick time letting my vacation days roll over.

It pisses my new boss off. That I can call in sick when ever I want to. For a good 3+ years.
Do you get paid that out if you leave the company?