Eh, if a chef isn't willing to make concessions for customers, he's an asshole.
I saw a youtube video with this famous sushi chef, and they asked him the proper way to eat sushi in a high end restaurant. And his response was "Honestly, if you're in my restaurant? The proper way to eat sushi is however you want. You paid for it."

Yeah, I've watched Robert Irvine and Gordo both chew into people the same way on their shows. Both of them saying something to the effect of it doesn't matter how many stars my restaurant has, if a customer asks for a burger, we make them a fucking burger.

I'm still with the waitress, if it's a nice place order anything else but the steak.
Well the waitress wasn’t the one with the problem. She made it sound like she knows from experience that that would be the chefs response.

Also I had some of her steak, and while it would’ve been better at medium-rare, it was still very good.

But I was thinking about my dad who just likes well-done meat. I think if that happened to him he’d tell the waitress to go fuck herself.

Yeah, I've watched Robert Irvine and Gordo both chew into people the same way on their shows. Both of them saying something to the effect of it doesn't matter how many stars my restaurant has, if a customer asks for a burger, we make them a fucking burger.
In my younger years, me and my friend went out to eat at a super fancy place to celebrate our patent awards. He brought his dad, who was a really salt-of-the-earth good ol' boy from a tiny farming town.

His dad asked for ketchup for his steak. And while my friend was mortified, the waiter was totally gracious and brought him some. Which means they had ketchup on hand for just such a request. People like what they like.

I'm reminded of the time that some blogger/critic/whatever came into one of Gordon Ramsay's restaurant and ordered a well done steak, and then was unhappy that it didn't look as succulent as it might have. Later, he was being interviewed on TV and the presenter was trying to 'gotcha' him by showing him this review and asking if it was 'typical' of what he serves in his restaurants. And he basically said "They ordered it well done. What did they expect? If someone orders shoe leather, I'm going to give them shoe leather. But they can't really complain about me giving them what they ordered."

So at the grocery store, some young goth kids passed me as I was leaving, both of them giving me that look, like I was some regular northern asshole ready to judge them. I'm used to it.

Meanwhile I'm blasting Type O Negative's Everything Dies in my headphones at that exact moment, with a black grocery bag full of depression junk food.

I get it kids.

GasBandit

Staff member
So at the grocery store, some young goth kids passed me as I was leaving, both of them giving me that look, like I was some regular northern asshole ready to judge them. I'm used to it.

Meanwhile I'm blasting Type O Negative's Everything Dies in my headphones at that exact moment, with a black grocery bag full of depression junk food.

I get it kids.
1686023017103.png

I'm on Day 1 of a 6-day vacation. I guess it technically started last night when I got off work, biked home in the rain, and then lost power until late in the evening. Now it's supposed to rain all week.

I get the feeling there won't be much biking on this vacation.

I'm on Day 1 of a 6-day vacation. I guess it technically started last night when I got off work, biked home in the rain, and then lost power until late in the evening. Now it's supposed to rain all week.

I can empathize -- the rainy season is starting here. It used to be that you could plan around the summer rain since it was all ocean-effect precipitation. Now, it is a bit more of a roll of the dice.

On the bright side, rain means less fire.

I think I'm going to learn the Cree rain dance.

You guys should send some of that rain here. We haven't had rain in ...possibly weeks? and things are getting crunchy.

Taiwan could use some more rain too.

We had a bit of a dry spell the last few months, and several of Taiwan's reservoirs fell to dangerously low levels. The lowest was the reservoir that serves the Tainan region (where my wife's family lives), which fell to around merely 5% of its capacity. Other reservoirs in Taiwan weren't doing great either, hovering around the 30% to 50% mark, but it was the Tainan one that was getting really low.

Then we had some rain in the last couple of weeks. Most of the reservoirs have received significant intakes of water, going up to 80% or higher. But the rains have stubbornly avoided Tainan, so the reservoir in Tainan has only gone up, last I checked, to 8.5%. Apparently the heavens don't like Tainan very much.

Best we can do is smoke.
And how! We got your delivery. :confused:

Our air quality because of the fires has been horrible since yesterday. They cancelled all the Little League games tonight because the air is so bad.

Don't get me wrong, Canadians are having it way worse than us right now. It's just surprising and sad how far this is reaching.

"somehow, it was the Democrats' fault"
Kid "Mommy why can't I breathe?"

Mommy "Because it stopped snowing in Canada. And without the protective layer of snow all the Christmas trees caught on fire and burned to the ground. So no tree this year."

Kid "But Mommy can we get a plastic tree?"

Mommy "No Biden and Obama made them illegal, so Christmas is cancelled."

Kid "Whaaaaagh! Demonkrats are mean "

Youtube made thumbnails in my sub page twice as large for no discernible reason. It just takes longer to navigate now.

GOOD CHANGE.

GasBandit

Staff member

I am the textbook definition of a single person who has a local mode of the Crestron TXRX pair

I guess I've been texting about work a lot lately.