A

Anonymous

Anonymous

My brother has just been diagnosed with prostate cancer...and I can't bring myself to give a shit. I mean, I don't NECESSARILY wish any pain on the guy, but I'm not entirely against it, either. I realize that probably makes me a bit of a monster, but he's never done anything to warrant compassion.

Dave

Staff member
New bed bought. After delivery, taxes, etc. it came to $2200. My wife was very, VERY hesitant about buying it because of the price but I informed her I'd already done my research and had budgeted $2400. I didn't go for the $800 cooling blankets, though. Really COOL $800 blankets if you'll excuse the pun. Not sure they are worth $800 but they are very neat. Wish we'd have been able to afford the next step up for beds but it just wasn't in our budget. We could have gotten it, mind you, but it would have left us less money for our trip and a few others things I wanted to get.

https://www.sleepnumber.com/sn/en/beds/Performance-Series-Beds/p/p5

Most of the chain hotels in the area no longer rent to locals, ours included. An online reservation with a local phone number but no address popped up on our system last night. Sure enough, it was a 20-something girl with a local address and (likely) her BF. I tried to explain that I couldn't honor the reservation and she'd have to take the matter up with the online provider. She didn't take it well. Didn't get loud, but basically still threw a fit. She called the reservation company, who then called me. I explained the situation to the online rep, and they offered to credit the girl for a stay elsewhere. She refused.

We do allow locals in emergency situations, like power outages or flooding. "Pregnant and nowhere to stay" is not an emergency.

Apparently she started recording me (without my permission, I might add) towards the end of the incident, and posted the video to facebook looking for sympathy. She didn't get it.

I went on the internet and found this:

In West Virginia it is a felony punishable by fine and/or imprisonment to record an oral or phone communication without the consent of at least one party, or with criminal or tortious intent. Victims may also seek civil damages.
WV Code § 62-1D-3 (definition & penalty), § 62-1D-12 (civil damages)

Tortious intent, you say? She did remark more than a couple times that she was gonna sue. That sound like tortious intent to me.

Last edited:
Most of the chain hotels in the area no longer rent to locals, ours included. An online reservation with a local phone number but no address popped up on our system last night. Sure enough, it was a 20-something girl with a local address and (likely) her BF. I tried to explain that I couldn't honor the reservation and she'd have to take the matter up with the online provider. She didn't take it well. Didn't get loud, but basically still threw a fit. She called the reservation company, who then called me. I explained the situation to the online rep, and they offered to credit the girl for a stay elsewhere. She refused.

We do allow locals in emergency situations, like power outages or flooding. "Pregnant and nowhere to stay" is not an emergency.

Apparently she started recording me (without my permission, I might add) towards the end of the incident, and posted the video to facebook looking for sympathy. She didn't get it.

I went on the internet and found this:

In West Virginia it is a felony punishable by fine and/or imprisonment to record an oral or phone communication without the consent of at least one party, or with criminal or tortious intent. Victims may also seek civil damages.
WV Code § 62-1D-3 (definition & penalty), § 62-1D-12 (civil damages)

Tortious intent, you say? She did remark more than a couple times that she was gonna sue. That sound like tortious intent to me.
In her defense, if I made a reservation, had cash money in hand, and was told that the hotel wouldn't honor it, I'd be pretty pissed too.

In her defense, if I made a reservation, had cash money in hand, and was told that the hotel wouldn't honor it, I'd be pretty pissed too.
Cash is another thing entirely (PROTIP: don't use it to get a room.) We've informed the reservation sites about out policy multiple times, but since many, if not most, of the reservations arrive without addresses, we have no way of knowing if they're local or not until they're standing in front of us. And we have a big sign at the desk announcing the policy.

Cash is another thing entirely (PROTIP: don't use it to get a room.) We've informed the reservation sites about out policy multiple times, but since many, if not most, of the reservations arrive without addresses, we have no way of knowing if they're local or not until they're standing in front of us. And we have a big sign at the desk announcing the policy.
Cash in hand is more of a saying. I'm obviously not in the hotel industry, but purely as a consumer, if I was willing to pay for a room rental, made a reservation, and then got turned away at the desk, I'd be very upset. Your business obviously has their policy and there's nothing you can do about it, so you're stuck having to deliver the bad news, I'm just saying I understand her frustration and would also vent and share about it.

Yeah. I can kinda understand the policy, and obviously you can't do anything about it, but if I arrive at a hotel after making a reservation through, say, booking.com, and they refused me, I'd be mighty pissed, too. And I'd wonder if it isn't illegal to discriminate based on home location. Which it probably isn't.

First day as Hailey at work.

I've already spoken to management, and I have so many people going "if anyone gives you a problem, come to me immediately" that I'm not sure who I'm supposed to go to. :D
It went fine, but I lost many years off my life when my computer designated Halforums as a health risk.

I guess I'll note: my coworkers have barely looked at or spoken to me all week.

But I'm okay with that :p
Giving a guy the stink eye -> OK
Giving a girl the stink eye -> harassment and expect a HR complaint
Stare at a guy until he backs off and leaves you alone -> OK
Stare at a girl until she gets uncomfortable and leaves you alone -> harassment and expect a HR complaint
Talk dirty to a guy -> OK
Talk dirty to a girl -> harassment and expect a HR complaint

Of course they haven't looked at or spoken to you!

(this is intended as a joke; not at your expense or being discriminatory towards trans people or women in general. It's not meant as a political statement or attack. Warranty void where prohibited. If you'er going to kill me, please leave the face intact)

Scotland ain't gonna like that!
Scotland doesn't like things in general. Scots are natural enemies with everyone and everything. Like Englishmen and Scots. Or Welshmen and Scots. Or Japanese and Scots. Or Scots and other Scots. Damn Scots, they ruined Scotland.

The Scots will actually probably laugh while they drink their Whisky.
Depending on what whisky you're drinking it may have been matured in casks previously used to mature bourbon. I'm not sure what (if any) whiskies use Jim Bean casks but I know Glenmorangie for example is matured in ex Jack Daniels casks.

Edit: Dammit HCGLNS you cursed ninja!

So my grandfather from my mothers side died last friday. Late state COPD with a severe case of lung infection.

I should probably feel sadder about it as I am but my grandfather was not really the "grandfathery" type of a person and was really indifferent to my siblings, me and my mother.

But I will go to the funeral.