How it is possible that there is a little girl makes me lose my patience (big time) and in the same time she is wonderful and perfect and I love her more than my own life.

How it is possible that there is a little girl makes me lose my patience (big time) and in the same time she is wonderful and perfect and I love her more than my own life.
Because it is difficult to balance what you want for her with allowing her to make her own path.

--Patrick

Because when we became parents, that was one of their factory settings. I have yet to find in the kid manual where you can turn it off the first part.

Because when we became parents, that was one of their factory settings. I have yet to find in the kid manual where you can turn it off the first part.
There used to be some aftermarket mods that could do that but they don't let you lobotomize kids anymore

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Oh boy or girl. My wife is late this month. It's only been a few day, but it's got us a bit nervous. We've decided we didn't think we should have more, but didn't do anything permanent. OTC tests this weekend! BTW, this isn't Stienman.

Dave

Staff member
Not sure where to put this one. It's win and loss and everything in between.

A couple years ago a job opened up here at work. I think I might have talked about it. I was asked to go for it but didn't because my best friend here at work - John - went for it. I withdrew my resume and John got the job. Soon after I was moved into my current position, which is nothing if not tenuous.

Tuesday, John was fired. So on the one hand my best work friend is now gone - and I don't HAVE many close work friends - but his position is back open. So I'm turning in my resume for it again. It's a lot more responsibility and probably the same pay, but it's a steady position. My hours would change and I'd have to start wearing slacks again instead of the jeans I wear every day. But that job is a stepping stone here at the University. Right after that would be the Registrar.

I feel guilty because it's essentially vulturing in on my friend's misfortune, but I gotta do it.

I feel guilty because it's essentially vulturing in on my friend's misfortune, but I gotta do it.
Assuming you didn't intentionally get him fired so you had the opportunity to go for the job, nothing to feel guilty about. Someone has to get it regardless.

Dave

Staff member
Assuming you didn't intentionally get him fired so you had the opportunity to go for the job, nothing to feel guilty about. Someone has to get it regardless.
I didn't even know it happened until he called me. He's still in shock. I am not sure exactly what happened but he says it's bullshit. His boss's boss told him to appeal as he has a case. But he wouldn't get the same job and he'd probably be given a desk in the corner and 6 months. So he's not going to bother.

To give you an idea, he's the only person here I eat lunch with. Either he and I head out or I eat at my desk. He's really my only real close friend here at work. It's terrible.

You already turned down a shot at the job once to let your mate go for it, you don't need to turn it down twice. I'm sure if this guy is really your friend he'd rather see you in there than some random jerk.

The only reason I see not to go for it is if whatever bullshit reason got your friend fired might hit you as well. Why did this job become available 6 months ago? Did the previous person get promoted / retire or were they fired for no good reason as well?

Dave

Staff member
People got promoted out of it. And I'm on very, VERY good terms with the people in charge of the area.

Go for it. If you feel it’s more stable than where you are now and if it will make you more happy than your current situation, you should do it.

You were really cool to step aside once. That’s something that most people don’t do.

Dave

Staff member
Yesterday, highs. Today, lows. My car just died. I'm waiting on a callback from the towing company. Not going in the rant thread until I find out what the problem is. I'm thinking starter.

At the DMV and I'm about to vibrate into another dimension from shaking nerves. Julie was supposed to be with me but it didn't work out that way blaaaaaaah

Dave

Staff member
Just applied for a new position at my work. If I get it that means a lot of changes for the Dave-man. Less flexibility of schedule, more responsibility. My schedule would go back to rush hour times which would really suck. It's got a lot of downsides, but two really major upsides.

First, the position I'm in is very low on workload right now with none in the foreseeable future, so that makes both me and my manager very nervous. Second, the position I'm applying for is a springboard to bigger and better things. I know of four people who have had the job. One is now the Registrar, one is the Associate Registrar, and the other is an AVP. I know I said four, but the guy who got let go for harassment doesn't count.