Dave

Staff member
Boy my email pissed someone off! My boss got a call from the boss of IT. Good thing I told him it was coming. So he had a "talk" with me. I let him know that I'm not sorry and I'd do it again.

Oh, and found out that this got stopped at the 1st level help desk and not forwarded on to IT at all. But it's being referred there now. So you might not like my email but you're damned well doing what I told you to. Now go whine to your mommy or do your fucking job. I don't care which.

So, a couple of weeks ago we stopped in OKC at the Memorial there. Across the street from it is a statue.

Every time I come across my photo, all I can see is face palm.

Got two weird phone calls overnight from a really strange phone number. Caller ID had it as an 11-digit number, which screams "SPOOFED!". But what was weird was the calls were at 12:27 AM and 1:54 AM AZT...

2-223-778-4765

Got two weird phone calls overnight from a really strange phone number. Caller ID had it as an 11-digit number, which screams "SPOOFED!". But what was weird was the calls were at 12:27 AM and 1:54 AM AZT...

2-223-778-4765
Mali?

--Patrick

2-223-778-4765
It's one of those scam calls. They try to make you call them back and your phone bill will exploded.

I get a lot of the scam calls that bounce their number to look like it's coming from somewhere in town, i.e. the first 6 numbers are identical to my own. My general rule is that any number that calls and isn't identified by name goes directly to voicemail. If they leave a message, I'll call them back immediately or as soon as I see it. I know not everyone can do this depending on what they need their cell for, but it usually works out pretty well.

I get a lot of the scam calls that bounce their number to look like it's coming from somewhere in town, i.e. the first 6 numbers are identical to my own. My general rule is that any number that calls and isn't identified by name goes directly to voicemail. If they leave a message, I'll call them back immediately or as soon as I see it. I know not everyone can do this depending on what they need their cell for, but it usually works out pretty well.
That's pretty much my experience and how I handle it.
In fact, my ringer has been on silent for about 2 years.

My general rule is that any number that calls and isn't identified by name goes directly to voicemail. If they leave a message, I'll call them back immediately or as soon as I see it.
This has been my standard since I got a cell phone. Seriously, if you don't leave a message OR you aren't in my contacts, how important can your message be?
my ringer has been on silent for about 2 years.
I came up with the following strategy, though so far I haven't implemented it.
Make a ringtone that is nothing but silence. Sample Cage's 4' 33" to be all hip about it if you want to. Make that your default ringtone.
Then go through and assign custom ringtones for the people in your contacts list.
Problem solved! Phone now only ever rings when it's important, otherwise it just lights up for about 15sec and then goes back to sleep.

--Patrick

I came up with the following strategy, though so far I haven't implemented it.
Make a ringtone that is nothing but silence. Sample Cage's 4' 33" to be all hip about it if you want to. Make that your default ringtone.
Then go through and assign custom ringtones for the people in your contacts list.
Problem solved! Phone now only ever rings when it's important, otherwise it just lights up for about 15sec and then goes back to sleep.
Mr. Z does this since his work phone is also his only cell phone. I used to do something similar on my previous phone. The only reason I don't do it now is because a)my phone is in my purse way more than my pocket, so vibrate doesn't help, and b) with Li'l Z still so young, I have, on a few rare occasions gotten calls regarding him from alternate #'s/lines that I didn't have in my contacts.

As someone who worked in Wireless for several years, I want to remind everyone that you can always call your mobile carrier and ask them to turn off auto-acceptance of international fees and other 'premium charge' options.

This was on my landline. (Pause here for the snarky looks and commentary.) I have NoMoRobo on that line, courtesy of Cox (through whom I've bundled phone/cable/internet - second pause for snarky looks and commentary). This one confuses NMR because it rings only once, preventing it from going through the pre-screen.

Dave

Staff member
My voice mail message literally says, "If I don't recognize the number I won't answer. If you don't leave a message I won't call you back."

My voice mail message literally says, "If I don't recognize the number I won't answer. If you don't leave a message I won't call you back."
I actually considered doing that, but then that would give them info about who owns the line.

—Patrick

Yeah, I leave it at the default message on purpose so they don't even know my gender, whether I'm a person/company/fax, nothing.

--Patrick