So what you're saying is that while I was in the bathroom, mom came home, walked past the bathroom, took a chair from the dining room and used it to reach the snacks in the pantry and then left without being heard by anyone.
Clearly either she's a ninja, or you were making a lot of noise in that bathroom.

I don't like cupcakes.
They're basically just little cakes, but more dry. And I don't like cake.

Especially not chocolate cake. And especially not with chocolate chips.

If I ever find myself in possession of such a nasty thing, you guys are free to come get it. First come first served ;)

I am not a fan of "forced" socializing with coworkers. I will never understand why coworkers want to spend more time together outside of work. So far, I have been able to avoid it, but I know that it will look bad if I never go to after work stuff.

If I've become close friends with someone at work, that's one thing. But I used to love when my job was only 3 miles from the house, and I could go home every day and spend my lunch hour with my dog and not my coworkers.

GasBandit

Staff member
If I've become close friends with someone at work, that's one thing. But I used to love when my job was only 3 miles from the house, and I could go home every day and spend my lunch hour with my dog and not my coworkers.
Oh yeah, I hear ya. I work less than 2 miles from home, and it used to be very nice to go home for lunch and come back in a much better mood.

Yeah, I don't even like to go out to lunch with my coworkers.

Partly because all the hot female coworkers have left, but still.

I feel like going home during lunch would just make going back to work more unpleasant. I'm currently in a situation where I can go home if I need to, but I'd be spending half my break driving.

GasBandit

Staff member
I feel like going home during lunch would just make going back to work more unpleasant. I'm currently in a situation where I can go home if I need to, but I'd be spending half my break driving.
It depends on who's waiting for you when you get there.

Even with the drive only being 5 minutes, there was many a time it was torment to have to come back to work.

I love all my direct team like family. We do a team lunch every Friday and I look forward to it all week. We often go out together during the week for lunch informally too.

That said, we don't really hang out together outside of work beyond gaming a bit with one another.

Last edited:
For the sake of my mental health, I'm going to try something: leave my gaming PC off all week. Instead of sitting in front of it all the time, I'll try doing other things.

I'm realizing I have an addiction to video games and find I spend far too many unhealthy hours playing them, especially when I'm severely depressed.

Part of me is tempted to sell my gaming rig and maybe my PS4 (I only bought it for Spider-Man and I platinum'd that already.

I could use the money to buy a new laptop to maybe get back into writing. I've been considering getting one of those hybrid laptop/tablet things or maybe a Microsoft Surface Pro.

For the sake of my mental health, I'm going to try something: leave my gaming PC off all week. Instead of sitting in front of it all the time, I'll try doing other things.

I'm realizing I have an addiction to video games and find I spend far too many unhealthy hours playing them, especially when I'm severely depressed.

Part of me is tempted to sell my gaming rig and maybe my PS4 (I only bought it for Spider-Man and I platinum'd that already.

I could use the money to buy a new laptop to maybe get back into writing. I've been considering getting one of those hybrid laptop/tablet things or maybe a Microsoft Surface Pro.
Honestly, I think giving yourself a break is a great idea. It can be addictive and if your find yourself spending more time with gaming than doing the things you need to do, you're making an excellent, smart choice.

I can see how if the rest of your life is being difficult, the easy escapism and quick mood uplift that gaming (usually) provide can become, well, Skinner Box levels of rewarding.

--Patrick

Last edited:
Yup. A friend of mine (who funny enough works for a mobile game dev in the U.K.) describes it as the idea of "fake rewards" or "fake accomplishments."

It FEELS like you're accomplishing something and it activates something in that part of your brain, but it's fabricated.

GasBandit

Staff member

My previous laptop that I bought in 2007 still works, it's just sitting on my shelf doing nothing. You can have it if you want.