It's not exactly like that fell out of someone's laptop bag. They've GOT to be able to get some idea of who brought it in (if they have surveillance tapes to review, that is).

--Patrick

if they have surveillance tapes to review, that is
My guess is that if they haven't had access to the room for two months (lost/nonreturned server room key) and nothing came up until now to enter the room, they probably don't have surveillance. This isn't exactly a five nines operation...

Dave

Staff member
I would think the IT guy they fired is going to be getting a visit from some uniforms if he hasn't already.

Dave

Staff member
I really wish I knew how to code. I'd love to turn my RPG into an actual game, but I lack the talent.

Dave

Staff member
Kati wishes I knew how to code and that she’d love me to turn my RPG into a game? That’s so sweet!

I won't post this in any win or victory thread yet, but...

I might be gainfully employed soon. I went to a job fair last week and heard back from Scotiabank regarding a call center job. $17.50 an hour, full benefits starting right at training, consistent shifts.

So cross everything you have, people.
Yes, even that.
Ew, no, not that.
Wow, you can cross that? Call me!

Last edited:
Comedians: are they born or made?

I've been watching a fair amount of SNL lately and it's made me notice how NOT funny I am, nor have I ever been. But I wish I was. So bad. Do you think anyone can learn to be at least somewhat funny? Or are people born with a comedic beat and they know what to say and when? They just get it.

I'm curious to see what ya'll think.

GasBandit

Staff member

I've been watching a fair amount of SNL lately and it's made me notice how NOT funny I am, nor have I ever been. But I wish I was. So bad. Do you think anyone can learn to be at least somewhat funny? Or are people born with a comedic beat and they know what to say and when? They just get it.

I think they're made. Mostly through excruciating suffering, forcing them to learn comedy as a defense/coping mechanism.

I think a person can learn the structure of a joke and how to put it all together to make a story/set. They write books on it. Does that make the person funny? Maybe.
It's the same for music or painting. You don't have to have musical talent to learn how to play the guitar.

Talent just makes it easier to learn... and maybe makes you stand out a bit once you've learned everything you can. But even Hendrix had to learn to use a guitar.

Dave

Staff member

As the resident expert here...both. Some comedy skills can be learned and some are just pure, raw talent. Take Robin Williams, for example. That dude was an improv genius. That kind of raw talent can't be learned. Stand-up is a good mix of learned and talent. You can't be untalented and be a good stand-up. You can figure out joke structure but you have to have timing and know how to read a room.

Sketch comedy can be wholly learned and you don't HAVE to have natural talent, although it does help.

Like everything it's a talent that can be improved through effort. Although people born with the knack for it *will* find it easier than others. And the type of humour you're best suited for may not necessarily be the one-liner form.

I think they're made. Mostly through excruciating suffering, forcing them to learn comedy as a defense/coping mechanism.
See @Dave all those times we mocked you for not being funny we were just trying to help you learn through suffering!