Today I was eating an apple and had a small piece of it lodge into my sinus. I spent a good minute trying to sneeze it out, only for to fall into my trachea after getting it out of my nose. Cue me sneezing then coughing violently as though my body is destroying itself. I think reality is trying to kill me, or just tell me it doesn't like me. :(

Today I was eating an apple and had a small piece of it lodge into my sinus. I spent a good minute trying to sneeze it out, only for to fall into my trachea after getting it out of my nose. Cue me sneezing then coughing violently as though my body is destroying itself. I think reality is trying to kill me, or just tell me it doesn't like me. :(
Either that or reality is telling you that you should stick to oranges from now on.

Made a good 80 something bucks in comics,photo-ops, and 1-minute art page sales! Not a bad day.

ALSO-done bringing the posters, no-one buys them. Like, seriously no-one, and I'm kinda stuck with them.

Somebody ask me to migrate an excel file (10000 rows, 600 columns) to an existing sql server 2000 database. Is not as simple as simply upload the file to the db, but I will need to put data from a single sheet to several tables, format it and the result has to be compatible with the sofware using the db. They don't have documentation for the db but at least the fields names are descriptive). How much would this cost in usa?

Bleh.

So by the time I get to Bed Bath & Beyond, my motivation for the whole tea endeavor is sinking fast, and other goings on turning my mood to crap. Teapots? Not a one to be had. The good kettles are starting around $45. The ones cheaper than that are just that. Cheap. Thin steel on the bottom that pops like a food jar security button. And up to 1/3 1-star ratings on Amazon. Target is not much better. I eventually find my way to the local tea specialty shop, where they have everything I could need or want. At prices that make me want to forget the whole thing.

Anyway, I get back home still slightly interested and with a tin of Twinings English Breakfast tea in the kitchen. I eventually motivate myself to order a 4-cup Brown Betty pot from Amazon and go for 1-day shipping. Still about half what the specialty shop charges for their pots.

Still need/want a kettle. :p
I must be doing it wrong, all I need is a source of hot water and I can get tea going.

I have a pretty decent kettle that I got from WalMart. The kettle will last forever. But the whistle and lid are cheap plastic that will fail in a few years. Still not bad for less than $30.

GasBandit

Staff member
Me at the grocery store: "I refuse to pay more than 99 cents for a 2 liter bottle of soda."

Me at a restaurant: "2 bucks for a fountain drink? No problem!"

Somebody ask me to migrate an excel file (10000 rows, 600 columns) to an existing sql server 2000 database. Is not as simple as simply upload the file to the db, but I will need to put data from a single sheet to several tables, format it and the result has to be compatible with the sofware using the db. They don't have documentation for the db but at least the fields names are descriptive). How much would this cost in usa?
A lot. It'll depend on how many databases, and how complex the data is. This is the type of work my father does for banks, when a bank merges with another bank they choose one bank as the main database, and then they have to spend a great deal of money and time making it so that first there's a way for administrative users to access all accounts, and second migrate the data over or build connectors so no one needs to know or care which database the customer is in.

You typically have to run the data against a test database, then test the operation of the software to make sure nothing broke. Without proper documentation your job is significantly harder, strange character sets, odd usage (phone numbers with or without hyphens, parens, etc), whether name prefixes and suffixes are in a separate field, etc, etc, etc all make this a much more difficult task than you might think in the beginning.

Then it sounds like you have a normalized database, and data which isn't normalized to enter. This means that you might have a dozen lines that relate to the same entity, and should go into one table as one row, and another table as 12 rows, and a third table as a few different rows, all related to each other. But what do you do when it's clear that these twelve rows are the same entity, but they have different data in one column that should be the same (say, customer address). Do you create two customers and hope it doesn't cause problems down the road, or do you choose one and hope for the best, or do you have to hire someone to track these entities down and "fix" the data you're entering?

Worst case scenario you hire data entry operators to print and re-enter the data, but at 180 items/hour, $20 per hour, and 6,000,000 items to enter it's just under $700,000. Further this doesn't fix the normalization problems if the data isn't perfect.

It's a one man, one week job if there are no problems, if the data is perfect, and if the massaging required can all be programmed in (changing periods to commas, for instance, if the number systems are different).

It's months and a team of 10 people if the data going in is bad and the software requirements are unknown.

figmentPez

Staff member
I want a kettle so I can just put it on the stove and wait for the whistle. No staring at the microwave or electric kettle. Going the traditional route.
My electric kettle beeps when it reaches the desired temperature, and boils much faster than the stove does (so much so that I use it to heat part of the water when I'm going to boil pasta, because it's much faster to get the 7 cup maximim of my kettle boiling that way, and some addictional water in the pot, than to wait for it all to boil on the stove.)

My electric kettle beeps when it reaches the desired temperature, and boils much faster than the stove does (so much so that I use it to heat part of the water when I'm going to boil pasta, because it's much faster to get the 7 cup maximim of my kettle boiling that way, and some addictional water in the pot, than to wait for it all to boil on the stove.)
Same. Mine makes a bubbly sound and clicks when ready . Fastest way to heat a few cups of water I have outside of tap.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

2 basic phrases I'm told to take with a grain of salt :

"Oh man, this is the best thing I've ever read! Well. ...bye!

And:

"Oh man I'd TOTALLY bye your comic if I had money. I promise I'll come back though. "

The major point is to CONTROL your rage in these situations .

I'm surprised he flies commercial.
He's just a regular guy. An extremely brilliant and wealthy regular guy, but I don't see a human being capable of faking THAT level of "regular guy" without also expressing some sort of desire to run for public office.
We were debating buying this amazing Zojirushi product, but Kati felt it was too expensive.
I felt the same way, really, but I would've happily paid the extra to only have to buy the one for the rest of my life.

--Patrick

Last edited:
Ahh... :)

Okay, I cheated a bit. The pot isn't here yet, but I got a Mainstays 3qt kettle at Walmart for ~$15 and a box of Twinings black tea bags. This is the Irish Breakfast with just a bit of whole milk.

And a cup and saucer we haven't used in over 10 years.
Pour me a cup! looks good :D

Dave

Staff member
So our work is doing the whole "health score" thing for our insurance premiums. Yeah, it's nothing more than a way for the company to shift costs from the business to the employees, but whatever. I took my second annual health assessment today and just got back the results. Not bad for an old man.

Last year:

2015 Health Screening.png

This year:

2016 Health Screening.png