Dutch, or more accurately Dutch-influenced Afrikaans, gave me a character name that drove the other members of my party absolutely crazy. "Vandervecken Van Vanderveldt"

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Just came back from an amazing science talk about autism. They found links between genes that are expressed in the brain and a common pesticide. I am writing this anon b/c they haven't published the data yet. The pesticide is high in spinach, kale, and other greens. So, it might be prudent to buy organic greens.

I TOLD YOU KALE WAS EVIL
You also told us you love it in soup.

Hasn't there already been a connection between pesticides and learning disabilities? I feel like this is nowhere near new, unless it's just that this is the first definitive proof of a causal link.

--Patrick

Just came back from an amazing science talk about autism. They found links between genes that are expressed in the brain and a common pesticide. I am writing this anon b/c they haven't published the data yet. The pesticide is high in spinach, kale, and other greens. So, it might be prudent to buy organic greens.
My skepticism meter is extremely high. Like incredibly high. Like "organic crap AGAIN???" high. Like the "OMG <insert common harmless chemical here> is only one atom away from <insert holy crap bad chemical here> and it's therefore killing us!11!!1!" high.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

I think some of the organic stuff is fooey (just like the current gluten b.s.). However, the etiology of autism is multi-factorial. There isn't one or two genes linked to the disease. There are 740!!! (https://sfari.org/resources/sfari-gene). The genetics only account for only about 40% of the reason why people develop the disease, and each autism case can have a different set of those gene mutations. The other 40-50% are some underlying factor (environment:smoking/diet/toxin and chemical exposures). So, there are factors that are likely triggering the onset of autism for folks that are predisposed due to their genetics. The idea that a synthetic pesticide (which is highly abundant in some of our food) that is found in the blood serum of folks that ingest these crops could be a trigger for autism isn't out of the realm of possibility.

I didn't mean to sound like an alarmist about it. It is one factor out of thousands that pregnant mothers and infants are exposed to during development.

The joke in the elevator ride after the the seminar was that the news agencies are going to say that spinach causes autism. :facepalm:

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

tl;dr version of the above comment.

That pesticide is one of many possible environmental factors, and it is not likely one environmental factor that leads to autism; there most likely multiple factors. These scientists have some compelling data about this particular one.

So we should eat meat!

bacon KNEEL.jpg

They said the same thing about vaccinations. That's the thing with early studies.

I says Churchill space ponies I'm making gravy without the lumps! Ah ha ha ha ha haaaaa!!!!!
And he says to me, he says to me, YOU GOT STYLE baby, but if your gonna be a real villain you gotta get a gimmick, so I go I says YEAH BABY THATS IT- hiiigh explosives-AH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

MAN I gotta get those UK DVDs one of these days.

Brief dumb story time:

I miss having male rats, because that meant no mice. The girls' piss just isn't strong enough to dissuade mice from entering rat territory.

So tonight I kept thinking I was hearing things, flipping lights on and off. Finally I stopped everything I was doing, just stood in the doorway of the kitchen, and listened in the quiet of the apartment for the slightest nearby sound.

That's when my wife yanked open the bedroom door, which has a big squealy-hinged screech, to come out and use the bathroom. Scared the hell out of me.

Wait wait... So what you're saying is is not vaccines?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

fade

Staff member
So @GasBandit what is the deal with car dealership radio commercials? Why do they always make them sound like the dealer is calling in on a phone from 1925? Is that supposed to convince us that the dealer is so busy moving cars out the door that he can't possibly stop to chat with us?

So @GasBandit what is the deal with car dealership radio commercials? Why do they always make them sound like the dealer is calling in on a phone from 1925? Is that supposed to convince us that the dealer is so busy moving cars out the door that he can't possibly stop to chat with us?
His sales are so sharp and his margin so small he can't afford a proper microphone or more than one take.

GasBandit

Staff member
The car dealer guy is often a control freak. It's how he does things, and as far as he's concerned, his micromanaging of every single thing and insisting it be done exactly a certain way is what has let him prosper in his field. So when he buys advertising, he wants control over every aspect of that as well. Very often that naturally means he will be the one speaking in the commercial - and he doesn't care if he has a nasally voice or a lisp or whatever, he has to be the one to do it. He might even provide his own recording directly - and naturally he'll record it at his office (or even outside on the lot) because he's busy selling cars and so naturally he can't spare an hour to go in to the studio and lay down his voice with the station's quality equipment. Hell, we even once had a car dealer record his voice on his iphone and send it to us, boy that sounded like shit. But you can't tell the guy anything, he wants his way and won't listen to anyone else. Sometimes he might insist someone from the station come out to record him, but most radio stations also don't have good mobile recording equipment (I know mine doesn't). So maybe the radio salesweasel will trot out there with a personal recording device and get it that way. And, of course, the guy has to shout every line because stupid people are instinctively spurred to action (usually doing what is shouted) when they hear urgent shouting. Which also makes for crappy sound.

I remember, once we did a remote broadcast for the local nissan dealer, and their GM was such a control freak he wouldn't let the air jock who was there do anything more than just introduce the GM, then the GM would take the mic and babble for 60+ seconds about what deals were available. All this despite the guy having one of those speech things where every S is bubbled out through the sides of his tongue into his cheeks for the wettest hiss ever. You know, that one time in friends where they mocked one of Monica's old boyfriends SSSHHKTEVE? Because SHHTEVE was SHSHHECKSHY? Or like how Murderface pronounces his S, D, and CH sounds. THAT voice.

Last edited: