I never claimed to be Texan, I prefer to try and pronounce English in a way people from around the world can have a shot at understanding what I say :p
You're just going to have to learn to pronounce things like a true Texan: imagine you've had a stroke and go from there. ;)

Meanwhile, I'm not sure why people in Colorado have trouble pronouncing "buena", but I'm always amused when people not from around here try to pronounce "Stuyvesant" and "Moonachie".

You're just going to have to learn to pronounce things like a true Texan: imagine you've had a stroke and go from there. ;)

Meanwhile, I'm not sure why people in Colorado have trouble pronouncing "buena", but I'm always amused when people not from around here try to pronounce "Stuyvesant" and "Moonachie".
Your pronunciation of Stuyvesant is probably wrong too, no? The guy was Belgian, and it's pronounced the Dutch way, which I can't imagine you guys getting right :p
(well, it's certainly possible. I just expect you to have made a half-way hash of it)

GasBandit

Staff member
Meanwhile, I'm not sure why people in Colorado have trouble pronouncing "buena",
I think they do it on purpose expressly as a sort of verbal "secret handshake," specifically to be able to immediately identify outsiders so that their tourism industry can bring its fleecing cannons to bear all the quicker.

Your pronunciation of Stuyvesant is probably wrong too, no? The guy was Belgian, and it's pronounced the Dutch way, which I can't imagine you guys getting right :p
(well, it's certainly possible. I just expect you to have made a half-way hash of it)
'Round here it's pronounced like this top of this article, although depending on whether your talking about the towns or the high school will affect how strongly you emphasize the "t" at the end. (It's usually a soft "t" or it's dropped completely.)

I think they do it on purpose expressly as a sort of verbal "secret handshake," specifically to be able to immediately identify outsiders so that their tourism industry can bring its fleecing cannons to bear all the quicker.

There's a lot of words in Colorado that aren't pronounced the way they are supposed to be. It's as if people were fascinated by Spanish words, but didn't approve of their pronunciation, so just made their own.

There's a lot of words in Colorado that aren't pronounced the way they are supposed to be. It's as if people were fascinated by Spanish words, but didn't approve of their pronunciation, so just made their own.
"Look, we're in AMERICA, so you need to learn to speak 'MERICAN!"
"But that word is Span-"
" 'MERICA!!!"

GasBandit

Staff member
Up to and including the name of the state, heh.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, here we are, the last fridaaaaaay of the year. Hope you guys liked the MP4s from the last few weeks, after today I'll be returning to form and posting krunk dance loop SWFs that will blow out Dave's speakers.

Happy new year and all that.

Last edited:
That irked me quite a bit when I visited Virginia and they pronounced the town "Beuna Vista" instead of "Buena Vista" like IT'S FUCKING SPELLED!!!! :mad:

Can't work out of this is a victory or rant or what....
-> Just had my birthday
-> Went to Beauty & the Beast musical as a gift from my parents
-> Discover they're playing Jesus Christ Superstar, one of my favorite musicals, next month
-> With friggin' Ted Neeley.
-> Girlfriend hasn't given me her gift yet
-> Girlfriend was going to give me a 4 hour owl workshop
-> About the same cost as two tickets to the show....
-> Only one day we can actually go
-> No tickets available that're decent for their price (1st cartegory and all the way on the side of the 10th row of the balcony? Are you not ashamed?)
-> One other day might be possible
-> No seats available that are any good, except for the very highest price range
-> We're supposed to be saving up, what with the house move coming up
-> Goddammit.
-> Some people say TN is too old for the role now
-> Still gonna get those tickets, though.

It better be awesome.

At the haircut place. Once the kid ahead of me (plus his family) left, the one stylist talked to the other about how sick she was of working and needs a break. That was when she realized I wasn't with the family before me and the store wasn't empty.

This is kinda awkward.

Yet Another Minor Brazelton: Allan Williams, the guy who discovered the Beatles.

And another one - cause 2016 certainly doesn't want to end without taking some more guys with it: Tyrus Wong, artist and inspiration for Bambi.