I find it abominable, but I also don't blame him. If the government had found out, his ranch would have been turned into protected land and he wouldn't have even gotten market rate for it. It LITERALLY would have thrown him out onto the streets.
I read a story once about a spacefaring fellow who had a (mostly) ocean planet he would visit for vacation time. Being the rugged fellow that he was, he enjoyed his freedom on this lifeless, yet scenic world. The story catches up with him as he discovers a green slime creeping up out of the water onto the rocks, and the rage that grips him as he pounds and grinds it into paste, thinking to himself how the rules say that if life is discovered on a planet, it becomes off-limits in order to allow that life to develop however it unfolds. I think it's called "The Invader" or something like that.

--Patrick

I find myself having the strangest bit of 90's nostalgia lately. I think it started when I went to my friend's bridal shower and I ran into people I hadn't heard of/thought about since high school. Lately I've found myself cracking open year books and sifting through old photos, or the few occasions I let my brain wander, I end up thinking about music and movies from that era (usually mid-to-late 90's, so around my 4 years of high school). I definitely don't wish I could go back to being a teenager and I certainly don't think it was a better time, but I just keep feeling this tug at my brain, like, wistfulness? Analysis? I don't even know. Just thoughts and memories pop up and all I can think is, ".....huh. That happened."

Meh, I don't know where I was going with this. I just thought writing it out would help me make sense of it.

Zappit

Staff member
The forum post menu changed, and I'm not sure I like it.

Edit: When I attempted to the above statement, I got an error telling me to make a valid post.

So it's a moody thing, too.

I find myself having the strangest bit of 90's nostalgia lately. I think it started when I went to my friend's bridal shower and I ran into people I hadn't heard of/thought about since high school. Lately I've found myself cracking open year books and sifting through old photos, or the few occasions I let my brain wander, I end up thinking about music and movies from that era (usually mid-to-late 90's, so around my 4 years of high school). I definitely don't wish I could go back to being a teenager and I certainly don't think it was a better time, but I just keep feeling this tug at my brain, like, wistfulness? Analysis? I don't even know. Just thoughts and memories pop up and all I can think is, ".....huh. That happened."

Meh, I don't know where I was going with this. I just thought writing it out would help me make sense of it.

--Patrick

May or may not need a new vehicle. Getting mom in and out of the current '98 Nissan Sentra is becoming increasingly unmanageable. If the possible surgery doesn't stabilize her kneecap, a wheelchair lift is probably going to be necessary. And if that is necessary, whatever assistance the state and feds can provide to be able to afford one will also be necessary.

OTOH, if the surgery is a success and she just has a couple of gimpy knees, I've been looking at some Police Interceptor auctions on eBay just for entertainment purposes tonight. My grandparents had the Mercury version until they were no longer able to drive themselves, so I've got that data going for me.

So ping @Officer_Charon. Whatcha think of a retired Police Interceptor Crown Vic as something to transport a 72-year old lady in? :)

My folks drive a Grand Marquis, they are 86 and 76. Now you may not be able to get someone with gimpy knees into the back seat. Now there is a Lincoln with and extra 6" in the back seat, the L series. All those should be coming off Town Car/Taxi service now.

Heck, you might find an auction in NYC and drive home in style.

I'm watching an episode of Law and Order SVU and the detective determines something is up because "the guy gave us a card for us to contact his best friend. Who doesn't know his best friend's phone number?"

I would say I have two friends that I talk to in some form every day. I don't know either of their phone numbers.

I'm watching an episode of Law and Order SVU and the detective determines something is up because "the guy gave us a card for us to contact his best friend. Who doesn't know his best friend's phone number?" I would say I have two friends that I talk to in some form every day. I don't know either of their phone numbers.
It was a very different time.

--Patrick

I'm watching an episode of Law and Order SVU and the detective determines something is up because "the guy gave us a card for us to contact his best friend. Who doesn't know his best friend's phone number?"

I would say I have two friends that I talk to in some form every day. I don't know either of their phone numbers.
I don't know my husband's phone number.

I know my cell-phone number, my parents' home's phone number, and how to dial (non-)emergency services. Oh, I know the first 4 digits of my wife's phone number!

I'm probably a serial killer, by the looks of it.[DOUBLEPOST=1463268950,1463268548][/DOUBLEPOST]SO's been gone for a week, and she's usually in charge of snapping me out of my topic research fixations... I've spent 3-4 evenings falling down the rabbit hole of computer keyboards, thanks to an off-hand comment by a co-worker. If I can fit it in my budget, I might end up with a Brown Ergodox (EZ/Infinity), and explore switching my layout to something in the Q*MLW* family.

I'm watching an episode of Law and Order SVU and the detective determines something is up because "the guy gave us a card for us to contact his best friend. Who doesn't know his best friend's phone number?" I would say I have two friends that I talk to in some form every day. I don't know either of their phone numbers.

Dave

Staff member
Way to dime me out, asshole. Could've at least blanked out the department name...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
You are messing with me, right? You posted this on Facebook. And it happened 9 years ago. I can't tell if you're serious or not.

Dave

Staff member
So my main computer is still out of commission. I'm loading everything necessary onto the laptop, which has played nicely, but it just doesn't have the resolution that my desktop has and it's been killing me. Found out today that even though I have it plugged in to my router directly it's been using the wifi signal and setting my refresh rate to 59 Hz. Turned off the wifi and set refresh to 60 Hz...it's like a different PC. Faster (100 MB/s from 50) and you can actually get real HD and read the text. It's amazing.

Wish I'd have found this sooner.

Turned off the wifi and set refresh to 60 Hz...it's like a different PC. Faster (100 MB/s from 50) and you can actually get real HD and read the text. It's amazing.
...how is your refresh rate affecting your Internet speed? I'm confused.

--Patrick

Henderson Texas had a 5-way intersection that was handled for years with a HUGE roundabout. I guess they got tired of having traffic backed up during rush hour. Because several years ago they dug up the circle and replaced it with a traffic light. Now they don't have a traffic jam during rush hour. Now they have a traffic jam all fucking day. If you get caught by the red light, be prepared for over a 10 minute wait.

Roundabouts aren't hard to drive through, and make for pretty quick traffic... In theory. The problem is that people are stupid and try to stop at them.