Cajungal

Staff member
No offense intended to any dads out there, but I'm noticing a weird pattern with my old high school friends on facebook. Within a month of finding out their wife or girlfriend is pregnant, their cheeks just poof out. They don't gain weight anywhere else, but they develop this rosy chipmunk face that reaches its apex at the first newborn picture. It's fascinating.

Just made myself laugh out loud at work by overthinking a scene from Little Mermaid. It's the "Kiss the Girl" scene in the lagoon. It occurred to me that if Eric isn't magically attuned to the animal voices and able to hear them as speech, all he's hearing is a deafening cacophony of bird calls, frog song, insect chirps, and other assorted animal sounds. And picturing that scene from his point of view was hilarious.

No offense intended to any dads out there, but I'm noticing a weird pattern with my old high school friends on facebook. Within a month of finding out their wife or girlfriend is pregnant, their cheeks just poof out. They don't gain weight anywhere else, but they develop this rosy chipmunk face that reaches its apex at the first newborn picture. It's fascinating.
I'm not supposed to tell you this, but we hold in our cheeks to maintain our society's unrealistic standards of beauty.

Dave

Staff member
Watching football. Did you know it's almost Christmas? You can tell because every other commercial is Santa bringing a car to someone with a big bow. Or driving one instead of a sleigh.

Not even Thanksgiving and I'm already sick of Christmas.

It's from all the grinning and posturing.

--Patrick

Patrick is correct, the grinning and posturing cause inflammation of the cheeks and give us the "chipmunk" appearance, the deflation happens as soon as the first diaper has been filled with whatever substance that is that newborns find to fill the diaper with. It's truly nasty, nasty stuff.

fade

Staff member
Sometimes if I'm the only person over 30 who still likes Christmas. Everyone seems to complain about it lately.

Cajungal

Staff member
Sometimes if I'm the only person over 30 who still likes Christmas. Everyone seems to complain about it lately.
I love Christmas, but I get sick of Christmas music and shopping really fast. I love that my family has several parties throughout the month, though. :) I look forward to that all year.

I love Christmas, but I get sick of Christmas music and shopping really fast. I love that my family has several parties throughout the month, though. :) I look forward to that all year.
I feel similarly. Stores selling Christmas decorations in August makes me tire of Christmas quickly. I love spending time with friends and family. Watching the looks on my kids' faces on Christmas morning is priceless. It's just overwhelming to get bombarded with Holly Jolly for 1/3 of the year.

I have no problem with Christmas.
It's the fan club that scares me.

If you want to start celebrating Christmas in July, that's fine, but you should move to Frankenmuth so you can be around the other elves who think the same way. Don't be bringing your Holiday cheer around me! Separate but equal, that's all I'm saying.

--Patrick

Last edited:

fade

Staff member
In complete honesty, I haven't seen the gun-jumping Christmas stuff the last couple of years. I mean, sure, after Halloween, all bets are off, but I haven't seen much before that.

Now you know how we feel about you ALL YEAR.

:p

I'm with you. Actually, I was more tired of it years ago, but now that I can spend it however I please, it's good. Been looking forward to watching Christmas specials and movies--but only after Thanksgiving.

In complete honesty, I haven't seen the gun-jumping Christmas stuff the last couple of years. I mean, sure, after Halloween, all bets are off, but I haven't seen much before that.
I think part of it is living in Hawaii we have to shop early to get things shipped in time or order early so they make it here in time. The Navy Exchange store has been putting out Christmas things since the end of July this year.

You know its supposed to be after thanksgiving right?
If elected, I will introduce legislation that would mark the start of the official Christmas season as the moment Santa Claus crosses the center line of Herald Square in the annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. No decorations may be hung, merchandise displayed or sold, nor music played until such time, on pain of death. Or torture. Or torture then death. Or death then torture. Whichever is funnier.

Only exceptions to this rule shall be the Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack by the Vince Guaraldi Trio, and Tis the Season for Los Straitjackets.

Last edited:
If elected, I will introduce legislation that would mark the start of the official Christmas season as the moment Santa Clause crosses the center line of Herald Square in the annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. No decorations may be hung, merchandise displayed or sold, nor music played until such time, on pain of death. Or torture. Or torture then death. Or death then torture. Whichever is funnier.

Only exceptions to this rule shall be the Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack by the Vince Guaraldi Trio, and Tis the Season for Los Straitjackets.
This is the strongest campaign promise I've heard so far. You have my vote.

If elected, I will introduce legislation that would mark the start of the official Christmas season as the moment Santa Claus crosses the center line of Herald Square in the annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. No decorations may be hung, merchandise displayed or sold, nor music played until such time, on pain of death. Or torture. Or torture then death. Or death then torture. Whichever is funnier.

By your statement, the Christmas parade couldn't happen. So there would never be Christmas. Everyone in front of Santa is displaying Christmas, therefore that would all be banned and the entire parade would be 1 float.

By your statement, the Christmas parade couldn't happen. So there would never be Christmas. Everyone in front of Santa is displaying Christmas, therefore that would all be banned and the entire parade would be 1 float.
By it's very name, it is a Thanksgiving parade. Everybody ELSE has to wait. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1448200814,1448200641][/DOUBLEPOST]Unrelated, my quote of the day...
Will Hermes of Rolling Stone said:
Renaissance's Annie Haslam brought a feminine energy to prog rock's sausage fest: See the title track, the band's signature, which she ends with a spectacularly held note that Geddy Lee couldn't hit if his balls were in a panini press.
The blurb for Ashes are Burning. Number 31 in Rolling Stone's 50 Greatest Prog Albums of All Time.

fade

Staff member
I love seeing the stores decorated and hearing the carols. I understand people who work in retail get sick of it, and I'm sorry about that. I grew up in the middle of nowhere and the only time I really went to a store or a mall was at Christmas time. Christmas was a good time at home, and it has that association for me.

I love seeing the stores decorated and hearing the carols. I understand people who work in retail get sick of it, and I'm sorry about that. I grew up in the middle of nowhere and the only time I really went to a store or a mall was at Christmas time. Christmas was a good time at home, and it has that association for me.
It's not that I don't like the Xmas season, it's just they need to respect the right time for it. I've got a stack of old Xmas records just waiting for lunchtime Thursday to go into the rotation for the rest of the year. :)

By it's very name, it is a Thanksgiving parade. Everybody ELSE has to wait. :)
CALLED the Thanksgiving Day parade, yes, but everyone is DECORATED for Christmas. You stated that "no decorations could be hung," yet everyone before the Santa float (and the Santa float too) is decorated for Christmas. You have to clarify or it sets up a great Supreme Court challenge because the Thanksgiving Day parade is decorated for Christmas before Santa comes through Herald Square.

CALLED the Thanksgiving Day parade, yes, but everyone is DECORATED for Christmas. You stated that "no decorations could be hung," yet everyone before the Santa float (and the Santa float too) is decorated for Christmas. You have to clarify or it sets up a great Supreme Court challenge because the Thanksgiving Day parade is decorated for Christmas before Santa comes through Herald Square.
Hence the everybody ELSE. :p :)

I absolutely LOVE Christmas: I love the decorations, the music, the tv specials, the gift-giving/hunting, etc. The day after Thanksgiving I go into Christmas overload until December 26 (although the decorations don't come down until after New Years). But for me, there's something nice about having simple, calm Thanksgiving as a break between the mania of Halloween and Christmas. I think I can love Christmas so much because it has it's own, defined time of year. It's something to look forward to. To me, the "Christmas creep" kinda takes away from that special time.

I'm reminded of when my band played at the Texas Renaissance Festival. For 8 weeks, we set up in the same designated spot, and played the same rotation of 40 or so tunes. Patrons loved it, but all the retail shops around us got so sick of us :/

For us it starts super early because thanksgiving was back in early October.

We have a thing in our house. My birthday is late November and our son's is early December. We don't decorate until after his birthday.

I'd like to point out that I'm not sick of it because I work in retail. I like Christmas. The spirit, the giving, the singing (I have 20+yrs of vocal under my belt), the traditions, and so on.
I suppose the best parallel I could draw would be the concept of the pre-game show. If I love sportsball, and there's a big sportsball game coming up, then I would probably want to watch my sportsball game on a big screen with treats and family and decorations, etc. I got no problem with a pre-game show. I got no problem with pre-game hype. But when the pre-game hype starts even before the quarterfinals, and the pre-game show starts 6 hours before the dice flip is even scheduled, that's when even I, a devoted fan of sportsball, will start rolling my eyes and yell at the screen, "Enough, already!"

--Patrick