GasBandit

Staff member
I can't find anything about washing the dishes. BREAKING dishes, yes (supposed to be bad luck to do on Chinese New Year's, also sweeping the floor is considered bad luck, and so is washing your hair), but no mention of washing the dishes.

So, Jun comes up to me and and says that I ought to wash the dishes today. Its the day after Chinese New Year, you see.

A traditional way to greet someone for the new year is to say "恭喜发财“ (Gong Xi Fa Cai) Essentially wishing someone to be happy and prosperous.

Jun says, that day after Chinese New Year is especially important, and the husband should wash the dishes so that we can be prosperous for the rest of the year, essentially changing 恭喜发财 to 公洗发财 ( also pronounced Gong Xi Fa Cai)---except this time, the meaning is "(A) husband washing (dishes) for great prosperity."

While I'm not sure if this is true, I'm using it anyway! (I'm going to ask my mother in law about it tonight when she comes for 火鍋 tonight. And then make Mr. Z clean up!)

At my second job, I work at a really prestigious college. Not Ivy League, but just under. Pretty much every student here comes from a family with money and connections. So that's kind of a change from the podunk junior college that's my main job (that I'm ready to quit). This past Tuesday night, though, something happened that I feel I have to share. Now, as part of my job, I'm in charge of the work study students at the library, and they're all pretty good kids. One girl, however, just took the cake for being stereotypical. She came to work in leggings / yoga pants and uggs, and when I said I was going to get a cup of coffee (the library has a cafe attached to it that's open until 11pm), she said, "Oh, you know they have pumpkin spice lattes available again!"

GasBandit

Staff member
If you bought a Lenovo laptop recently, might want to scan it for adware.

http://techraptor.net/content/lenovo-laptops-ship-with-superfish-adware-pre-installed

Turns out Lenovo intentionally preinstalled superfish on those laptops, and when questioned about it touted it as a benefit to users (the same line that every sleazebag adware company uses to try to keep themselves defined as "grayware" or "potentially unwanted programs" instead of the viruses they actually are).

Remember folks, there's no such thing as a free lunch, and you get what you pay for when it comes to computers (and electronics in general, usually). If you're not the one paying, you're the one being sold to whoever is.

I have probably heard the song Killer Queen a thousand times...yet I have just learned that was the name of said song today. Its with a lot of old songs for me.

Cajungal

Staff member
Usually when a friend has a baby, they continue to look like themselves--maybe a bit more tired. But I recently saw a photo of a guy I knew who just had a son. The most recent picture of him was like this weird old dad transformation. Hard-looking, slicked down dad/business hair had replaced his relaxed wavy look, ultrawhite khakis, a pastel shirt, and these thin wirey little glasses. I didn't even know he needed glasses. It was just a strange "stepford dad" moment that could have only been more perfectly weird if he'd been wearing sandals with black socks and watching Fox news...

Usually when a friend has a baby, they continue to look like themselves--maybe a bit more tired. But I recently saw a photo of a guy I knew who just had a son. The most recent picture of him was like this weird old dad transformation. Hard-looking, slicked down dad/business hair had replaced his relaxed wavy look, ultrawhite khakis, a pastel shirt, and these thin wirey little glasses. I didn't even know he needed glasses. It was just a strange "stepford dad" moment that could have only been more perfectly weird if he'd been wearing sandals with black socks and watching Fox news...
I had hair and not a one of them was white!!!

Well, I'll probably be here for 4 more hours, but I guess for the rest of you. It's fridaaaaay.

Nope. Again. 7 degrees out and I have to be in in just under 2 hours. Not counting the mad dash to walmart beforehand to grab dry goods. Up to a foot of snow on it's way starting just after 1am. Chances of it being clear by the time I get to my Sunday off? Not good. :fu::rage::cry:

Ok, so I'm reading an old Rolling Stone article about the Kids in the Hall from 1988. It's pretty neat. Then I got to this sentence and I'm baffled:

The Kids all play women flawlessly, and their shows exude a perverse androgyny (One of them is gay; two are dyslexic.)"

How is androgyny and the ability to play women somehow connected to dyslexia?

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Ok, so I'm reading an old Rolling Stone article about the Kids in the Hall from 1988. It's pretty neat. Then I got to this sentence and I'm baffled:

The Kids all play women flawlessly, and their shows exude a perverse androgyny (One of them is gay; two are dyslexic.)"

How is androgyny and the ability to play women somehow connected dyslexia?
Frankly (HA), I was never quite convinced that Scott was the only gay one.

Colorado weather is amazing. The forecasted snow has changed 3 or 4 times today, and just now it went from chilly and light tiny flurries to windy as fuck and white out. I wonder if it will stick.

GasBandit

Staff member
My local Walmart should change its name to " buy our shit or don't, we don't care." it looks like a war zone in here, I can't find anything.

GasBandit

Staff member
Lol. One of our program directors is out with a herniated disc. Now he's on an IV drip of painkillers, and just now he called me and told me he loved me.

I thought my mom and stepdad were having a hard time with their money, but I see she's got yet another flight to Florida to see my sister's kid. I get that she wants to see him as much as she can, but it's stuff like this that makes me see why they're always struggling. I hope she's at least doing some frequent flyer miles thing.

Every time I see something like this 800 dollar, foot and a half tall, 20 pound, diecast Optimus Prime, it takes ALL of my willpower not to fall back into my old habits and buy it and every Transformer toy in a 9000 mile radius of myself.