As for Trader Joe's... I already rave about them enough, though. One example: I bought a box of chocolates before Christmas, a 1lb box for $10. I figured at that price they'd probably be somewhere between Hershey's and Dove in quality. I expected middling quality, something that I could have a piece of, and be happy with, without then wanting to eat the entire box. I was wrong, so very wrong. They were some of the best boxed chocolates I've had, and I was never able to stop at one.
My biggest issue with TJ's is that they introduce products for a short period, then never have them again. I used to hate it when I found something my whole family liked and after a month or two I couldn't get it anymore.

figmentPez

Staff member
My biggest issue with TJ's is that they introduce products for a short period, then never have them again. I used to hate it when I found something my whole family liked and after a month or two I couldn't get it anymore.
Yes! They used to have fantastic tiny canned shrimp, worked great as an addition to ramen/instant noodles, but they don't carry them anymore.

I wish I could eat more shrimp, after like two my throat starts itching. Better than when I was a kid, there is no worse day than learning you're allergic to something. Freakin' people today learn from allergists, I LEARNED THE HARD WAY DAMMIT! From getting an itchy tounge, passing out, and pukin' - HARD. BUT I have evolved since then, all I need to do is conquer my crustacean weakness- AND I SHALL BE A GOD AMONGST MEN!

I wish I could eat more shrimp, after like two my throat starts itching. Better than when I was a kid, there is no worse day than learning you're allergic to something. Freakin' people today learn from allergists, I LEARNED THE HARD WAY DAMMIT! From getting an itchy tounge, passing out, and pukin' - HARD. BUT I have evolved since then, all I need to do is conquer my crustacean weakness- AND I SHALL BE A GOD AMONGST MEN!
I haven't eaten shrimp in like 7 years now. I was suddenly hit with shellfish allergies at 16, and for a few years I continued to eat Shrimp anyway but just took Benadryl before hand. Then I started noticing my reaction occurring just from being around shrimp, and I had to tel myself to stop.

And I freaking love shrimp. And lobster and crab and oyster and mussels and all those good things I can't eat anymore

Also, almonds. I don't want to be allergic anymore...

fade

Staff member
Screaming kids when you're not a parent: "Jeez, what is wrong with that kid? What's wrong with those parents? How can they just tune it out?"

Screaming kids when you're a parent: "Jeez, shut up kid. There's literally nothing else I can do. Everyone is looking at me like they want to murder me. I wish this kid would shut up."

I originally posted a high five gif underneath the link. Then I thought about those of us here who are parents of little kids and thought better of it. :oops:

My sister's kids are both autistic, and as a result most of my nephew's friends are similarly autistic, or ADHD, etc. I totally get that sometimes as a parent you really can't do anything.

My sister told me about one of my nephew's therapists, who was in a store with her child. Her child was screaming and crying and there was nothing she could do so she was waiting it out. Another lady came up to her and said "excuse me, but I think *I* can help calm your child down." Rather than tell her to go fuck herself, the therapist decided this would be funny and said "please. Go right ahead."
The lady proceeded to try speaking calmly to this screaming little girl. The little girl wouldn't even look at her. Didn't respond to a thing the lady said. Eyes shut screaming red faced and crying. It was like she wasn't even there. Finally the woman gave up and said something along the lines of "well, I give up. Your child simply cannot be reasoned with."
To which the therapist replied "She's deaf." and walked away

GasBandit

Staff member
Spurious Correlations is a website created by Tyler Vigen that finds correlations between two completely unrelated sets data. For example, there’s a correlation between the age of Miss America and murders by steam, hot vapors, and hot objects. Who knew the number of people who drowned by falling into a swimming pool correlates with the number of films Nicolas Cage appeared in.

Vigen started this project to encourage more people to become interested in statistics and numerical research. “I created this website as a fun way to look at correlations and to think about data. Empirical research is interesting, and I love to wonder about how variables work together. The charts on this site aren’t meant to imply causation nor are they meant to create a distrust for research or even correlative data. Rather, I hope this project fosters interest in statistics and numerical research.”

The lady proceeded to try speaking calmly to this screaming little girl. The little girl wouldn't even look at her. Didn't respond to a thing the lady said. Eyes shut screaming red faced and crying. It was like she wasn't even there. Finally the woman gave up and said something along the lines of "well, I give up. Your child simply cannot be reasoned with."
To which the therapist replied "She's deaf." and walked away
I have to say, though, at least the woman remained calm and kept at it, sticking to her guns and attempting to offer a solution that she thought might help.

GasBandit

Staff member
So I was at the store, and I saw some canned food, and it occured to me - what happens when they introduce a diuretic into Hawaii's drinking water supply?

Really, all I want VLC to do for me is play any media I throw at it.
Let me worry about how I am going to get it to another display, if I so desire. You just worry about playing my files.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Really, all I want VLC to do for me is play any media I throw at it.
Let me worry about how I am going to get it to another display, if I so desire. You just worry about playing my files.

--Patrick
The only solution I ever had that successfully streamed movies that were stored on my home computer, over VPN, to my phone, was based on VLC.

GasBandit

Staff member
You know, I got to wondering... who was the first person to use the phrase "I promised myself I wouldn't cry?" Even my considerable google-fu can't pierce the myriad layers of copycats and intentional references.