fade

Staff member
You know, karate gets such a bad rap. Partly because people use it as generic term for any martial art. Partly because of all the bad strip mall dojos. Partly because of some bad but public examples. Partly because it gets nerfed for kids' classes. It's a shame because real Okinawan karate is beautiful and deadly. It's designed to disable and kill without a weapon. Hence the name.

It's a shame because real Okinawan karate is beautiful and deadly.
Tell me about it. It's been something like 30 years since my last Isshin-ryu class, and I've pretty much lamented the fact that I haven't been able to continue it at least once a week since then.

--Patrick

A lady in her 50s says "bingle jells" in a cutsie baby voice. "The bingle jell fell off my hat! I need to put my bingle jell back on"

and I haven't murdered her once. not even once!

My mom has decided she wants to learn the guitar. My sister and I got her one of those beginner sets last year. It's mostly sat since then. This Christmas she said she wants to put more effort into learning, so she asked for a guitar lesson manual and a tuning app for her phone. Done.

Now I'm taking that as a challenge to do something similar. After playing sousaphone in marching bands from junior high through college, I gravitate more towards bass. Tempting.

The music store where I got the book for mom has a used bass for ~$90. Xmas bonus is still pending. Hmm. I just might. :D

fade

Staff member
Coincidence! My son asked for a bass for Christmas. I got a nice Fender from Guitar Center's used shop for about $100. They have pretty good prices and a huge selection. I got a nicer amp for him than I have for my guitar.

I got a full sized bass for the inevitable drop of interest that will happen in 4 months. Then, free bass for me!

They have a stage band at his school, and their current bass player (the band director's son) is really good. He's better than most adults I've seen. The band did a Christmas concert, and they were pretty impressive for middle schoolers who have only been rehearsing for a few months. They did "I Wish" by Stevie Wonder, and the bassist rocked it.

GasBandit

Staff member
Interesting question raised by this news piece... how (other than by the obvious - spanking) do you punish a blind child who is using his cane to hit other students?

Apparently you make him use a pool noodle instead.

Dakota Nafzinger, who was born with bilateral anopthalmia, which left him without eyes, had the cane confiscated after a bus driver claimed he hit another student with one the school had furnished, according to the channel. In its place, the Gracemor Elementary School student was given the bent, green pool noodle because, according to a North Kansas City School District spokeswoman, he fidgets and needs something to hold...

His mother, Rachel, said it is unfair that his punishment involves something that he needs to get around. The report pointed out that he attended his sister's concert with the noodle.

"It's a lot harder with this," the boy told the station. "Can't feel things."​
(via Fox News)

Interesting question raised by this news piece... how (other than by the obvious - spanking) do you punish a blind child who is using his cane to hit other students?
Just mention to the other kids: "hey, wanna see this neat trick you can do with stumbling blocks?"

How do you punish a non-blind child who is punching other children? Cuts his hands off, clearly.
That would be equivalent, if this kept the boy from ever using a cane again, and was also barbaricly painful, and... Ok, it just isn't equivalent.

I bet he won't hit anyone with the cane again.

fade

Staff member
Let's translate posts from English to HCGLNS to Yoshimickster back to English again and see what we end up with.

My lizard died. I don't really know what to do.

I'm mostly relieved. I've had it for fifteen years, and she was blind and pain in the ass to keep. I can't bury her because the ground is frozen, and also, I probably wouldn't bury her anyway. The garbage seems unceremonious but...

I am going to throw her in the garbage.

I am going to throw her in the garbage.
Please have more presence of mind/decorum than some idiot owners at the apartments where I used to live.
They threw an unusually large number of belongings just out in front of their apartment when they left (or were evicted, I don't know). One of these items was an iguana in a cage. IN MARCH. Poor thing looked posed like it was just frozen in place so as not to attract attention, but I could tell by looking closely at it that it was actually frozen. For all I could see, it had not been there long (a day or so, tops) and I briefly wondered if it could've been warmed and revived, but since its skin was torn in spots from rough cage handling and I think a toe or something was broken off, at best it would've revived briefly only to bleed out from wounds.

...so don't do that, please.

--Patrick

Uhhh

It's like five inches long, and there were live crickets trying to eat it. I don't think putting it in the garbage was dignified or even the best idea, but waking up to it tomorrow with more of it eaten by crickets did seem worse. I guess I could have kept it out of the cage, and had it cremated or otherwise disposed of, but, it was a lizard. I mostly just wanted it gone after it was dead.

My second wife and I had an iguana (and I still have the scars from it kicking back and laying my forearms open when I tried to pick it up once). It was pretty large when it died, and I was in the same boat. I ended up wrapping it up in a plastic garbage bag and leaving it in the trash. I figured, physically, it was no worse than throwing out food that had gone bad. I was living in a rental house at the time, and didn't think the landlord would appreciate me digging up his back yard to bury a 4 foot long animal.

I since learned that I should have contacted the city about a dead animal pickup which they would have done at no charge.