GasBandit

Staff member
The cat, when I was not looking, managed somehow to pull over a 55 gallon trash can. I immediately channeled Will Farrell in Anchorman.

I suppose it means you're getting old when people 10 years younger than you are starting to post "Nostalgia" posts on facebook.

I suppose it means you're getting old when people 10 years younger than you are starting to post "Nostalgia" posts on facebook.
Press like if you were a child of the 90's...[DOUBLEPOST=1399495988,1399495927][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think it's when you realize (of all the crap things to survive, by the way) the Power Rangers have been around 2/3 of your life and still continue to be.
The Little Mermaid is closer in time to the Moon Shot, than it is to today.

I think Ann (or was it Nancy?) Wilson said that what made her feel suddenly old was unexpectedly hearing one of their songs made into elevator music.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Despite working at a broadcasting company with an Urban station, I've never heard any of the works of Drake OR Jay-Z. I wish I could say the same for Nicki Minaj.

GasBandit

Staff member
... I like all of those :(
I didn't say I didn't like them (the first two), I've just never heard them. The rest of the internet won't shut up about them, and so I'm slightly curious, but I know that's a bell you can't un-ring so I'm content to let them pass into obscurity without taking the risk. I've liked almost nobody in hip hop since Sir Mix-a-Lot.

But yeah, Nicki Minaj's discography should be sufficient justification to drag her before the Hague in irons.

I feel like BIll Nye the Science guy. Jet went for his bi-weekly library trip today...but chose very few story books. Instead, he was in the non-fiction section the entire time and picked a wide assortment of books that he has been quizzing me on or having me read to him on and off all day.

His topics?

-Space (pretty neat book by national geographic kids)
-Baking (this made me hungry and sent him checking the cupboards every few seconds)
-Gardening (since we now have a yard he keep talking about making a garden)
-Backyard exploring

I'm used to him wanting at least one book about something 'real' (past topics: pirates, volcanoes, arms and armor, cleopatra, etc)

Is this a trend I should get used to? A lot of these books are beyond his very limited reading level....

I feel like BIll Nye the Science guy. Jet went for his bi-weekly library trip today...but chose very few story books. Instead, he was in the non-fiction section the entire time and picked a wide assortment of books that he has been quizzing me on or having me read to him on and off all day.

His topics?

-Space (pretty neat book by national geographic kids)
-Baking (this made me hungry and sent him checking the cupboards every few seconds)
-Gardening (since we now have a yard he keep talking about making a garden)
-Backyard exploring

I'm used to him wanting at least one book about something 'real' (past topics: pirates, volcanoes, arms and armor, cleopatra, etc)

Is this a trend I should get used to? A lot of these books are beyond his very limited reading level....
If you're lucky.

--Patrick
may whatever god or goddess you believe in smile upon you, I hope he never loses the thirst for knowledge, he will be heads and tails above his peers if keeps it up.

may whatever god or goddess you believe in smile upon you, I hope he never loses the thirst for knowledge, he will be heads and tails above his peers if keeps it up.
Oh! I enjoy seeing what he picks up! Don't get me wrong!

It's just, man, I feel like he's disappointed in me when I can't answer one of his million questions. I know there's no shame in not knowing and I admit when I don't instead of pulling a 'Calvins dad' but...sometimes I just want to read a cute little story, you know?

dont be afraid to tell him its alright not to know, but its important to make the effort to find out if you can. its something I live by with my little family members.

Also, he was very sad to find out there were no books on 'giant gundams'. I told him they don't really exist but his dad showwed him that scale gundam in japan and he saw Pacfic Rim and now he NEEDS to know about giant robots.

Instead he got a book about the human body because "people are like soft robots" but he wasn't happy.

Now looking for giant robot books.

Oh! I enjoy seeing what he picks up! Don't get me wrong!

It's just, man, I feel like he's disappointed in me when I can't answer one of his million questions. I know there's no shame in not knowing and I admit when I don't instead of pulling a 'Calvins dad' but...sometimes I just want to read a cute little story, you know?
He may move back and forth between the different types of books. I wouldn't count out cute stories yet. :)

If he asks and you don't know the answer, a good thing might be to tell him, "let's find out together". It'll give you guys something to bond over, and I think he'll feel more interested in finding the answer than you already knowing it. I don't think he's disappointed in you, but from his perspective he may think it means no one knows or no one has ever thought to ask.

In a short answer, yes. Noah has always been like this. He picked out "fact" books (mostly on dinosaurs, but occasionally on sharks or other animals) that were for kids, but grade levels ahead of what I thought he could comprehend. I made it my mission to find kid's fiction that he would like based on his non-fiction interests. To this day when he goes to the library he comes home with 4 or 5 books that are non-fiction/reference and one or two fiction books that I've helped him pick. Captain Raptor has been a favorite since he was in kindergarten.

If you're looking for a robot-type of book that is fiction, maybe try The Iron Giant by Ted Hughes.

maybe try The Iron Giant by Ted Hughes.
Originally titled, "The Iron Man," I think. I thought about recommending this book, but I haven't read it, so I don't know how much departure there is from the movie.

Maybe you can find some of the old Johnny Sokko episodes online?

--Patrick

Probably too young for the likes of Cosmos but see if you can find Magic School Bus or Bill Nye the Science Guy episodes.

We streamed Magic School Bus from Netflix. There's only one season on Amazon.[DOUBLEPOST=1399534473,1399534237][/DOUBLEPOST]
If he asks and you don't know the answer, a good thing might be to tell him, "let's find out together". It'll give you guys something to bond over, and I think he'll feel more interested in finding the answer than you already knowing it.
We do this a lot. When one of the kids asks us something that we don't have an answer for or aren't sure if our answer is exactly right, we bring them over to the laptop and look up the info we need. Since Lily is not reading yet we try to find pictures or video to show her. Noah can read very well, but it is sometimes easier to explain things when he has a visual representation, too.

Probably too young for the likes of Cosmos but see if you can find Magic School Bus or Bill Nye the Science Guy episodes.
I still love the Magic School Bus. I was never a big Bill Nye fan for his show, but I do enjoy the guy's charisma and passion. Plus my wifi network was "Bill Wi the Science Fi" for a long time.[DOUBLEPOST=1399567022,1399566680][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm not a parent and will never pretend to know shit about shit or give parenting advice, so take this as you will, but I think 'reading levels' are bullshit. I would sit in my bedroom for hours with a pile of books and the family dictionary. I was scored at 10 years old to be reading at a university level. I don't think that's special, or because I'm supersmart or whatever, it's just because I was curious and I wanted to know more, and I wanted to read more.

Meanwhile, my brother wanted to build tree forts and collect things. Was he reading level 'lower'? I mean, yeah, but that's bullshit, because he didn't sit around and read all day, instead he got a lot of fun, physical and practical education.

What I mean is, he may have a limited level now, but it's only going to improve because he challenges it with books beyond it. And if he loses interest and starts to build skateboard ramps in your backyard, well, don't panic, he's not limiting his reading level, he's just exploring.

I think 'reading levels' are bullshit.
This. I let my kids read what they want. Lily isn't an independent reader yet, but if she asks us to read a particular book to her we will. The only thing we look out for with both kids is whether the content is appropriate for their age according to our own standards (eg: no sex, drugs, or gruesome violence). Noah read The Hobbit in 1st grade, followed by the LotR books. Lily has recently asked us to read The Hobbit to her and she's only in pre-kindergarten. I don't expect her to get symbolism or metaphor, but she understands Bilbo is a good guy, Gandalf makes magic, the dwarves want to go home, and Smaug is "a big doody". I think that sums it up pretty well. :D

(eg: no sex, drugs, or gruesome violence)
So, my mom wouldn't let me watch Jurassic Park when I was little, because she thought it was too gruesome/scary. But she let me get the book out of the library. I believe I was ten.

I learned a lot of words. Like genetics. And fuck.

As for gruesome, "...the raptor was jerking its head, tugging at Wu's intestines even though Wu was still alive, still feebly reaching up with his hands to push the big head away, he was being eaten while he was still alive..."

Oh, mom. I love her. She doesn't know, of course, to this day, even. And I'm pretty sure she still hasn't seen the movie.

To be fair, I allow a much higher level of violence in books because it's somehow different from seeing it play out on a screen. You can read something and choose not to picture it in livid details, but what has been seen...

GasBandit

Staff member
I think a lot of times it just has to do with not getting the kid worked the fuck up. It's easier to get excited and spazzy from what you see happening rather than what you read happening.[DOUBLEPOST=1399573300,1399573187][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well, I realized that I've listened to Couch Potato so much that when I listen to Lose Yourself, it doesn't sound right.
You're gonna LOSE your mind watching TV
They told me
They'd scold me
But I'd still tune in every show
My cable gets C-SPAN, TV-Land, and HBO
The Travel Channel, Discovery, and Lifetime, yo